Hardware Is it possible to use a hard drive taken out of an Xbox 360 and put it in a jailbroken PS3

• Thread starter Deleted-353083
  • Start date
  • Views 2,517
  • Replies 8
D

Deleted-353083

OP
To be precise i mean the actual SATA hard drive. I had an Xbox 360 (original fat model) that has now finally gotten the infamous RROD and it had a 250 gb hard drive and i've already extracted the SATA drive by using a T7 screwdriver to undo the screws and then disconnecting the drive from the connector cables.

I also have a 120 gb jailbroken slim PS3 and i've already tried taking the hard drive out of the PS3, taking it out of the metal cage thingey and putting the 250 gb hd in it and putting that in my PS3 obviously to have more storage (i've switched PS3 hard drives many times before... but i will admit it was always with other hard drives that had already come from other PS3's)

Obviously i knew that the hd that came from the 360 would need to be formatted to work on the PS3, but i thought it would simply be something like putting the new hd in and then turning the PS3 on and getting a screen telling me i would need to format it and press the X button to do so (i already know all the data relating to the actual jailbreak itself is stored in the console's flash memory, so it would be unaffected) and then finally after the format everything would go back to normal and i would simply need to reinstall all my pkg files.

However everytime i try putting the hd from the 360 in the PS3, as soon as the screen comes on i get –

“The system software cannot be run correctly. Press the PS button to try to restart system. If the system cannot be restarted, you must reinstall the software. Connect storage media that contains update data of version 2.70 or later and then press the START and SELECT at the same time.”

Pressing the PS button does nothing, restarting the console changes nothing and as for the “Connect storage media that contains update data” i wouldn’t have a clue what to do as i am well and truly not a tech-savvy person (i bought my PS3 already jailbroken off Ebay) and i’d be too worried about possibly losing the jailbreak to even try anything anyway.

To finally sum up… i’m sure there’s a very simple solution to this. If any of you wonderful lovely nerds could help me out with this i’ll be very appreciative. Cheers

D

Deleted-353083

OP
if the xbox drive is 2'5 inches (the laptop size) should be fine.
Thank you for that information, but... umm... what exactly am i supposed to do? Obviously i need to put a thumb drive in my PS3 with some software on it but what software and where do i get it from and will i lose my jailbreak?

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for that information, but... umm... what exactly am i supposed to do? Obviously i need to put a thumb drive in my PS3 with some software on it but what software and where do i get it from and will i lose my jailbreak?
You can just format the drive, and put the PS3 CFW update on a USB, and apply it, and thats it, you will not lose your CFW ability.

D

Deleted-353083

OP
You can just format the drive, and put the PS3 CFW update on a USB, and apply it, and thats it, you will not lose your CFW ability.
Any chance of explaining how to do all that in a step-by-step way as if you were explaining it to a 5 year old (just cause when it comes to tech stuff that is roughly about my age level of knowledge... sadly)?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Any chance of explaining how to do all that in a step-by-step way as if you were explaining it to a 5 year old (just cause when it comes to tech stuff that is roughly about my age level of knowledge... sadly)?
I noticed when i put the original 120 gb hd back in the PS3 it works just fine... can i go to some settings somewhere (either on the XMB screen or in multiman) and select some option that will copy the necessary files on to a thumb drive from what's already in the console (hope that made sense)?

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I noticed when i put the original 120 gb hd back in the PS3 it works just fine... can i go to some settings somewhere (either on the XMB screen or in multiman) and select some option that will copy the necessary files on to a thumb drive from what's already in the console (hope that made sense)?
No you cant copy on the ps3 file by file, well theorically you can using multiman, but if you have many many many stuff, it will A LOT of time, so if you dont got anything important, you might as well and format it.

As for the first question.
  1. Take the disc out of the xbox
  2. put it on the PS3
  3. download a CFW of your preference [I normally use REBUG]
  4. put the update file on a USB.
  5. enter to recovery mod on the PS3.
  6. Format the drive
  7. apply update VIA USB.
  8. Ta Da!

Reactions: migles
D

Deleted-353083

OP
No you cant copy on the ps3 file by file, well theorically you can using multiman, but if you have many many many stuff, it will A LOT of time, so if you dont got anything important, you might as well and format it.

As for the first question.
  1. Take the disc out of the xbox
  2. put it on the PS3
  3. download a CFW of your preference [I normally use REBUG]
  4. put the update file on a USB.
  5. enter to recovery mod on the PS3.
  6. Format the drive
  7. apply update VIA USB.
  8. Ta Da!
Ok peeps... need help still with this. I followed this youtube vid exactly so i'm satisfied the hd is formatted now...

However it then just exits, goes blank for a few seconds, and then comes up with the exact same screens as before (firstly the one which says to press the PS button, which i do) and then the very same screen then comes up that i mentioned in the first post... however after i press start and select together it scans for maybe 10 seconds before, everytime, coming up with a screen that says " No applicable update data was found" even though i have a thumb drive plugged into the top usb port (formatted to Fat32) with a folder inside called PS3 and a folder inside that called UPDATE and then finally a file inside that one called PS3UPDAT.PUP (just PUP once like it's supposed to be) and i got it from this link...

https://playstationscenefiles.com/r...PS3UPDAT_6eead68f81a66502294fd329d4087106.PUP

Yeah, so as far as i know i'm doing everything right but it still won't work. Unless someone can see here where i did do something wrong then the only thing i can think of is i need to use a different PUP file. Any of you wonderful lovely nerds know if i did make a mistake somewhere or if they know where to get the correct PUP file?

xxOMEGAxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What firmware was on your PS3?? Sounds like QA flag is not on. You might have to flash 4.82 OFW and reinstall the jailbreak.

But before we go through that headache. Try this instead. This is 4.82.2 REBUG LITE, less requirements for install and then you can go REX for DEX/D-REX if you want.

RIP, can't post links cause I'm new here. DM me.

or Discord - Meetchum#5237

Alex4nder001

Part-time thug
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
AFAIK the HDD on an Xbox 360 was written with a special firmware, so it’s not as simple as just swapping and reformatting. You’d also need to re-flash the hard drive’s firmware. Are you really that broke not to be able to afford a new HDD?

Reactions: SonyUSA

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK the HDD on an Xbox 360 was written with a special firmware, so it’s not as simple as just swapping and reformatting. You’d also need to re-flash the hard drive’s firmware. Are you really that broke not to be able to afford a new HDD?

^ This.

It's been a long time but I do recall you had to do a bunch of trickey to get drives to work on xbox's.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Yummy yummy :rofl2: