Is it possible to remove demos's play counter?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by zekro94, Jan 9, 2015.

1. zekro94
    OP

zekro94 Member

Newcomer
    May 5, 2013
    As the tittle says, I'm curious to see if you can actually remove the limiter since demos are downloaded onto the SD card.(I know that maybe not since the limiter might be an internal feature of the 3ds, thus require nand modifications, hope someone proves wrong) I mean looking at the special demos for smash bros and ORAS they don't have the limiter.I know it's kinda useless to have demos but the thing is, it's not the demos, it's the ability to play them without limit like in psvita and other consoles, it's more about the dick move that nintendo did

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Was it really a dick move? Demos, as opposed to just trailers, have been show to reduce sales and they probably do want to counteract that.

As for the matter at hand... actually I am not sure if the old format everything trick still works. For the proper stuff then yeah you will want a 4.5 3ds, though I am not sure what people have done there at this point as far as having unlimited demos (not so useful when there are full games you can just as easily be playing and most limited demos are not separate stories or something).

3. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    for most games, 30 demo tries should really be all you need, but whatever. There is no way other than maybe a proper hacked 3DS (in which case you could also just download the full game to try) or a full reformat (not sure about this one).

4. zekro94
    OP

zekro94 Member

Newcomer
    May 5, 2013
    Full reformat doesn't reset the counter, it's not about having free games, it's more about a restriction yhat shouldn't have been there

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Why shouldn't the restriction have been there?

penguin673 and gamesquest1 like this.
  6. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng A not so serious guy tbh... ;D

Aug 15, 2012
    New Caledonia
    Inside your miiind, and poof.
    Tbh, I get bored from playing a demo for more than 5 times. I don't see how you will enjoy playing the same 10 minutes or so gameplay for an unlimited number of times.

7. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Only way to to this is hacking the ROM. There's a flag in exheader for this.

8. Bug_Checker_

Bug_Checker_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2006
    United States
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Source:
    http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Title_list

Source:
    http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Home_Menu

Source:
    http://3dbrew.org/wiki/EShop_Demos

Source:
    http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Ticket

9. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    the number of times you have played a demo is stored in a system save file.
    yes, you can edit the ticket of the demo, and you can change the play count (i changed something to 1 aha, or make it unlimited)
    BUT - that is not the question.
    yes, it would be possible to remove the playcount history, it is stored in nand.
    i personally cannot delete files in nand, but i could overwrite it, i was going to test with it in a few days, i have been busy recently with region changing though :)

i tried added limits to normal apps/game (non demos), but nothing happened.
    when i release the update to FunkyCIA, it will remove the limits from Demos (and the set the purchased pieces for each DLC you have to 'all')

--But if I make it, you will need to be on 4.X to run the file. (until we can get code running on 9.x with gateway's new exploit, it might be a while though)

10. flarn2006

flarn2006 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2014
    United States
    If you have a hacked 3DS, you might as well just download the full game to try. You can still buy the game if you like it to support the developers.

11. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    sure, but not every game has been dumped