Is the R4 nearing its end?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Raqib12, Jan 2, 2009.

Jan 2, 2009

Is the R4 nearing its end? by Raqib12 at 5:36 PM (2,569 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. Raqib12
    OP

Member Raqib12 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    With the death of the official firmware updates, and what seems to be the death of YSMenu, there doesn't seem to be much left for it... Unless of course, the community pulls something else off.

How will you react? Do you have a different cart to work with? Will you buy another one, if you don't have another one?

As for myself, I have a SuperCard SD and an AKRPG, but I prefer the R4, simply because of how simple it is.

Edit: Nevermind... There was a YSMenu update yesterday. Sorry. [​IMG]

2. Cyburn2008

Newcomer Cyburn2008 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Im still using my R4 with YSMenu.

Maybe when my R4 brakes, then Ill get a new Flashcart with is SDHC compatible.

3. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom

What do you mean, "death of the official firmware updates" [​IMG] I thought R4 was still planning to go to 1.20 so far? ( The update to brick fake R4 cards ) And My card hasn't failed to play a game yet so we don't need an update just yet, right? [​IMG] Anyway as soon as I do run into a game that wont play I'll grab YSMenu but I haven't needed it so far...

4. TodayiSawMyHeroF

Member TodayiSawMyHeroF GBAtemp Regular

United States
    R4 is still the dominating cart? Im pretty sure most people still have an R4. (i think) xP

5. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    R4 been at it's end for awhile now your just way behind the times,where you get the death of YSMenu is beyond me.......

6. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Nope. The R4 Team is dead. Every single update after 1.18 is undeniably FAKE made by the guys behind all the R4 clones.

What to do with your R4 now?
    Simple, continue to use your R4 until nothing starts anymore on it (which is probably gonna happen relatively soon, seeing the increasing number of games not wanting to start on it) [​IMG]

After that just throw it away and buy a well-supported flashcard.

7. ball2012003

ball2012003 Newbie

the r4 has been dead for a long time dont know why people still buy them, just a waste of their money sort of

8. aznanimefreak1

Member aznanimefreak1 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't think it's at their end because theres been a release on a R4i flash cart. thats compatable on both DS and DSi. Don't quote me on this but I think it might be R4team.

9. Reaper

Member Reaper Tͩ͒ͥ̈́ͧ̓͑̆̂

United States
    Lol [​IMG]
    Why would they make R4i and ditch the old R4? Besides, it's not the real R4, it's a renamed AceKard clone

10. skyman747

Member skyman747 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I am running off YSMenu. When I can't play the games I want, I will upgrade, and really as long as DSTT is updating, YSMenu will remain functional.

11. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    this death you speak of happened back in july, and was plastered all over the place espcially in this R4 section
    don't know why people are just finding out about this now

12. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    The R4i is a poorly made AceKard 2i clone running hex edited R4 firmware. Its not made by the real R4 team, its simply another clone that used the Acekard 2i boot loade to work on the DSi.

The R4 is dead! Its a waste of money to buy one now as there are way better flashcarts on the market which have better game compatibility, more features and cheaper than the R4.

13. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    R4 is already dead. However, as long as people want to buy, why not sell?

R4 is not nearing its end, it IS in its end

14. denpanosekai

Newcomer denpanosekai Advanced Member

Canada

Can you name some? I've never had a single ROM not load, and I always try the most recent ones.

15. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    my r4 is still alive and kickin ^^ [​IMG]

16. TraumaHoundNDS

Member TraumaHoundNDS GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Based on the seemingly endless supply of not-so-cleverly-renamed clones I'd say the R4DS as we know it isn't so much dead as it is undead.

17. Joey R.

Banned Joey R. Banned

Spain
    The R4 reminds me soooo much of an old Neo Geo emulator, Neo-RageX. You see, the "official" support for that emulator ceased, yet many users kept "updating" it through hacks. In the end, there were several "monster-of-Frankensteinish" versions, with hacks and modifications needed to play most of the romsets other emulators could play natively.

The same is happening with the R4. Between the clones and the users that keep buying it, it doesn't die. How remembers the old M3 Perfect? It was a great flashcart, but better flashcarts took its place (although, of course, we're talking about slot-1 flashcarts). The day people stop buying this flashcart, it will fade to oblivion.

PS: I have an R4 and it's a good card still... but, come on, it's totally outdated, both in terms of functions and official support.

18. TraumaHoundNDS

Member TraumaHoundNDS GBAtemp Fan

United States
    A little something I whipped up to illustrate my point:

[​IMG]

...heh heh heh.