Hacking Is...my R4 dead?

Hawk Ahriman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was playing Pokemon Pearl about half an hour ago...suddenly, and randomly, it just cut out. Made the sound it makes when you turn it on/off, like, the sort of pop of the speakers. Everything stopped moving, and I couldn't do anything, so I turned it off and on and....now it just doesn't work. Goes to the "touch screen to continue" message and then shows the DS slot as empty. Turned it on/off like 20 times, tried to take it out/in a load of times...nothing.

I checked the memory card in my computer and everything seems to be fine, so I don't think it's a problem with the memory card. Tried using other games and they work fine, so I don't think it's a problem with the DS so...

is my R4 dead?

Hawk Ahriman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
wow, odd

it just started working again...

actually, come to think about it, i have had bouts before where it just stops working for a few seconds but then when I restart it it starts working again. maybe this is more of the same...

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I have the same problem where sometimes a game will just freeze then when I power it off and back again it doesn't recognize the card. Usually taking it out and blowing on both the MicroSD slot and the R4 cart connections sorts it out.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Happens to me sometimes, thought it was a write off at one point. Taking it out and putting it back in again a few times usually fixes it. Sometimes it wont happen for months, sometimes it happens 3 times in the same day.

Freaker

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
teamos.org
XP
Country
Happens to me sometimes, thought it was a write off at one point. Taking it out and putting it back in again a few times usually fixes it. Sometimes it wont happen for months, sometimes it happens 3 times in the same day.
It happened a lot when I first got my M3DSS. Sometimes it'd take ages of turning on and off the DS and/or reinserting the cart before it would recognise it again. I swear once I did it nonstop for over 5mins before it'd get going again.

It eventually just stopped happening (or vary rarely) after about a month or two. I then got my DSL
yaynds.gif
(was using a phat previously) and I've only had it freeze and die on me once or twice.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If the paper trick really works, I gotta do it because I hate it when it freezes in the worst moments =/ It also sometimes freezes when I put my DS into sleep mode and turn it back on.

madlobster

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If the paper trick really works, I gotta do it because I hate it when it freezes in the worst moments =/ It also sometimes freezes when I put my DS into sleep mode and turn it back on.

It works for me. I opened up the R4 and put a small piece of folded-up paper behind the contacts. It's a little tighter in the DS now, but no more freezes.

Foie

That one guy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My R4 has never done this, but my Passcard 3 has. And it has happened in other people's DSes with my R4. Kind of odd. Maybe it affects the DS Phat more than the DS Lite... Which one do you have?

zeppo

change my avatar!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think it affects the ds phat more. I have both and when I put it in my lite I feel the screw in the back of it against the inside of the ds more than when putting it in the phat.

EDIT: actually, it's about the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one