rikuumi

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Yesterday I was using my external WD HDD with Backup Manager to transfer my legally backed up games into my HDD and no problems. Today when I plugged it into my PC it won't show on "My computer" screen. My PC still recognizes it because I uninstalled the driver and plugged my device back and it recognized it and downloaded drivers. I can also see it in "Device Manager"

Solutions? I can't format it because format tools can't find the HDD..

It's this one if anyone cares
link

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Does it appear in Disk Management? Right-click My Computer, click Manage, then Disk Management.

You should also try it on a different computer.

Also listen to the drive itself when it's on. If you hear any strange sounds (e.g. clicking) then it's a bad sign.

The parts that can go wrong that I can think of: drivers, USB controllers (on either side), USB ports/cable, SATA controller/cable, the HDD itself, or the file table of the HDD. The symptoms usually help you figure out which part is giving you problems.

rikuumi

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
Does it appear in Disk Management? Right-click My Computer, click Manage, then Disk Management.

You should also try it on a different computer.

Also listen to the drive itself when it's on. If you hear any strange sounds (e.g. clicking) then it's a bad sign.

The parts that can go wrong that I can think of: drivers, USB controllers (on either side), USB ports/cable, SATA controller/cable, the HDD itself, or the file table of the HDD. The symptoms usually help you figure out which part is giving you problems.

Cant see it in Disk management. (When I click "Refresh" from "More actions" HDD's light blinks few times)

Not working with my other PC.

No strange sounds.

EDIT: I _CAN_ see it in the Disk management now! But still doesn't work

rikuumi

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
devicec.png

It's the Disk 2.
Unallocated?

I "new volumed" it now windows thinks it's part of the main HDD or something

Anyways! Now got it working but I lost all of my data ;/ but gladly the HDD still works! Thanks for participation.

Relf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Try a different, more powerful, disk management software. There's a number of free ones floating about such as SwissKnife [though I'm not sure it updated past XP] which might be a little bit more willing to tackle your partition problem. In the future, may I suggest you FTP your files
tongue.gif

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
There are tools to repair corrupted partitioning/file tables, aswell as files lost through overwriting them (as you did) although that's not my area of expertise. Something like UnDelete, although if I recall, the more fragmented a drive is, the harder it is to recover data.

Someone else can probably give suggestions in that department.

EDIT: I just remembered, you can also try enabling it to be shared over a network. Sometimes other computers can uncover "ghost/phantom" partitions, even long after they've been deleted/overwritten. I had a lot of fun with my PentiumII computer, since each method of accessing the drives I used showed me a different set of files/partitions, and somehow they all remained intact.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you happen to use Linux (Ubuntu, Fedora, whatever), you can try using TestDisk. It should be able to retrieve deleted or lost partitions (Although only to an extent). I cant grantee it will work, but it's worth a try

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Sigh