Hardware Is it possible to connect to the internet via Bluetooth thethering?

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm out of town with limited internet. I want to connect to my phone but I don't have a hotspot subscription. In my phone's "tethering" options, there was something called "Bluetooth tethering" I googled it and learned you can connect to a phone's interner from a computer. Is there a way to use this feature on the switch?

Nerdtendo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think sharing your mobile data connection via Bluetooth is supported, but have a look around for a "Portable WiFi hotspot" option on your phone. You should be able to set up a network with whatever name and password you want. You should be able to connect to that with your switch as if it was just a normal WiFi network.
That costs money

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need any subscription as long as you have mobile data to use 3G\4G...

Creating a hotspot on the phone is free...

On my Sony Xperia Z2 is settings > more > connections and portable hotspot. Check on the internet if ur phone support it and where is the option on your Android...

Last edited by guily6669,

Nerdtendo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need any subscription as long as you have mobile data to use 3G\4G...

Creating a hotspot on the phone is free...

On my Sony Xperia Z2 is settings > more > connections and portable hotspot. Check on the internet if ur phone support I and where is the option on your Android...

This is what happens

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180615-174519.png
    Screenshot_20180615-174519.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 471

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure that option is in the "more" tab?

Neither my Sony Xperia Z2 or my Nvidia Shield tablet ask me anything like that in fact my tablet doesn't even have Sim card support and still allow me to share internet...

Nerdtendo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure that option is in the "more" tab?

Neither my Sony Xperia Z2 or my Nvidia Shield tablet ask me anything like that in fact my tablet doesn't even have Sim card support and still allow me to share internet...
The option is in settings>hotspot and tethering

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firstly, many of you people fail to realize some phones are locked down and don't allow you to tether without an additional fee on your plan. The other thing is not everyone is willing to flash their phone with a custom rom and lose warranty just for that one feature.

Along with that, OP, your Bluetooth hotspot would likely also be locked down in a similar fashion.
And even if it wasn't, the switch does not support connecting to a Bluetooth DUN network, so it work work anyway.

Nerdtendo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firstly, many of you people fail to realize some phones are locked down and don't allow you to tether without an additional fee on your plan. The other thing is not everyone is willing to flash their phone with a custom rom and lose warranty just for that one feature.

Along with that, OP, your Bluetooth hotspot would likely also be locked down in a similar fashion.
And even if it wasn't, the switch does not support connecting to a Bluetooth DUN network, so it work work anyway.
That's the answer I was looking for. Thank you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro