Is she permanently broken?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by rikuumi, Jan 11, 2011.

Jan 11, 2011

Is she permanently broken? by rikuumi at 2:09 PM (745 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. rikuumi
    OP

Member rikuumi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yesterday I was using my external WD HDD with Backup Manager to transfer my legally backed up games into my HDD and no problems. Today when I plugged it into my PC it won't show on "My computer" screen. My PC still recognizes it because I uninstalled the driver and plugged my device back and it recognized it and downloaded drivers. I can also see it in "Device Manager"

Solutions? I can't format it because format tools can't find the HDD..

It's this one if anyone cares
    link

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Does it appear in Disk Management? Right-click My Computer, click Manage, then Disk Management.

You should also try it on a different computer.

Also listen to the drive itself when it's on. If you hear any strange sounds (e.g. clicking) then it's a bad sign.

The parts that can go wrong that I can think of: drivers, USB controllers (on either side), USB ports/cable, SATA controller/cable, the HDD itself, or the file table of the HDD. The symptoms usually help you figure out which part is giving you problems.

3. rikuumi
    OP

United States
    Cant see it in Disk management. (When I click "Refresh" from "More actions" HDD's light blinks few times)

Not working with my other PC.

No strange sounds.

EDIT: I _CAN_ see it in the Disk management now! But still doesn't work

4. rikuumi
    OP

United States
    [​IMG]

It's the Disk 2.
    Unallocated?

I "new volumed" it now windows thinks it's part of the main HDD or something

Anyways! Now got it working but I lost all of my data ;/ but gladly the HDD still works! Thanks for participation.

5. Relf

Newcomer Relf Advanced Member

Canada
    Try a different, more powerful, disk management software. There's a number of free ones floating about such as SwissKnife [though I'm not sure it updated past XP] which might be a little bit more willing to tackle your partition problem. In the future, may I suggest you FTP your files [​IMG]

6. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    There are tools to repair corrupted partitioning/file tables, aswell as files lost through overwriting them (as you did) although that's not my area of expertise. Something like UnDelete, although if I recall, the more fragmented a drive is, the harder it is to recover data.

Someone else can probably give suggestions in that department.

EDIT: I just remembered, you can also try enabling it to be shared over a network. Sometimes other computers can uncover "ghost/phantom" partitions, even long after they've been deleted/overwritten. I had a lot of fun with my PentiumII computer, since each method of accessing the drives I used showed me a different set of files/partitions, and somehow they all remained intact.

7. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

try acronis if he see hdd you have a good chance

8. Nimbus

Member Nimbus sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1

United Kingdom
    If you happen to use Linux (Ubuntu, Fedora, whatever), you can try using TestDisk. It should be able to retrieve deleted or lost partitions (Although only to an extent). I cant grantee it will work, but it's worth a try