Hardware Is it Safe to Directly Connect HDMI from Cable?

MochaMilk

That one weird Furry Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I heard from a few videos that stated that third party Switch docks can brick your system. Is this true?
I won't be getting an official one for a while since I have other accessories to buy for it, and it's pretty pricey. The real question is if it's safe to connect a USB-C to HDMI cord from my Switch to the TV. I don't think that's exactly third party. I don't even know if it is the charging or display that is the culprit. Thanks in advance! :)

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
USB and HDMI are two different protocols. It won't work. One is for video(actually a more fancy network cable ;)) and the other for more stuff.

Reactions: MochaMilk

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are some devices with USB C that only require a very small adapter to hdmi wihout being an actual dock, but I don't think Nintendo switch is made to output like that...

There are however very slim docks for it, but since a few of them are bricking switches I would never use them my self.

And then the C standards of Switch is more like some USB C based laptops where docked it uses 15V with way more power than any phone out there and the dock is what makes the switch to enter in the high power mod to be used as a home console.

Without the dock and the charger even if you could use a USB C to hdmi small adapter it would look like a crap on portable clocks low power mode on a big TV.

Last edited by guily6669,

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Some people had issues with the nyko dock, but i think it might be because it doesnt fully support the weight of the console which could cause the port to break.

Last edited by kevin corms,

MochaMilk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you all for your answers. You saved me from wasting time and money on something that wouldn't work. I'll just get the official dock later. :)

MochaMilk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You shouldn't need to, there should already be one included with the system. I dunno why people need more docks so much they buy 3rd party shit that bricks the system.
I was dumb and bought a Switch console only, for $195.00. Buying the needed equipment and accessories is costing nearly double the amount of money I would have paid if I had just waited to buy a boxed one. So the only things I have right now are the console, and Joy cons a friend gave to me. (and Mario Odyssey and Kirby star allies, one of which probably would have come bundled... extra $120.00, woo! )

Last edited by MochaMilk,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill