Hacking Question Is my SysNAND clean? Should I restore NAND from backup?

MesaNightDrone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First time hacking my 4.0.1 switch, everything seemed to work but after updating my CFW to 9.2.0 with ChoidujourNX it unexpectedly updated my stock firmware to 9.2.0 as well.

So, my question is, is my sysnand clean or should I restore to the nand backup I took? The last time I went online was probably two years ago!

These are the steps I followed:

Was on 4.0.1 (hadn’t used my switch in years).

Accessed RCM, injected TegraExplorer payload, and then on the Switch I formatted my SD card for EmuMMC setup. Then rebooted to RCM

Then copied the files I needed from my PC to the SD card, including Atmosphere 0.11.11, sig patches and hekate_ctcaer_5.1.4_J

Then, with the SD card back in the switch, got into Hekate and backed up eMMC boot0 & boot1 and also eMMC RAW GPP.

Then created an emuMMC partition (SD partition), and changed emuMMC from disabled to SD Raw 1. At this point emuMMC was showing as Enabled.

Then attempted to launch CFW EmuMMC from Hekate. I saw the Atmosphere loading screen but at some point after it stopped with a black screen and the CFW wouldn’t load. After a few attempts I managed to get back to Hekate but again the CFW wouldn’t load.

So back on the PC I decided to delete all the files on the SD card and re-transfer all my source files back on to the SD card, eg Atmosphere etc. Doing this seemed to work and was now able to load 'CFW EmuMMC' from Hekate. Looking at my system version confirmed I was on a Atmosphere CFW so then powered down and rebooted to stock. Again the system version showed I was on my original stock FW. So at this point I thought everything was fine

[EDIT: so then went through the RCM procedure again and reloaded CFW emuMMC from Hekate]

A little bit later that day I decided to upgrade my CFW from 4.0.1 to 9.2.0, which I did with ChoidujourNX (with autoRCM enabled).

[EDIT: when ChoidujourNX finished I selected Reboot which took me back into the CFW, was now on 9.2.0 and was able to see homebrew apps. So then powered off and booted stock.]

However, this updated my stock firmware to 9.2.0 as well, which I wasn’t expecting. When I had a look in Hekate, I noticed that emuMMC was showing as disabled again. Everything was working fine but I decided to recreate the EmuMMC partition. This is now showing as enabled again, both stock and CFW still appear to be working fine. The CFW system version has an E on the end, which I gather indicates that it’s using the EmuMMC partition.

Last edited by MesaNightDrone,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

First time hacking my 4.0.1 switch, everything seemed to work but after updating my CFW to 9.2.0 with ChoidujourNX it unexpectedly updated my stock firmware to 9.2.0 as well.

So, my question is, is my sysnand clean or should I restore to the nand backup I took? The last time I went online was probably two years ago!

Accessed RCM, injected TegraExplorer payload, and then on the Switch I formatted my SD card for EmuMMC setup. Then rebooted to RCM

Then copied the files I needed from my PC to the SD card, including Atmosphere 0.11.11, sig patches and hekate_ctcaer_5.1.4_J

Then, with the SD card back in the switch, got into Hekate and backed up eMMC boot0 & boot1 and also eMMC RAW GPP.

Then created an emuMMC partition (SD partition), and changed emuMMC from disabled to SD Raw 1. At this point emuMMC was showing as Enabled.

Then attempted to launch CFW EmuMMC from Hekate. I saw the Atmosphere loading screen but at some point after it stopped with a black screen and the CFW wouldn’t load. After a few attempts I managed to get back to Hekate but again the CFW wouldn’t load.

So back on the PC I decided to delete all the files on the SD card and re-transfer all my source files back on to the SD card, eg Atmosphere etc. Doing this seemed to work and was now able to load 'CFW EmuMMC' from Hekate. Looking at my system version confirmed I was on a Atmosphere CFW so then powered down and rebooted to stock. Again the system version showed I was on my original stock FW. So at this point I thought everything was fine.

A little bit later that day I decided to upgrade my CFW from 4.0.1 to 9.2.0, which I did with ChoidujourNX (with autoRCM enabled). However, this updated my stock firmware to 9.2.0 as well, which I wasn’t expecting. When I had a look in Hekate, I noticed that emuMMC was showing as disabled again. Everything was working fine but I decided to recreate the EmuMMC partition. This is now showing as enabled again, both stock and CFW still appear to be working fine. The CFW system version has an E on the end, which I gather indicates that it’s using the EmuMMC partition.
You are misunderstanding CFW. CFW has different version numbers from OFW. ChoiDujourNX only updates the firmware the console is running. CFW is only updated when you update the files for CFW. There is no CFW on version 4.1 or 9.1, those numbers only refer to OFW. CFW has different version numbers depending on the CFW you use. The latest version of ReiNX is 2.4, SX OS is 2.95, and Atmosphere is 0.12.0

MesaNightDrone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Many thanks for the reply. The version numbers I'm referring to are as per the Nintendo System setting screen after booting up in either stock or emuMMC Atmosphere

What I don't understand is how ChoiDujourNX updated my stock firmware to 9.2.0. It was definitely ChoiDujourNX as my switch hasn't been online in years. I was expecting my stock to stay on 4.0.1

I now want the option of playing online using stock firmware (with legit games) but I don't know whether it's safe to do so.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many thanks for the reply. The version numbers I'm referring to are as per the Nintendo System setting screen after booting up in either stock or emuMMC Atmosphere

What I don't understand is how ChoiDujourNX updated my stock firmware to 9.2.0. It was definitely ChoiDujourNX as my switch hasn't been online in years. I was expecting my stock to stay on 4.0.1

I now want the option of playing online using stock firmware (with legit games) but I don't know whether it's safe to do so.
The point of ChoiDujourNX is to update your firmware.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you're saying it's normal for ChoiDujourNX to update sysNAND even though I ran it in EmuNAND?
Your original post never clarified if you were in emuMMC or not when you used ChoiDujourNX. All you indicated was
Looking at my system version confirmed I was on a Atmosphere CFW so then powered down and rebooted to stock.
CFW can be booted on sysMMC or emuMMC. Plus Hekate showed emuMMC was disabled after you performed the system update.
When I had a look in Hekate, I noticed that emuMMC was showing as disabled again.
Its entirely possible that you loaded sysMMC without realizing as older versions of Hekate would boot sysMMC even if you chose to boot emuMMC if the emuMMC wasn't setup properly.

Reactions: mikefor20

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you're saying it's normal for ChoiDujourNX to update sysNAND even though I ran it in EmuNAND?

Sounds like user error. You MIGHT be able to fix it... /Sounds like you have AutoRCM enabled. If so you SHOULD have preserved your fuses.You can print a fuse report in Hekate and check the number of fuses agaoinst the chart in the link below to see what firmware your fuses allow... Downgrade with ChoiDuJourNX or restore an applicable backup.... 4.0.1 could be the sweetspot someday for coldboot..

Chart is at the bottom of the page under Anti - Downgrade

https://switchbrew.org/wiki/Fuses

For 4.0.1 you should have 5 burnt fuses. If you still do you can downgrade.

Hi all,

So back on the PC I decided to delete all the files on the SD card and re-transfer all my source files back on to the SD card, eg Atmosphere etc. Doing this seemed to work and was now able to load 'CFW EmuMMC' from Hekate. Looking at my system version confirmed I was on a Atmosphere CFW so then powered down and rebooted to stock. Again the system version showed I was on my original stock FW. So at this point I thought everything was fine.

A little bit later that day I decided to upgrade my CFW from 4.0.1 to 9.2.0, which I did with ChoidujourNX (with autoRCM enabled). However, this updated my stock firmware to 9.2.0 as well, which I wasn’t expecting. When I had a look in Hekate, I noticed that emuMMC was showing as disabled again. Everything was working fine but I decided to recreate the EmuMMC partition. This is now showing as enabled again, both stock and CFW still appear to be working fine. The CFW system version has an E on the end, which I gather indicates that it’s using the EmuMMC partition.

Do you intend to go online with your switch?

MesaNightDrone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Your original post never clarified if you were in emuMMC or not when you used ChoiDujourNX

You're right, apologies. I've made a few edits to my original post to hopefully make clearer.

Its entirely possible that you loaded sysMMC without realizing as older versions of Hekate would boot sysMMC even if you chose to boot emuMMC if the emuMMC wasn't setup properly.

As per original post, I'm using Hekate v5.1.4

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Sounds like user error. You MIGHT be able to fix it... /Sounds like you have AutoRCM enabled. If so you SHOULD have preserved your fuses.You can print a fuse report in Hekate and check the number of fuses agaoinst the chart in the link below to see what firmware your fuses allow... Downgrade with ChoiDuJourNX or restore an applicable backup.... 4.0.1 could be the sweetspot someday for coldboot..

Chart is at the bottom of the page under Anti - Downgrade

For 4.0.1 you should have 5 burnt fuses. If you still do you can downgrade.

Do you intend to go online with your switch?
I agree, it probably was user error!

From the Cached fuses Info screen in Hekate it says: 'Burnt Fuses (ODM 7/6): 12 - 0'

I want to play legit games online with sysNAND, so wouldn't have stayed on 4.0.1 anyway. My concern is something went wrong somewhere so sysNAND may be dirty now. Should I restore sysNAND from my initial backup files or am I likely to encounter issues? I'm loathe to do this as the CFW is working perfectly fine buts its niggling me that sysNAND might be dirty.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
12 is the fuse count for 9.1

You can restore your backup if you like. It's your best bet. I don't know if your NAND is dirty or not. Truth is no one knows for sure except Ninty. Was your NAND backup done before you did any CFW fuckery?

MesaNightDrone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
12 is the fuse count for 9.1

You can restore your backup if you like. It's your best bet. I don't know if your NAND is dirty or not. Truth is no one knows for sure except Ninty. Was your NAND backup done before you did any CFW fuckery?

Yup, as per original post, after loading Hekate for the first time I backed up eMMC boot0 & boot1 and eMMC RAW GPP. Also backed up BIS keys.

Am I right in thinking that if I were to restore my nand backup, I would then need to boot the OFW through Hekate to skip the fuse checks and then perform a regular system update?

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, as per original post, after loading Hekate for the first time I backed up eMMC boot0 & boot1 and eMMC RAW GPP. Also backed up BIS keys.

Am I right in thinking that if I were to restore my nand backup, I would then need to boot the OFW through Hekate to skip the fuse checks and then perform a regular system update?
Yes your thinking is right. The big question really is this: Have you taken your system online with CFW at all after making your original backup? If not, you're safe to restore and then upgrade to latest FW to avoid ban.

MesaNightDrone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes your thinking is right. The big question really is this: Have you taken your system online with CFW at all after making your original backup? If not, you're safe to restore and then upgrade to latest FW to avoid ban.

Yep, has been in flight mode the whole time on both stock and CFW.

Many thanks for everyone's help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Only if you send him feet