Hardware Is it possible to use XInput controller on a 360?

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an 8BitDo SF30 Pro, which I mainly use for Switch and PC stuff. But when I plug it into my PC, it's recognized as an Xbox 360 controller. My PSU for my 360 hasn't showed up yet, so I can't yet test it, but it seems like it should work, at least wired. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

Reactions: Deleted User

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an 8BitDo SF30 Pro, which I mainly use for Switch and PC stuff. But when I plug it into my PC, it's recognized as an Xbox 360 controller. My PSU for my 360 hasn't showed up yet, so I can't yet test it, but it seems like it should work, at least wired. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

being recognized as a 360 controller is normal for a lot of different controllers when connected to pc. I've never really tried using other controllers on my system, but I know they made things that are supposed to work on multiple systems. the 360 uses rf with the rf board being where the rol is on a phat 360, so I guess it depends on what that controller is using. if it's using something like bluetooth, you'll probably need a cable.

D

Deleted User

I've been using a 360 since launch and AFAIK no outside controllers will work with it unlike most other systems. Not even xinput controllers from PC. Only official Microsoft 360 controllers or certain arcade sticks that were made specifically for the console. There's not even a mayflash adapter or anything and there's one for just about every other console even Xbox One PS3 PS4 Switch I could go on and on.

I stand corrected there's this but it's ridiculously expensive https://www.amazon.com/CronusMax-Cross-Cover-Gaming-Adapter-Windows/dp/B013E2KD5M

Last edited by ,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember that, but was trying to think of the name before posting. I think the 360 using rf instead of bluetooth is what makes it a problem.

StrayGuitarist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
being recognized as a 360 controller is normal for a lot of different controllers when connected to pc. I've never really tried using other controllers on my system, but I know they made things that are supposed to work on multiple systems. the 360 uses rf with the rf board being where the rol is on a phat 360, so I guess it depends on what that controller is using. if it's using something like bluetooth, you'll probably need a cable.
It is a bluetooth controller, yeah. From what I've heard, it seems unlikely it's compatible, even though it's XInput. I've been plugging it into my PC via its included USB C to USB A cable, and XPadder recognizes it as a Microsoft Xbox 360 controller.

I've been using a 360 since launch and AFAIK no outside controllers will work with it unlike most other systems. Not even xinput controllers from PC. Only official Microsoft 360 controllers or certain arcade sticks that were made specifically for the console. There's not even a mayflash adapter or anything and there's one for just about every other console even Xbox One PS3 PS4 Switch I could go on and on.

I stand corrected there's this but it's ridiculously expensive https://www.amazon.com/CronusMax-Cross-Cover-Gaming-Adapter-Windows/dp/B013E2KD5M

I've used the console since the blades dash, excluding a break I've had from needing to sell my console a few years back, but I never tried anything but official wireless controllers, and third-party controllers specifically designed for the console.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how it would work for the 360. plugins seems to one area where the 360 lags behind the ps3. there's a plugin for the ps3 that does something like this as long as you have the device and vendor ids. I guess you could get that by plugging it into a pc or connecting it wirelessly. however, anything like a 360 controller or whatever that doesn't use bluetooth requires a usb cable.

StrayGuitarist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how it would work for the 360. plugins seems to one area where the 360 lags behind the ps3. there's a plugin for the ps3 that does something like this as long as you have the device and vendor ids. I guess you could get that by plugging it into a pc or connecting it wirelessly. however, anything like a 360 controller or whatever that doesn't use bluetooth requires a usb cable.

Oh, I have no intention of using it wirelessly, just curious if it would work at all. It doesn't have analog triggers, though, so I'm not sure if that would pose an issue.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's probably possible depending on what you're using, but finding something that works, I dunno. you did choose a good wireless controller: 8bitdo. I bought two of them for every mini console I own, and they work flawlessly. the nes mini ones even have a reset button on the controller itself.

Reactions: StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's probably possible depending on what you're using, but finding something that works, I dunno. you did choose a good wireless controller: 8bitdo. I bought two of them for every mini console I own, and they work flawlessly. the nes mini ones even have a reset button on the controller itself.
Eh, guess I'll just have to try it 'n see if it works. I'll update the thread then.

Oh, yeah, they're awesome. I love playing any 2D or racing stuff on Switch with my SF30 Pro, and I use it for playing Stick Fight: The Game and various other better-with-a-controller Steam games on PC.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what's odd about that reset button imo is that it's not on the snes, genesis, or turbo grafx minis. I wonder why they didn't do it on any other controller. I'm not sure if the input on the front can be used as wired. I've never tried it. I've only used it for charging.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

btw, something interesting I discovered. the nes and snes controllers for the switch nso member thing -- they work on the pc with nes and snes emulators.

StrayGuitarist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick update, I tried it. It connected and automatically entered XInput mode, but the 360 did not care at all. Tried a few other XInput controllers too, the only thing that worked was an official controller. Well, we have our answer.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have had good luck with this device. https://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/59327520/

The Brook Wingman XB works on Xbox 360 and Xbox One. So far I am able to use

Xbox One controllers including Elite V2 (Bluetooth models only for Wireless support)
Xbox 360 controllers (can use wireless via the Xbox 360 Wireless receiver) [this is a good option for people who dont feel like swapping RF boards if theirs is dead].
DualShock 3 and 4 over wired and wireless and their SCUF counterparts [excludes Vantage, which can be used USB only so i have heard but I have not tested that yet]
Switch controllers, including my Crash Gamestop version PowerA controller that is wired only

the PS4 equivelent, the Wingman XE is a lot more limited. it cannot use Switch controllers among other things which is odd, and I cant daisy chain the XB after the XE to work around that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • K3Nv2
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: sorry, i was laughing at what k3n said