1. freshgoatmilk

OP freshgoatmilk Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I think I have royally *ucked up my Wii U tonight. It was working fine, I had CHBC running with Homebrew Channel and everything. I got my hands on a 2nd Wii U and thought I would mod it too. So I went ahead and did the system transfer from the modded Wii U to the Virgin Wii U thinking I had downloaded a moddable game previously (Brainage) and thought I could re-use the same Nintendo account on the virgin Wii U to repeat the hack. The system transfer went fine as the virgin Wii U now has the Nintendo account from the CFW Wii U, but the CFW Wii U is now stuck in a loop like this
    20200304_235955.jpg 20200305_000001.jpg 20200305_000006.jpg

I tried unplugging the power for a few minutes, took out the coin battery in hope that it would reset and boot back to the normal screen, but no luck. So now, whenever I turn it on, the CHBC loads and I tap the home button on the gamepad and it gives me these options
    20200304_235729.jpg

Is there anything I can do to save my Wii U? I think I have the NAND backup somewhere when I was modding it before.

2. wolf-snake

wolf-snake GBAtemp Maniac

Mexico
    -snip- should have uninstalled Coldboot Haxchi before doing this.

Last edited by Minox, Mar 7, 2020 - Reason: Be nice
  3. zeroultima6

zeroultima6 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    From the way i read, that Wii U is kinda dead dude (unless you have a nand backup, could be wrong)

4. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    freshgoatmilk and KleinesSinchen like this.
  5. Bladexdsl
    This message by Bladexdsl has been removed from public view by Minox, Mar 7, 2020, Reason: Shitpost.
    Mar 5, 2020 Show
  6. freshgoatmilk

OP freshgoatmilk Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Yep wasn't thinking too much.

Whoa definitely not for the faint of heart. I'm not the greatest soldering person around. And for the cost of the materials, I can probably get me a replacement unit instead.

LMAO hey I still get some entertainment out of it.

7. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The Backup Reminder

Germany
    It's softbricked. Can only get better. I would try saving it if I had a Wii U with messed up CBHC.

There are not that many Wii U consoles. Wasting one is not good.

Maybe you can sell it (with the backup) to somebody who is good at soldering.

8. freshgoatmilk

OP freshgoatmilk Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Do you know of anyone who can fix this for a fee? I can mail in the console then upload and send them the link to the NAND back up. I'd hate to waste it as you said, we have a limited amount of Wii Us.

9. Nomado

Nomado Member
    Newcomer

Madagascar
    Daymn. That's a shame. Hope you find solution and unbrick it. It is seriously the best Nintendo system besides 3DS for me. I am able to play all the previous generation Nintendo games I want on it and 3DS combined.
    No one plays Nintendo games in my country so WiiU is really rare thing here. To date I have only seen 3 WiiU in my country being on sale since last year. For this reason, I was wary of installing CBHC and still load up haxchi on everyboot.

10. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    Well, I'd try to fix it, as there's nothing to loose. The materials aren't that expensive for what you can recuperate.

11. dojafoja

dojafoja life elevated

I have a theory you could try but I could be WAY off, I'm not sure. After you performed the system transfer, the old CFW console is attempting to delete all user data. This would include the DS game that was used to install CBHC. At this point you are already booted into CFW and it is known that CBHC prevents itself from being deleted in data management while in CFW and is really only susceptible to a system format. There's a very small chance that the error is being thrown when the DS VC game is trying to be uninstalled because you're in CFW. This is what I think you should try before giving up all hope: When the system is booting, press the home button to bring up the CBHC menu and select to boot the Homebrew Launcher. Run the CBHC installer, only this time select to UNINSTALL CBHC. Once finished and complete, reboot and see if the same error is thrown with CBHC being removed.
    It's just an idea and probably won't work but I would at least give it a try. I understand that this leaves you with no access to the HBL if it doesn't work but it seems like your only other options are to chuck the console or perform the hardmod with a NAND backup anyway.

Last edited by dojafoja, Mar 5, 2020
  12. freshgoatmilk

OP freshgoatmilk Member
    Newcomer

United States
    That's a great idea, I'll give it a go when I get off work. I'll try anything at this point honestly, it's a paper weight in my head right now.

EDIT: Well gave it a shot but no luck. Booting HBC just gives me this "-5" error.

20200305_132355.jpg

I can boot into the vWii menu though that's not going to do me any good.
    20200305_133507.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by freshgoatmilk, Mar 5, 2020
  13. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

United States
    Just read all this... Sh*t seems Fukt the Nand... But still you might get some way back somehow... & I hope you do..

14. dojafoja

dojafoja life elevated

Error -5 just means that it couldn't find the HBL on your SD card. Make sure it's there in the proper path.

15. freshgoatmilk

OP freshgoatmilk Member
    Newcomer

United States
    HOOOOOOLY MONKEY IT WORKED!!!!
    You are legendary my friend :bow:

20200305_195613.jpg 20200305_200453.jpg

E1ite007, Hoppy, XaneTenshi and 8 others like this.
  16. dojafoja

dojafoja life elevated

Legendary is actually my middle name!
    Not really but I am glad it worked for you. The more and more I thought about it, the more confident I was that it would work.
    BTW... How did you know that my real name is Monkey?

17. freshgoatmilk

OP freshgoatmilk Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Haha man thanks again for saving my Wii U, I had lost all hope. And I'm not the type to think outside the box either. I was pretty sure I had a paper weight, so in my haste I went and bought a replacement unit for $40 :yayu: So I have 3 and now am a hoarder LOL. Oh well they'll become rare one day.

alexander1970 and KleinesSinchen like this.
  18. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The Backup Reminder

Germany
    Only $40? Sounds good.
    I'm glad this could be repaired with software methods. Good work @dojafoja !!

E1ite007, alexander1970 and Kopimist like this.
  19. HRudyPlayZ

HRudyPlayZ The panda god that does everything

France
    Glad this worked.
    One thing for anyone coming by:

The only times a soft brick really happens is when you install it on the wrong location (aka not following instructions) or you delete the "DO NOT TOUCH!" game, in which case it should be blocked by the CFW, like this case. So, if you can see "Autobooting" or can access the menu of CBHC, it isn't a brick and is always recoverable with homebrew access...

One way to tell if you're perma-bricked (unless you do some hardmod) is if you can't access anything other than the WiiU boot logo, meaning you wouldn't even see CBHC happening, this is because CBHC and all his menu code and things like that is in the app, if the app isn't present anymore, you won't be able to display "Autobooting" or other things.

freshgoatmilk likes this.
  20. brandon916

brandon916 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Nothing wrong w that meantality. I just picked up my 2nd wii u just for back up sake. Never know 5-10 yrs from now.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

$40? Dude, where? Crazy deal. I got one for $80.

21. freshgoatmilk

OP freshgoatmilk Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I use this app called Mercari, can find real good deals on there. For $40 I just got the unit and the power cord though, nothing else. If you paid $80 I hope it came with the gamepad as well.

Screenshot_20200308-001453_Mercari.jpg

Last edited by freshgoatmilk, Mar 8, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - useless,