Is Neo Geo X worth buying for £140?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by WiiCube_2013, Sep 28, 2014.

1. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    It comes with the big ass controller, console and the handheld all for £140 and as for the games I could either play them via an SD Card or the original big cartridges.

[​IMG]

But here's the thing, while I want to own one for the purpose of collecting I never knew about it in the 90's as it was mostly about Nintendo, Sega and pirated cart consoles so I'm undecided whether I should. As a gamer I never got to try it out although I want to.

I saw a used one on CeX for £145 and that's just absurd considering a brand new one costs less than that on eBay and with free shipping.

2. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    No, it's an actual piece of shit. It uses an emulator to run the fucking games (FBA IIRC). If you want to play Neo Geo on your telly, use a computer hooked up to your tv. If you want Neo Geo on the go, use a PSP or something.

The Neo Geo X is an overpriced piece of shit and colossal waste of money.

raulpica likes this.
  3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Not for that price, no. If you found one in a bargain bin then sure, but I wouln't pay anything over 50 quid for it.

4. Bonny

Bonny GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 8, 2008
    Germany
    Bavaria
    No. The handheld is the console. He must be placed inside the console if you want to play on a TV. AND no... you can't run the original big cartridges, there is simply no slot for it.

Nonsense.

Why are the games "fucking"?

No. Not at all. For the handheld, the Arcade Stick (who can also be used on a PC), the games an the console cabinet, the price is OK.

5. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Wait, it doesn't play the big cartridges? I had thought so because of that big slot but since it doesn't, that just dropped my interest if I ever came across them.

6. Bonny

Bonny GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 8, 2008
    Germany
    Bavaria
    Well... if playing the real carts is important for you, only a original NeoGeo will do.

7. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    I recently modded a NeoGeo MVS for a friend. Total expense $50. He can now do the same thing a Neo Geo AES does for a tenth of the price.

F**k the profiteers ruining the retro hobby for everyone! :angry:

8. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole

TL; DW
    - Handheld has a 16:9 screen for a 4:3 system. You can change the ratio, but black bands.
    - Audio is slightly off
    - Choice of preinstalled games could've been better
    - Fingerprints

I too think a PC is a far better alternative.