Hardware Is my GPU overheating?

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My GPU was acting strange the other day when I was playing some games, I noticed it was very hot (hot air was coming out of the outtake vent) and my games were studdering and even caused one of them to freeze...kinda? (music was playing normally but gameplay was frozen) I saw the temp was 60c and thought it was kinda crazy and stopped playing anything on it. Now my room is hot so I try to keep it cool and all, this gpu never gave me any problems not sure if it's okay or I need to check it out more? It's a geforce 610m which is equivalent to a 580 from what I read.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I suspect you have a laptop? It may start doing what you describe once it starts throttling the GPU loads. This happens either due to bad ventilation (easily done by blocking the air vents by accident) or prolonged gaming on the device's maximum capabilities.

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Worried because I ran the mass effect games awhile back and those were making it hot but was able to play them fine hope I didn't ruin it...

EDIT: Yeah it's a laptop it's weird because I keep the vents open so nothing could of blocked it, I swear I was playing fallout 3 and within minutes it started to act up I did have it on high textures so maybe that did it too?

Last edited by jDSX,

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Graphics cards are rated to run over 90 degrees, although I personally prefer them to run under 70. If they're only hitting 60, I'd say that's perfectly normal and nothing to worry about at all.

Also, the 610M is nowhere near the 580M in performance. x10M and x20M are entry level graphics chips in laptops that are enough to play Blurays, but only barely able to play games. x80M and x85M are the top end graphics chips used in gaming laptops or desktop replacement laptops.

Stuttering could either be caused by your VRAM filling up (fixed by turning down graphics settings), throttling of your CPU/GPU (although 60 degrees isn't usually enough to throttle), or thrashing on your HDD (e.g. if it tries to do a virus scan whilst you're playing your games).

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Graphics cards are rated to run over 90 degrees, although I personally prefer them to run under 70. If they're only hitting 60, I'd say that's perfectly normal and nothing to worry about at all.

Also, the 610M is nowhere near the 580M in performance. x10M and x20M are entry level graphics chips in laptops that are enough to play Blurays, but only barely able to play games. x80M and x85M are the top end graphics chips used in gaming laptops or desktop replacement laptops.

Stuttering could either be caused by your VRAM filling up (fixed by turning down graphics settings), throttling of your CPU/GPU (although 60 degrees isn't usually enough to throttle), or thrashing on your HDD (e.g. if it tries to do a virus scan whilst you're playing your games).

Not the 580M, the desktop model which is gtx I believe. How come the 6 series is worse than the 5 series? Did Nvidia get lazy or something?

edit: sorry "The performance depends on the chip clock speeds of the 610M and therefore ranges between the GeForce GT 520M and GT 520MX"

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I used to suffer my 7600GT going over 107°C around a decade ago during the hot summers when I lived in a desert city.
Horrible summers, not even with the AC running all the time could you cope with well over 50°C temperature for long.
Anyway, as I was saying, I got my 7600GT going over 107°C often. And even when in some weird occasions I got a crash, and in some other occasion some green pixels, nothing was permanent.
I still can't believe the thing could take so much abuse without permanent damage.

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not the 580M, the desktop model which is gtx I believe. How come the 6 series is worse than the 5 series? Did Nvidia get lazy or something?

edit: sorry "The performance depends on the chip clock speeds of the 610M and therefore ranges between the GeForce GT 520M and GT 520MX"
AFAIK A high end model of anything will usually be better that the next series' lower end products.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Someone once said that each generation improves in a "step of 10". So the 570 is equivalent to the 660, and so on. This isn't accurate, but it gives a general idea of how each generation improves performance.

610M is an entry model. GTX 580 is a flagship desktop graphics. Desktop graphics are always far stronger than their mobility (laptop) counterparts. If you want actual numbers to compare them, well.... 1,659 GFLOPS (580) vs 141.7 GFLOPS (610M).

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ouch, So then the question is what would be the desktop equivalent of the 610m?
A... very old card?
I have a GT630M, and seriously, my old desktop 9800GT overperformed it clearly.
So... I don't know... but perhaps a GT610M it would be equivalent to an old 9600GT at best... (and I doubt it)

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
In terms of performance, it's roughly on par with Intel HD Graphics 4000 or AMD Radeon 8280. Both are integrated graphics cores of CPUs.

Edit: when comparing the 9600GT vs 610M, it's 208 GFLOPS vs 141.7 GFLOPS. I still think there's no point trying to compare entry level laptop graphics to any desktop graphics at all.
Edit2: Because desktop graphics can have larger more sophisticated cooling systems and have a stronger power supply, whilst laptop graphics have to be downsized to fit, have limited cooling, and are stripped down to be more energy efficient and drain batteries less (whilst producing less heat).

Last edited by Originality,
Reactions: jDSX

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could I upgrade the 610m with say a better one since it's dedicated? This came with two gpus one is an intel hd and the 610m

samiam144

Régulier
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I tried the gt 610 for desktops and it was weaker than my integrated Intel HD 4600 lol
I bought a gt 640 since it was cheap and I only play Counter-Strike really, but it can handle GTA 5 at 720P on medium-high graphics. I'd suggest a better card though if you really like PC gaming!

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could I upgrade the 610m with say a better one since it's dedicated? This came with two gpus one is an intel hd and the 610m

Not really that it comes with two GPUs, Intel HD is just integrated graphics on the CPU. You won't be able to do any upgrading if you've got an average run-of-the-mill laptop.

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really that it comes with two GPUs, Intel HD is just integrated graphics on the CPU. You won't be able to do any upgrading if you've got an average run-of-the-mill laptop.

No I meant my laptop came with two gpus I know I can't take out the intel hd because it's integrated in the MO, talking about the 610m

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I meant my laptop came with two gpus I know I can't take out the intel hd because it's integrated in the MO, talking about the 610m
Apparently you can replace some laptop GPUs, but it can be difficult depending on what model laptop you have. There are kits out there that you can purchase with some pretty beefy mobile GPUs, but they can be pretty pricey.

Last edited by Zerousen,

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is my specs

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    150.7 KB · Views: 191