Hardware Is it worthwhile to replace a SATA PCB with an IDE PCB on a hard disk?

Alex4nder001

Part-time thug
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a phat PS2 with an official network adapter. I plan on installing freemcboot on the HDD once the IDE to USB adapter arrives in the mail. Anyway I have an 80GB IDE HDD (3.5in) from an old PC, but I'm unsure it's big enough (I have around 23 PS2 iso's on my PC). I also have a 160GB SATA HDD (also 3.5in).
I don't plan on spending any more money (that means I can't buy a bigger IDE HDD or network adapter with a SATA connection). Is it possible to swap the controller boards so I have an IDE connection on the bigger hard disk drive? If so, is it expensive or hard to do? (I have a soldering iron by the way).

Last edited by Alex4nder001,

GearCross

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That won't work, it may work when both disks are the same model and even then, it's not guaranteed... If it does, it's only recommended in a data recovery situation. Each hard drive is precisely calibrated at the factory and the logic board stores those calibration parameters to cater to that specific disk.

Last edited by GearCross,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1