Hacking Is it possible to run games from a SD card through channels?

kingkonghong

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far, I've figured out how to play burned discs using a SD card and NeoGamma (With help from you guys). However, my next goal is to play games from a SD card.

Some say that you have to leave the SD card with NeoGamma in the Wii, and get a USB thingy for another SD card that you will solely use for Wii games. Then you jack in the USB thingy (With the 2nd SD card inserted) and NeoGamma is used to play games from it.

But I heard others made NeoGamma (along with some other programs) a channel and all they needed to do was insert the SD card solely devoted to games in the Wii. The channels could play the games on the SD card.

Honestly, the first method sounds too dependent on all the materials. If you lose even a single thing, you cant play games using SD cards.

What I'm interested in is the second method. I'm sorry if I sound lazy, but here are my questions/requests.

1) Could someone give me a reliable method to make NeoGamma or any other game loader a channel? I found some methods of doing this, but I saw some comments about bricked Wii's that scared me away from those methods.
2) Is the second method possible?
3) If so, what programs would you need to make a channel of for the second method?
4) Is there anything else I need to be careful of?
5) thanks :]

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's a newer Wii with a serial starting with LU64 then no, you cannot play burned games on it via a softmod. The easiest way right now, and forever, is loading off of a USB hard drive.

Either way you can't simply pop in the SD card and expect it to work on a non-modded system. No matter which method you go for, the Wii needs to be modded first (this can be done via a softmod). To softmod, you can follow any one of the numerous guides already featured on this site in the most logical location (at the top of where you posted this thread). Once your system is capable of running homebrew, you could check out the neogamma threads on this site, but I believe the official release is not a channel. The best way to avoid having to reinstall a new channel every time an update is released is to use a forwarder. You can be forwarding to your SD card or USB hard drive. Whenever an update is released you can simply replace the one folder on your SD card or USB hard drive and you're good to go. No need to uninstall and install a anew channel. If you're going the USB hard drive method, I highly suggest USB Loader GX. Just like here, they also have guides to getting it to work on your Wii (http://usbloadergx.koureio.net/).

To load solely off of an SD card would also require a large SD card. While some games are small (eg. NSMB is 300MB - 400MB) many are much larger, especially Brawl or Trilogy, so you'd only be able to have a few on there. The same amount of work is required to get your Wii to load games off of a USB hard drive as it does an SD card. While an SD card is required for the initial setup (any size will do and is only needed for a few minutes) a hard drive gives you a lot more storage. Just the latest craze is all.

Oh right, bricking. There is always a chance you can brick your Wii, but the chances are very slim. Just as slim as a Wii system update in fact. It would be most handy to have an extra SD card laying around to backup your Wii's flash, if possible, so that if a brick did happen, you could possibly repair it (depends on if you can install BootMii as boot2 or not, which depends on how new your Wii is). With that being said, every system modification comes with the potential of bricking your system. Any particular method I mentioned does not have a more likelyhood of bricking your system than the other. In fact every method requires the same things.

In terms of which apps you need to get this to work: hackmii installer, dop-ios (or dop-ios-mod), an internet connection set up on the Wii and available, wad manager, neogamma/usbloadergx forwarder/channel to install through wad manager, possibly where the forwarder is forwarding to and that's it. It'll take you 30 - 45 minutes total, which includes getting the materials.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
The SD card would need to be formatted to WBFS format (google for WBFS Manager). With regards to the loader channel. I have recently installed Neogamma Beta8 Rev15 channel and can confirm that it loads from SD using cIOS rev14. Best off buying a large HDD than using SDHC

xbox720

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its easy to do it.

1: format your SD card to 2 partition using "WINPM" software. (partition1 FAT32. partition2 WBFS)
2: install games to SD Card WBFS partition (you may need "cfadisk" driver to see partition2 on Windows XP)
3: use "Loadstructor-1.7+cLoader-1.6" to create CHANNEL to launch games on SD card. (install WAD channels)

thats all.

kingkonghong

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to xbox720, could I install the channels with a 2g sd card then replace the 2g with a 16g sd card solely compromised of games?

In otherwords, is the partitioning necessary if you have 2 different sd cards? (One to install and one to play the games)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: All our girls are tested and cleaned. Crap we mixed up results