Hacking Is it really worth the wait?

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hacker One will make it very difficult to keep holes open in future firmware. It only takes one set of lips to detail a hole for it to be patched and removed, regardless of how much you may know of a lower firmware's vulnerabilities. Holes have to be found and understood by a wider group ahead of Hacker One submissions to be useful and a lot of holes will become a revolving door that will be difficult to keep track of and to keep track of vulnerable FWs.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Impossible to say definitively. But as we've seen time and time again, systems that are initially only hackable on a certain firmware tend to end up as hackable on later firmwares at a later date. So if you have no issue waiting now, perhaps you'd have no issue waiting considerably longer in hopes that the later firmwares will also get hacked. Having said that, there is no guarantee, and you could be shit out of luck if you choose to update instead of waiting. i weighed all those options and I personally chose to update. If it works out that I can hack it later on, that's awesome, but if it forever remains unhackable on these later firmwares... oh well, I'll live, its a great system as it is, and my Wii U and N3DS are still hacked wide open for most my emulator needs (Which really is the main reason I personally hack).

Reactions: Maximilious
D

Deleted-355425

Just buy one and stick it under the bed and stop mulling it over, UK had them for £255 this week at places, As firmware gets patched then we really will be at the mercy of devs that will stick on lower vulnerable firmware to find the patched exploits and release it to us mere scrubs.

:-infern:

GBAtemp Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Research and development are two completely different things. Just because you can research something (aka, google and read) doesn't mean you know how it actually works.

Can you tell me the pattern of XB360/ONE and PS3/4 security breaches? Fairly non-existent scene's there unless you owned a launch console or could JTAG your console. You're also forgetting two key words that were never a part of previous Nintendo Consoles - HackerOne Program.

I'm not saying new exploit's won't be found, but it is also not fair to say that they 100% will be either.

Not really. You cant do any development unless you have done the research and actually understood the system.
I ain't going to tell you naything about shit, just use google yourself.

No one gives a damn about HackerOne. The active scene members dont do it for money, they do it for the challenge and fame. 3DS had a hackerone program since 9.0 I think and still it got cracked further.

Gootah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To me, this system is super crap, so the wait is easy. I have PS4 (day 1 spare and day 1 spare PS Pro *fingers crossed*), modded 3DS, modded WiiU (so I played BoTW) and modded Vita. Many of those systems are so much better than this one, I have no problem waiting.

The best thing that could come out of this is full joycon support for PC, the second best things is a huge library for emulator ports, the last things is piracy (simply because the titles for the system make me yawn). In short, easy wait. Would have updated for a classic Metroid game, not willing to update for a first person one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu