Gaming Is it able to play Japanese game in English ?

Takatwelved03

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Hello guys.
As the title, there is many game in japanese which i really want to play but i didnt understand a single word. So is that able to play in English ? Convert the rom or something ?
Such as Doraemon series for DS, i have tried to find English but up till now there is nothing.
Thank you for helping me.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello guys.
As the title, there is many game in japanese which i really want to play but i didnt understand a single word. So is that able to play in English ? Convert the rom or something ?
Such as Doraemon series for DS, i have tried to find English but up till now there is nothing.
Thank you for helping me.

Hello.:)

Welcome to the DS(i) Section of GBAtemp.:)

You can play Japanese Games with English Text if there are already translated Versions and/or Patches for it available.:)
You can also search for your favorite Game with the Terms "translated" and/or "english patched".

You can also post your "needed" Title(s) here please and maybe some Users here knows,if it is already translated.:)

With Programming Knowledge and such Things you an also try to translate it for yourself,sure.But please Note,that is a lot of Work to do.

Good luck
Thank you.:)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
alexander1970 started to cover things.

As with most things the answer is "it depends".

There are those people that will take games, typically in Japanese, and translate them to whatever they like. The process goes by a few names but ROM hacking or translation hacking are the main ones in English, though some will use the phrase fan translations.

For DS games specifically then you are probably on one of the main general purpose sites for such things, and for that matter it is probably also one of the main locations for GBA, Wii, Wii U, 3ds, Switch, and maybe gamecube.
https://gbatemp.net/forums/nds-rom-hacking-and-translations.41/ is the section in question for DS games. For Doraemon specifically I doubt you will find much. This is as games of properties known primarily for their anime don't tend to get translated, mostly as they are usually not very good and nobody wants to spend the hundreds of hours translating, and possibly fixing, bad anime games when there are all sorts of nice RPGs, puzzle games and whatever else that are still unplayable. If this is wrong though and the game is actually very fun (it happens from time to time) please do tell us why it is a good game and someone might take a look.

For older consoles http://www.romhacking.net/ is considered the main hub for the ROM hacking world, and houses a serious library of translations.
There are other places out there, typically similar sites to this, and there are certain franchises (mario, mario kart, final fantasy, fire emblem, pokemon, advance wars and a few others to name but a few) that will also have extensively hacked games, which also means translated.

Bonus is if you are from Vietnam/speak primarily Vietnamese I have seen a few translations come out of there (if it is the only way games come in and you have some reasonable IT education, which Vietnam very much does https://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/22/vietnam_kids_google_interview_pass/ , then you tend to see a fair few translations -- nobody releases games in China so there are usually hundreds of translations for various systems, often made before the game makes it from Japan to North America).
Afraid I don't have any good sites to link where discussion happens (if you find some please share as I like to keep on top of these things). However
http://www.romhacking.net/?page=tra...=20&order=&dir=&title=&author=&transsearch=Go
Should be a list of a few translations there. If you search for the authors, go on the links in the readmes and whatever else you might find more. For instance https://nanivn.wordpress.com/ has not been updated in a few years but is a hacker that does translations to Vietnamese, and has some descriptions of file formats as well.

If a translation exists then they are usually not very hard to use. Most of the time you will need the ROM, the patch and the program to apply the patch, and obviously something to run it on after that. Patches tend to come with readmes though so go with that.
You might find prepatched versions out there in the world. Don't use them -- they might be patched badly, they might be an old patch, someone might have broken something, they might not have all the options and so on. They cause lots of trouble for ROM hackers as they go to try to help someone run the patched game and find all the issues were ones they sorted long ago, or would not have happened if someone patched it properly.

Takatwelved03

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Thank you so much for your reply and all the information that you gave. I guess i have the answer for my question. Im have been looking for Doraemon eng patch or translation but there was no sign at all.
Doraemon is one of a part of my childhood so that is a reason why i want to play Doreamon so hard. I also tried to search Doraemon on gbatemp and romhacking but no Eng patch nor translated rom as well. So i think im gonna keep going with the original version.

And yes, Vietnamese is my primary language. There is a few game has been translated in to Vietnamese but i found no excited of them. About IT things, i do have some research of them and i used to learn. It doesnt fit to me so i quited. I still can do some simple thing but rom stuff like this, ofcourse not. Lol

So once a again, thank you for the answer!

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
According to what I'm seeing on Romhacking.net, it does look like some Doraemon games are translated, if you're willing to look on systems other than the Nintendo DS. So you're not out of luck entirely! :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-