Hardware Is the 2ds future proof?

MrErdo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Only games I'm interested in is Pokémon. Would I be able to play the next release on my 2ds? If not I consider selling my 2ds without it devaluating that much and buy the new 3ds. By the way I don't care about 3d and I'm also not interested in other games. I'm kind of hesitating at the moment because upgrading is quite a purchase and if I can I rather stick with the 2ds.

rikumax25!

Keyblade Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
The only New 3DS exclusive game that has been anounced is Fire Emblem Warriors, only real info you'll get

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Only games I'm interested in is Pokémon. Would I be able to play the next release on my 2ds? If not I consider selling my 2ds without it devaluating that much and buy the new 3ds. By the way I don't care about 3d and I'm also not interested in other games. I'm kind of hesitating at the moment because upgrading is quite a purchase and if I can I rather stick with the 2ds.
Sun and Moon framerates were a little on the lower side on some scenes on the 2DS. I dunno if they fixed that.
If Nintendo keeps the current trend, maybe future Pokemon games will run better on the New3ds. If you can live with that, keep the 2DS. I have one too and I don't really care.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There is only one New 3DS exclusive game. If MH, Hyrule Warriors, and Pokémon Sum/Moon weren't exclusive to the New 3DS, then it's safe to future games won't be either. Although those should have been New 3DS exclusives because they run like shit on the old 3DS.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sun and Moon framerates were a little on the lower side on some scenes on the 2DS. I dunno if they fixed that.
If Nintendo keeps the current trend, maybe future Pokemon games will run better on the New3ds. If you can live with that, keep the 2DS. I have one too and I don't really care.
They haven't fixed the framerate issue.

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While the 2DS is still supported, if you intend to play games in the future without issue - I'd highly recommend getting a New 3DS of some description (that also goes for old 3DS users).

The current trend of Nintendo games seems to favour the N3DS over the older models.

For example Hyrule Warriors lagged to hell and back, and Sun/Moon also lagged in certain situations but it wasn't as bad as Hyrule Warriors on the O3DS and 2DS. Both were perfectly fine on the N3DS (due to the added performance).

While some games will be fine on the O3DS, it's very hard to tell the performance until it's released, so if you want something future proofed - a N3DS is the only way to go as you can guarantee any 3DS games will run on it, unlike the 2DS/O3DS where it's a guess at best (or crap performance at worst).

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
"On the lower side," double battles are almost unplayable because of the frame rate drop and the rest of the us noticeably sluggish compared to the New 3DS. I honestly would recommend people not play S/M on the old 3DS
Also still no update from the Big N to fix this, unless you count buying a new system as an update

Last edited by The Catboy,

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
This is kinda off topic, but I think Nintendo should make the Switch their main handheld too for all intents and purposes- it hasn't been hacked and it would also boost the sales of the Switch. A win-win for them. If they release it on the 3ds platfrom, it would just get pirated won't it? Hence switching to the Switch will help generate more profit per game release than from the 3ds titles. But making a new handheld with exclusive Pokemon rpg IP and other famous IP would help sell that new handheld anyway :evil:
Which also begs the question, how powerful will the newer handheld be? More than the Switch? That would be funny. Between the 3ds and the Switch?(That would be so anti-consumer of Nintendo).
"On the lower side," double battles are almost unplayable because of the frame rate drop and the rest of the us noticeably sluggish compared to the New 3DS. I honestly would recommend people not play S/M on the old 3DS
Also still no update from the Big N to fix this, unless you count buying a new system as an update
I'll be honest, I haven't played the game since my brother took it to another continent last December ;-;
The framerates were pretty horrible in the scenes which were supposed to show a cinematic view- I flew through the game in one night so I don't really remember what else sucked on the 2ds

Last edited by raystriker,

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
There is only one New 3DS exclusive game. If MH, Hyrule Warriors, and Pokémon Sum/Moon weren't exclusive to the New 3DS, then it's safe to future games won't be either. Although those should have been New 3DS exclusives because they run like shit on the old 3DS.

I assume MH stands for Monster Hunter?
How does it run like shit for you(?)
What versions? 4U/G?
I only have o3ds's and while there are times were the framerate drops a little it's nowhere near the disaster HyruleWarriorLegends was, or even comparable to the triple battles of S&M.

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is kinda off topic, but I think Nintendo should make the Switch their main handheld too for all intents and purposes- it hasn't been hacked and it would also boost the sales of the Switch. A win-win for them. If they release it on the 3ds platfrom, it would just get pirated won't it? Hence switching to the Switch will help generate more profit per game release than from the 3ds titles. But making a new handheld with exclusive Pokemon rpg IP and other famous IP would help sell that new handheld anyway :evil:
Which also begs the question, how powerful will the newer handheld be? More than the Switch? That would be funny. Between the 3ds and the Switch?(That would be so anti-consumer of Nintendo).

I'll be honest, I haven't played the game since my brother took it to another continent last December ;-;
The framerates were pretty horrible in the scenes which were supposed to show a cinematic view- I flew through the game in one night so I don't really remember what else sucked on the 2ds

Nintendo should make the Switch their main handheld too for all intents and purposes- it hasn't been hacked

A bad comparison to make. The system's been out for 6 days. Of course it hasn't been hacked (yet).

It's also supposedly running a version of a custom Android which may make hacking it even easier as that's an already well documented OS.

It could also make hacking it harder since Google has pumped a LOT of security patches into it, and it'll be more secure than Nintendo's previous offerings if it's true.

raystriker said:
A win-win for them. If they release it on the 3ds platfrom, it would just get pirated won't it?

Piracy on the 3DS must make up ~5-10%. In comparison to sales, that's a tiny, TINY figure. It's really not worth saying the Switch is a better option because of that. The figure you're wanting to use to show that the 3DS is dying/dead is just too small and insignificant a value.

The Switch hasn't been hacked yet either, so piracy isn't a concern at this moment in time (but the moment it is - then the floodgates will open).

raystriker said:
Hence switching to the Switch will help generate more profit per game release than from the 3ds titles.

There's a LOT more 3DS units out there than the Switch, and some people (myself included) are waiting it out before getting a Switch due to the lacking launch titles (I can't justify getting it for 1 game (BoTW)) and hardware issues to be fixed (joy con sync issue is hardware based, as someone soldered a wire to act like an antennae and got better signal reception than the stock right joy-con) and other misc issues (like how if you put the wrong shoulder attachment onto the wrong joy-con, it cements itself into place and can't be taken off without a screwdriver and excess force).

You'd actually end up LOSING sales because of this.

raystriker said:
But making a new handheld with exclusive Pokemon rpg IP
There's rumour about a new Pokemon game (well, kind of) on the Switch called Pokemon Stars ala Emerald or Platinum. An upscaled, combination of Sun/Moon with a different story (I'm not complaining. I really enjoyed Emerald back in the day).

raystriker said:

Impossible with current mobile hardware. The Switch is about near enough the best performing mobile hardware you can get currently (An nVidia Pascal based APU would have been better, but we've got Maxwell which is still really good).

They'd shoot themselves in the foot if they downgraded the hardware to 3DS levels again. If the Switch was ONLY home console (no mobile ability), then they'd probably get away with it but going forward - I think it's Switch or bust (so expect sequels to the Switch, just with better hardware).

Last edited by Flying Scotsman,

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
It's also supposedly running a version of a custom Android which may make hacking it even easier as that's an already well documented OS. It could also make hacking it harder since Google has pumped a LOT of security patches into it, and it'll be more secure than Nintendo's previous offerings if it's true.
3ds hacking legends yellows8 and pluuto confirm that the Switch's OS is similar to the 3DS'es and might contain stuff from FreeBSD.
Impossible with current mobile hardware. The Switch is about near enough the best performing mobile hardware you can get currently (An nVidia Pascal based APU would have been better, but we've got Maxwell which is still really good).
I'm pretty sure the SD820 and above or Exynos 8 etc are more powerful than the TegraX1 based Switch SoC.
They'd shoot themselves in the foot if they downgraded the hardware to 3DS levels again. If the Switch was ONLY home console (no mobile ability), then they'd probably get away with it but going forward - I think it's Switch or bust (so expect sequels to the Switch, just with better hardware).
Hmm I wish the Nintendo had better, more open roadmaps. It becomes more difficult to plan for which devices to buy.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I assume MH stands for Monster Hunter?
How does it run like shit for you(?)
What versions? 4U/G?
I only have o3ds's and while there are times were the framerate drops a little it's nowhere near the disaster HyruleWarriorLegends was, or even comparable to the triple battles of S&M.
Both versions actually. And it's not the worst, but they seem to make up for that by having painfully long loading screens. And the frame rate drops rather rather hard with some of the minsters. It's not as bad as others, but still not pretty painful compared to playing it on a New 3DS

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Both versions actually. And it's not the worst, but they seem to make up for that by having painfully long loading screens. And the frame rate drops rather rather hard with some of the minsters. It's not as bad as others, but still not pretty painful compared to playing it on a New 3DS

Oh. I just assumed that was MH-esque loading screens since i believe they also took a long time to load on the psp. Didn't know they were almost instant if played on a n3ds.

It's rather playable anyway, hyrule warrior legends on the other hand... That's a disaster that should've never happened on o3ds.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Oh. I just assumed that was MH-esque loading screens since i believe they also took a long time to load on the psp. Didn't know they were almost instant if played on a n3ds.

It's rather playable anyway, hyrule warrior legends on the other hand... That's a disaster that should've never happened on o3ds.
Don't me started on that one!
Just go to this post.
And they load a hell of a lot faster on the new3DS. Since owning a new3DS, I actually had to do some test on my old3DS (testing reboot patches for ReiNAND) and it was painful. Like there is a noticeable difference between the two.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
3DS, 2DS and N3DS eventually get replaced by a new handheld from Nintendo.
No, they aren't future proof.

As for the games, like Crystal said, there's only 1 N3DS exclusive, so any 3DS game works on the 2DS.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
3DS, 2DS and N3DS eventually get replaced by a new handheld from Nintendo.
No, they aren't future proof.

As for the games, like Crystal said, there's only 1 N3DS exclusive, so any 3DS game works on the 2DS.
I just remembered Fire Emblem Warriors will be New3DS exclusive. So there will be two.
And this game rightfully belongs New3DS exclusive. I am still made about Hyrule Warriors :glare:

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm pretty sure the SD820 and above or Exynos 8 etc are more powerful than the TegraX1 based Switch SoC.

Hmm I wish the Nintendo had better, more open roadmaps. It becomes more difficult to plan for which devices to buy.
CPU-wise the Snapdragon is better, but Tegra SoCs have been far superior GPU-wise for a long time, which matters more for gaming.

A bad comparison to make. The system's been out for 6 days. Of course it hasn't been hacked (yet).

It's also supposedly running a version of a custom Android which may make hacking it even easier as that's an already well documented OS.

It could also make hacking it harder since Google has pumped a LOT of security patches into it, and it'll be more secure than Nintendo's previous offerings if it's true.

Piracy on the 3DS must make up ~5-10%. In comparison to sales, that's a tiny, TINY figure. It's really not worth saying the Switch is a better option because of that. The figure you're wanting to use to show that the 3DS is dying/dead is just too small and insignificant a value.

The Switch hasn't been hacked yet either, so piracy isn't a concern at this moment in time (but the moment it is - then the floodgates will open).

There's a LOT more 3DS units out there than the Switch, and some people (myself included) are waiting it out before getting a Switch due to the lacking launch titles (I can't justify getting it for 1 game (BoTW)) and hardware issues to be fixed (joy con sync issue is hardware based, as someone soldered a wire to act like an antennae and got better signal reception than the stock right joy-con) and other misc issues (like how if you put the wrong shoulder attachment onto the wrong joy-con, it cements itself into place and can't be taken off without a screwdriver and excess force).

You'd actually end up LOSING sales because of this.

There's rumour about a new Pokemon game (well, kind of) on the Switch called Pokemon Stars ala Emerald or Platinum. An upscaled, combination of Sun/Moon with a different story (I'm not complaining. I really enjoyed Emerald back in the day).

It's definitely not Android-based, that rumor is old and never made sense in the first place.
As for the Joy-Con strap issue, it's a valid issue especially due to the amount of kids that will be using a Switch. Though from what I heard, using a small screwdriver to detach the two plastic tabs will make it easy to remove even if attached improperly. That doesn't make the issue any less valid, of course, but at least there's a solution. There seem to be a lot of issues with the day 1 switch and it makes me glad I decided to wait a few months, hopefully they'll fix most of them, but luckily it works fine for most people.
The next Pokemon game will most likely be released on Switch, so i don't see the need to worry about the 2DS/3DS at this point. In all likelyhood the 2DS/3DS family will only get a few more game releases as developers switch over to the new system. Even if they say it's not going to replace the 3DS, that's really up to the developers to decide, and if they all switch over (like they probably will considering how successful the Switch was at launch) then there will be very few notable games released for the 3DS until it dies a slow death.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

MrErdo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just tested out omega ruby and moon on the 2ds. They absolutely work fine. No need for me to upgrade to 3ds since I will only be playing these two games and Mario kart. Those other games don't interest me at all.

I'm surprised how cheap I got into the 3ds hacking scene. I bought a 2ds for 50 euro. 32 gb card for 17 euro. And I'm all set and done. No need to buy a flash card or anything.

Anyway I don't think there won't be any Pokémon release for the next 2 years. If they release it on the new Nintendo game held Switch I don't think it won't interest me at all. Pokemon moon already doesn't feel like a real pokemon game. They kind of watered it down and made it childish. I think I'm ok with my 2ds. Thanks guys.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: As long as you're not going hungry, it's nice to share things with your friends +1