Gaming Is the Wii really lacking in games?

r1cky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, but then again look @ the DS in its initial year. All it had was basically a few first party games. I say the Wii has a lot of potential (I'm looking mainly @ the possible future 'channels') compared to the DS so Nintendo better use it well.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Full rant

I flipped through entire library of PS2 games and found 5 games that are worth buying used (bought 4 of them used, looking for a used Okami). Maybe because I've played a lot with my roommates PS2, but in both North America and Japan not so many games grab my attention.

So someone may find only a few games interesting from a console that's been around for years, PS3 and Wii's brand new so it will naturally look like they lack games, but don't listen to people who never played many games of that console.
(For example, there's only ONE 360 game that interests me which is Blue Dragon. But that doesn't mean 360 lacks good games, it just means none of the games fit my taste. I'm wrong to expect Japanese taste games to dominate American console, so I don't use the phrase "it lacks (good) games" And, if someone gave me a 360 to try out different games who knows if I'd be enjoying Gears of War)

I don't own a Wii, my girlfriend does, and I sometimes wish I had both PS3 and Wii because of Wii's games. People saying it lacks games should play it first, and from my NDS experience games that I spend money on get way better rating from me. If you own a Wii and think it lacks games (Why did you buy the console then?) I don't know what to suggest.

I think big games coming out every months really could hurt my health, Lair-Heavenly Sword-GTA4-Assassin's Creed for me, Mario Strikers Charged - Metroid Prime 3 - (somehow survive September) - Mario Galaxy - Smash Bros Brawl for Wii. Can you really keep up with all the games coming out? I don't think I can't even keep up with the most game lacking console PS3 (claimed by quite a number of people)'s game coming out (So I decided to skip Ratchet & Clank, bladestorm, Uncharted, DMC4 for time being, probably will be able to play them next year?)

I apologize for mix up of Wii and PS3, but I found it funny that I have to listen to some zealots trying to make other consoles look bad.

I wonder if those people mean "xxx console has lack of games because I can play 5 games a month for free by downloading and running on my hacked firmware but other consoles don't let me"

Well even I would buy a 360 to play multi platform games for free if there are enough of them to counter the cost of getting 360.

hrmm

I said it lacks quality games IMO I'm allowed an opinion believe it or not.

I don't have a PS3...only a Wii and i bought one because i thought the games would make much better use of the new controls...not waggle=button press.

I don't even have a 360 yet but it has the best games released and the best games coming out.

IMFHO!

and: I play my DS the most so it's not like i'm some microsoft fanboy

also: I only ever have time to play games on the weekend and my Wii hasn't been touched in months..not since i finished Zelda.

No my Wii is not hacked so it has nothing to do with playing '5 games a weekend'???!!!

The PS3 is an oversized paper weight!

IMO

(although i admit it has potential...)

serious_sean

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I own all 3 consoles, and love my DS and PSP. So far, the wii has proven to be the worst purchase.

1. The control methods on almost every Wii title i've played have screamed for an analog stick or more buttons. An accelerometer is imprecise by nature, since you have to change your rate of acceleration before it can measure, and the IR has noticable lag. I am upset with Sony for copying the accelerometer and angry with Team Ninja for including it in the otherwise excellent Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

2. As little as i care about graphics, they are an eyesore compared to hi-res. The artistry may be good for some titles, but the lack of resolution makes my eyes sad.

3. The online services and downloadable title available on the other systems destroy the Wii's, it's almost incomprehensible. How about some original WiiWare, Nintendo? or at least a new coat of paint for the same game's you've been peddling for 20 years. Look at Prince of Persia on XBLA; an update to a classic game with improved controls and added content. If you did this with Mario 64, I wouldn't have had $40 worth of unused Wii money sitting, waiting for use.

The perfect example of the Wii's lameness is Kororinpa: Marble Mania. This game is extremely similar to marble blast ultra on XBLA. It's missing a few things, though: the graphics are muddy, there is no online multiplayer, and the controls are rendered imprecise and infuriating due to the accelerometer. Also, it's $40 and marble blast is $10.

The Wii is a lowest common denominator system for families to play together. But that's not what i play games for. I'm filled with genuine sadness because I remember when Nintendo used to cater to those who prefer depth and challenge.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't see a need for PS3 or 360 really, I'm building a nice PC,

http://techreport.com/etc/2007q3/system-gu...07/index.x?pg=2

and will be able to play DiRT, Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, Viva Pinata, Bioshock, Haze, Mass Effect, etc. Pretty much all non-exclusive 360/PS3 titles are coming to PC.

Yeah, I'd kill for a nice PC! I'm jealous.

Only problem is I just don't have that kind of money at the moment, university can be quite expensive
frown.gif

I think I'll start saving and start to aim at getting one next Christmas.

WarmWoollySheep

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1) I know what you're talking about, especially in fighting games. Mortal Kombat is a good example, and there's no wonder why SSBB is allowing gamecube controllers.

However, I don't notice any IR lag in Wii Play's shooting gallery or Resident Evil 4. It seems to just be a few games that have laggy IR.

Also, some games are geniunely better with Wiimote. There's no way I could enjoy Godfather on a gamepad. Maybe that's why it's rated higher on Wii than ps360. Same goes for Harry Potter and Madden. Critics rated those higher due to Wiimote.

I am a bit worried about the lack of accuracy with gyrometers and accelerometers. I'm secretly hoping they are accurate, but no developers have unleashed their potential yet. Maybe this christmas.

2) I don't mind the lack of hi-res. 1080p is a gimmick for this gen, it would slow down most PS3/360 games which is why most don't include it. 720p is the standard, though Wii is still below.

I play a lot of high-res PC games on my brother's computer, and while I'm not impressed with any Wii graphics, I wouldn't say Wii is an eyesore. I don't have an HDTV to show off though, my opinion would probably be different if I did.

3) Wii ware channel has been announced, may launch this year. We'll need more than 512MB of space though.

QUOTE said:
Yeah, I'd kill for a nice PC! I'm jealous.

Only problem is I just don't have that kind of money at the moment, university can be quite expensive
frown.gif

I think I'll start saving and start to aim at getting one next Christmas.

The longer you wait, the cheaper and better they get
smile.gif

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
1) I know what you're talking about, especially in fighting games. Mortal Kombat is a good example, and there's no wonder why SSBB is allowing gamecube controllers.Â

However, I don't notice any IR lag in Wii Play's shooting gallery or Resident Evil 4. It seems to just be a few games that have laggy IR.Â

Also, some games are geniunely better with Wiimote. There's no way I could enjoy Godfather on a gamepad. Maybe that's why it's rated higher on Wii than ps360. Same goes for Harry Potter and Madden. Critics rated those higher due to Wiimote.Â

2) I don't mind the lack of hi-res. 1080p is a gimmick for this gen, it would slow down most PS3/360 games which is why most don't include it. 720p is the standard, though Wii is still below.

I play a lot of high-res PC games, and while I'm not impressed with any Wii graphics, I wouldn't say Wii is an eyesore.

Yeah that's true i guess Harry Potter, The Godfather and Madden are quite good with the Wiimote. Might have to try them out ar some point.

I agree 1080p is indeed a gimmick for me but i can understand why people with HDTV's would want it.

WarmWoollySheep

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is there a list of PS3 / 360 games that support 1080? I'd guess it's a pretty short list.

edit:

http://www.makeyougohmm.com/xbox360-1080p-games/
http://www.makeyougohmm.com/ps3-1080p-games/

Note that the best looking games for each system (Gears of War, Motorstorm) are not 1080p. They'd have to sacrifice too much graphically to get that resolution. Also interesting to note that the 360 has more 1080 games than PS3.

Games can be developed to look better and run smoother at 720p than 1080p. That will probably stay true until the next gen.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I own all 3 consoles, and love my DS and PSP. So far, the wii has proven to be the worst purchase.

3. The online services and downloadable title available on the other systems destroy the Wii's, it's almost incomprehensible. How about some original WiiWare, Nintendo? or at least a new coat of paint for the same game's you've been peddling for 20 years. Look at Prince of Persia on XBLA; an update to a classic game with improved controls and added content. If you did this with Mario 64, I wouldn't have had $40 worth of unused Wii money sitting, waiting for use.

Thats another bad thing about the wii, the virtual console. Its a great idea and would work if Nintendo didn't charge so much for the damn games. Using a point system to buy games some people don't realise how much money their spending. Online at least would be nice. Also on the 360 you can download the demos of games (No point on the wii as you've probably played them anyway). XBLA games are updated classic games, with high score tables, HD graphics and some of the game are online. You can even play the classic version of the game. I've played the demo of Prince of Persia and it looks brilliant. Now all I need is points to buy it.

bluebright

Trophies
Website
www.portablespacemuseum.com
XP
Country
I don't see a need for PS3 or 360 really, I'm building a nice PC,

http://techreport.com/etc/2007q3/system-gu...07/index.x?pg=2

and will be able to play DiRT, Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, Viva Pinata, Bioshock, Haze, Mass Effect, etc. Pretty much all non-exclusive 360/PS3 titles are coming to PC.

A little off topic...I don't know about anyone else, but I'm still a PC gamer. It was the DS that enticed me to consoles, and eventually to here.

Anyway, yeah, I'm glad I'm glad my holidays are in september...MP3...except half life 2 is better...

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
360 does basically own Nintendo with the downloads. Though to a newbie the VC is brilliant, but to use who have already played these games many before its not that great. All the games I get are either PC Engine ones or those that I can't really buy cheaper. If they were asking for half the points it would be great, its not as if Nintendo bother doing much to the games, not even making the PAL games run as well as NTSC.

Nintendo said that some games would be enhanced or will use the wiimote as well as stay in the original state, I guess they couldn't be bothered or keep them for WiiWare. Whats the bet that most of their WiiWare titles are games already on the VC?

Pac-man and Prince of Persia 360 are excellent examples of how to enhance titles.

Gamesphere

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What you think is a lack of games is really just a small drought. This drought, though, is just a slight one compared the PS3 as Wii owners do have stuff to tie them over until the fall.

This is a list of all confirmed Wifi Actual Gameplay List.

Un-released but Confirmed
Madden 08
Fifa 08
NBA Live 08
Battalion Wars 2
Medal of Honor: Heroes 2
Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkachi 3
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
MySims
NitroBike
Ghost Squad
Hooked! Real Motion Fishing
Mario & Sonic @ the Olympic Games
Mario Kart Wii(Working Title, Next Year)
Animal Crossing (N/A)
Endless Ocean
Dave Mirra BMX Challenge

Most of these games are Grade AAA titles and the rest are shaping to be Grade AA titles. This is proof that the Wii is not only getting Online support BUT THIRD PARTY SUPPORT. The same thing that the GC didn't have.

Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 is confirmed to have 32 mulitplayer online games. This is also proof that Third party isnt taking Wii online as a joke.

Now this is a list of games in which most are releasing this fall but will not have online.

Non-Online List
Namco Museum Remix
Looney Toons: Acme Arsenal
Zack & Wiki
Dewy's Adventure
Trauma Center: New Blood
Need For Speed: Prostreet
De Blob
Boogie
Crash of the Titans
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
Godzilla Unleased
Soul Calibur Legend
No More Heroes
Lego Star Wars Collection
Opoona
Escape from Bug Island
Brothers in Arms: Double Time
Tiger Woods PGA 08
Mario Galaxy
Nights: Journey into Dreams
WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2008
Naruto: Clash of the Revolution
Dragon Quest: Swords
Dance Dance Revolution: Hottest Party
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
Geometry Wars: Galaxies
Mushroom Men

Now tell me? Do you think the Wii is lacking games now?

RyuKakashi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Now tell me? Do you think the Wii is lacking games now?

Of all the games you mentioned for online, i'd probably only play mario kart, until someone snakes everything.
Oh, and maybe, maybe, mario & sonic.
I can't see animal crossing having any real online capabilities other than entering other people's town's who are on wiiconnect24.

Most of the non-online list is on other consoles, and naturally with HD capabilities, so more people would rather have it on 360/ps3.
And being multiplatform, the wii controls would probably be underdeveloped.
Trauma Center New Blood is the one i'm waiting for, I absolutely cannot wait for that.
Umbrella chronical's coop ought to be fun.
Hooray for no more heroes and galaxy.

Gamesphere

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Basiclly, the point I was trying to make was that the Wii is totally different from the GC and in some sense fixes the Gc's failures. There is a game for everyone with different tastes.

Basiclly, The games are coming you have to wait. I'd hate too have good games constantly come out every 2 weeks cause it would leave me broke....Have patience

Unless you Pirate.... :-) LOL

rice151

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I dont think you mentioned Smash Brothers Brawl.
Game of the Century and soon to be te #1 rated MLG Game Played!

Ok, maybe not #1 MLG game, but still, it will be fiercely competitive as Halo3 assuming they don't "fix" what was originally broken
biggrin.gif

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
@cubin' : My previous post wasn't directed at anybody specific, I've read your previous post after I've written mine. No need to freak out.

DS gets freaking crap games, you know why?
God of War 2 dev team consisted of 70 people, DS dev team normally get like 5. (Even the good ones) some over the top ego guy may decide to produce a game by himself and boom there goes a crap title for DS). Small dev team means non-unique sound tracks ("borrowed" from other Nintendo consoles) or horrible level design, or some less than GBA kind of graphics, you name it. Good games aren't made by granted, small team worked their ass off to make the best of what they got.

I own a gaming PC, and that makes 360 less desirable because Microsoft Games surely have PC port a lot. More than half of the games Warm Woolly Sheep mentioned don't even appear on PS3, so that's M$'s "fault" you may call it.

Of course 360 has more 1080p titles or any titles than PS3 because it's been around for more than twice longer. Take a poll on 20 year olds and 10 year olds to see which group has had more number of successive dates in their life.

As many devs are trying to get 1080p running smooth, it's pretty much guaranteed you'll see a breakthrough 1080p graphics that run smooth. I can't blame people for trying but failing, because there are people who aren't even trying.

My point in my previous post was "Wii doesn't lack games" and I backed that up with "even PS3 doesn't lack games". I think buying 2 games a month is pretty big deal, I even bought GoW "used" just to save four bucks. If you have some room to buy more than 2 games a month, lucky you I'm jealous, if you judge a game "suck" after playing only 3 hours of it then I'm not gonna listen to you, you might as well just delete the ISO and sell the back up media to your friend.

edit: I'm not saying pirates don't have freedom of speech, it happens and I'm part of it too (anybody who never received even an mp3 from a friend?) But I'm strongly against judging games by playing pirated versions. Go read magazine reviews to find out critics score seems to be almost always lower than user scores, reviewers get a free review copy of the game, they have nothing to lose by marking a game "poor", and not buy it when they go home. But on a players side who bought the game, doesn't want the game to suck.

If you bought a game,
beat the game,
still think the game sucked entire gameplay,
or after spending 2 hours with it you think you don't want to deal with it anymore,
THEN the game sucks.

I marked so many PSP and DS games poor, not because I'm a high quality visual whore, but I rarely finish a game that I didn't buy. I bought Children of Mana along with my DS, I beat it, even finished hidden dungeon that's only accessible after you beat the game, and thought the game sucked. Would I have finished it if I didn't buy it? No way. I'll be "OMG THIS GAME SUX DEATH OF NDSL IS IMMINENT"
I've beaten 8 games on DS so far, and I've bought just as many. Zelda, Animal Crossing, FF3, Castlevania all sitting in my external HDD collecting dust (well not really)

RyuKakashi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Basiclly, the point I was trying to make was that the Wii is totally different from the GC and in some sense fixes the Gc's failures.

Tell me this again after super smash and metroid is a few months old.
Gamecube died after smash and metroid. Wii just might. Project H.A.M.M.E.R. got Starcraft Ghosted.
Well you never know if they plan to release another Zelda or something. Trauma Center and more but I still don't see much life in Wii.

Until the day they master 1:1 swordfighting....we might as well wait for Duke Nukem Forever.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*