Hacking Is the R4 nearing its end?

Raqib12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the death of the official firmware updates, and what seems to be the death of YSMenu, there doesn't seem to be much left for it... Unless of course, the community pulls something else off.

How will you react? Do you have a different cart to work with? Will you buy another one, if you don't have another one?

As for myself, I have a SuperCard SD and an AKRPG, but I prefer the R4, simply because of how simple it is.

Edit: Nevermind... There was a YSMenu update yesterday. Sorry.
tongue.gif

Cyburn2008

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Im still using my R4 with YSMenu.

Maybe when my R4 brakes, then Ill get a new Flashcart with is SDHC compatible.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Raqib12 said:
With the death of the official firmware updates, and what seems to be the death of YSMenu, there doesn't seem to be much left for it... Unless of course, the community pulls something else off.

How will you react? Do you have a different cart to work with? Will you buy another one, if you don't have another one?

As for myself, I have a SuperCard SD and an AKRPG, but I prefer the R4, simply because of how simple it is.

tongue.gif

What do you mean, "death of the official firmware updates"
ohmy.gif
I thought R4 was still planning to go to 1.20 so far? ( The update to brick fake R4 cards ) And My card hasn't failed to play a game yet so we don't need an update just yet, right?
blink.gif
Anyway as soon as I do run into a game that wont play I'll grab YSMenu but I haven't needed it so far...

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
DeadLocked said:
Raqib12 said:

tongue.gif

What do you mean, "death of the official firmware updates"
ohmy.gif
I thought R4 was still planning to go to 1.20 so far? ( The update to brick fake R4 cards ) And My card hasn't failed to play a game yet so we don't need an update just yet, right?
blink.gif
Anyway as soon as I do run into a game that wont play I'll grab YSMenu but I haven't needed it so far...
Nope. The R4 Team is dead. Every single update after 1.18 is undeniably FAKE made by the guys behind all the R4 clones.

What to do with your R4 now?
Simple, continue to use your R4 until nothing starts anymore on it (which is probably gonna happen relatively soon, seeing the increasing number of games not wanting to start on it)
tongue.gif

After that just throw it away and buy a well-supported flashcard.

B

ball2012003

the r4 has been dead for a long time dont know why people still buy them, just a waste of their money sort of

Reaper

Tͩ͒ͥ̈́ͧ̓͑̆̂
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
aznanimefreak1 said:
I don't think it's at their end because theres been a release on a R4i flash cart. thats compatable on both DS and DSi. Don't quote me on this but I think it might be R4team.
Lol
rofl2.gif

Why would they make R4i and ditch the old R4? Besides, it's not the real R4, it's a renamed AceKard clone

skyman113

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am running off YSMenu. When I can't play the games I want, I will upgrade, and really as long as DSTT is updating, YSMenu will remain functional.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this death you speak of happened back in july, and was plastered all over the place espcially in this R4 section
don't know why people are just finding out about this now

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The R4i is a poorly made AceKard 2i clone running hex edited R4 firmware. Its not made by the real R4 team, its simply another clone that used the Acekard 2i boot loade to work on the DSi.

The R4 is dead! Its a waste of money to buy one now as there are way better flashcarts on the market which have better game compatibility, more features and cheaper than the R4.

denpanosekai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
raulpica said:
What to do with your R4 now?
Simple, continue to use your R4 until nothing starts anymore on it (which is probably gonna happen relatively soon, seeing the increasing number of games not wanting to start on it)

Can you name some? I've never had a single ROM not load, and I always try the most recent ones.

Joey R.

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The R4 reminds me soooo much of an old Neo Geo emulator, Neo-RageX. You see, the "official" support for that emulator ceased, yet many users kept "updating" it through hacks. In the end, there were several "monster-of-Frankensteinish" versions, with hacks and modifications needed to play most of the romsets other emulators could play natively.

The same is happening with the R4. Between the clones and the users that keep buying it, it doesn't die. How remembers the old M3 Perfect? It was a great flashcart, but better flashcarts took its place (although, of course, we're talking about slot-1 flashcarts). The day people stop buying this flashcart, it will fade to oblivion.

PS: I have an R4 and it's a good card still... but, come on, it's totally outdated, both in terms of functions and official support.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/a93F-EEw6HM?si=tUXuLXhXiWUsmIIv