Gaming Is it possible to check a boot1 version before purchase?

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My wife and I are looking into another Wii. Of course, we want to hack it. (Ultimately, I'm putting another WODE in.) What I'd like to know is if there is any way to tell what Wiis will allow BootMii as Boot2 installation before purchase. Is there something to look for in the serial number? Any other tricks? I'm thinking new OR used, so asking the guy at GameStop if I can look at a console's stickers is not above me. I'll just tell I'm looking for a certain serial code to say what kind of drive is in it, since I'm picky on drive quality. ^_^ Lol.

So, yeah, any help?

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you can use the serial number: http://www.wiihacks....umber-list.html

Excellent. Thank you! I was hoping it would be that easy. ^_^

EDIT: I just noticed that my Wii's serial number isn't in that list. It starts with LU30103. I know mine installed with Boot2 though, so is there more to those ranges I'm not seeing? Maybe its just a number that hasn't popped up? I bought my Wii on the Black Friday after release.

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you can use the serial number: http://www.wiihacks....umber-list.html

Excellent. Thank you! I was hoping it would be that easy. ^_^

EDIT: I just noticed that my Wii's serial number isn't in that list. It starts with LU30103. I know mine installed with Boot2 though, so is there more to those ranges I'm not seeing? Maybe its just a number that hasn't popped up? I bought my Wii on the Black Friday after release.

whoever wiihacks copied that list from didn't complete it ;)

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Boot1 version doesn't matter, and mid-2009 is when the new boot2 started shipping.
Your wrong i'm afraid - its the version of boot1 thats important:-
http://hackmii.com/2008/06/boot1/
http://hackmii.com/2...-the-beginning/
http://hackmii.com/2...-the-new-boot1/
If you dont have a vulnerable boot1 you cant install BootMii into boot2

I did know that already, which lead to my question. Its just easier to ask about boot2 compatibility without confusing people with the boot0>boot1>boot2 process. Great reads regardless of my current knowledge. ^_^ Wish me luck on a Wii hunt!

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i'd guess they generally dont 'like' the whole hacking thing and stuff. personally, i'd rather not sell to someone who's obviously just out to hack that thing

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
obviously thats a game with no losses as he wont but them either way.

now selling that thing to some oblivious father instead, that might lead to another game or two being sold

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand your logic, however I won't comment any further so some mod doesn't come in and delete a bunch of replies for being offtopic

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
obviously thats a game with no losses as he wont but them either way.

now selling that thing to some oblivious father instead, that might lead to another game or two being sold

Well, considering that I'm not some oblivious father, but a rather knowledgable one, I think things will be alright.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    dune 2 popcorn bucket
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Many schools use some form of firewall or protection, to prevent certain types of content from being viewable.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, And that haha
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school blocks stuff but allows some stuff, its annoying, they legit can see our screens if they want
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Nah. That popcorns got sand in it :(
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There was a time where we were able to bypass the school's network using a VPN that wasn't blocked on the radar. Can't exactly remember the name, but I was able to watch YouTube.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I used to go on proxy sites but I'm too lazy and it isn't worth it
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security