Hacking Is it possible to avoid data installation for HAN backups?

krueger96

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, i have a ps3 super slim on 4.82 OFW, i installed han and backed up some of my game discs and installed them on the console for convenience. Everything works fine, but some games need to be installed TWICE because the console thinks they're running off the disc drive. For example, both marvel vs capcom 3 and silent hill downpour install all the data from their discs, so if you back them up and install them they end up taking twice the space they normally need. My question is, is there some way to bypass the installation screen on these games on ofw? something similiar to multiman's shadow copy? I know han has a limited file manager in which you can manually delete files, is it possible to do something with it?

EDIT: I thought about it and realised i could make a couple of tests with some games. I installed the game data for 2 games: dark sector and silent hill downpour. I used these two specifically because they're not huge in size and install ALL the data from their discs. After installing, i deleted the game files from the NPEB (NPUB if you're in the US) folder, which is the folder of your disc converted game, NOT the update (that would be either BLES, BLUS, ecc.)
I kept the licence files in there of course, as well as a couple other small files just to be sure. Basically, i deleted almost the whole games, including the engine, cutscene and sound folder. With Dark Sector, the game booted up but froze before reaching the main menu, so no luck there. Silent Hill: Downpour on the other hand worked flawlessly, i started a new game and everything was there, no freezes. I need to do further tests with a couple of other games, (the previously mentioned Ultimate Marvel VS. Capcom 3 for example) but it looks like it might work with some games.

EDIT 2: I don't know if someone can find this useful or not, but i also checked UMVC 3 with the same method, this one just freezes without showing any logo.
That's it, i don't have much space in my ps3 hard drive so i'm not backing up anymore games, but this is very useful because it basically means you just keep the install data and almost nothing else. For instance SH downpour now has the game data installed, and the backup .pkg which initially was 4,19 GB is reduced to a 30 mb file, so you get little to no wasted space (you would need to install the game data even if you were using your OG disc) and the advantage of not having to actually put the disc in your console. It may look complicated, but it is relatively easy if you check the files carefully before you delete them.

Last edited by krueger96,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...