Homebrew Is DS Emulation scene dead?

matejdro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
I was searching for best NES/SNES/Genesis/GB/GBC emulators for DS and found that pretty much all are "abandoned" since 2007-2008.

Is emulation scene for DS dead or are there any active emulators?

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Every once in a while a small update may show up, but as you've said none of them have been very active for a while now.

There is hope that, once the DSTWO is released, it could breath some new life into the emulation scene (in addition to coming with built-in GBA and SNES emulation, itself). With that extra power, it would give homebrew developers something more to play around with.

matejdro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
You think so? I haven't found any emulator that specially uses iPlayer advanced hardware. And i doubt developers would buy new card and make software just for one card.

Anyway, i hope you are rigth.

Bo Abobo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
matejdro said:
You think so? I haven't found any emulator that specially uses iPlayer advanced hardware. And i doubt developers would buy new card and make software just for one card.

I think the iplayer has a gba emulator that uses that extra hardware power it has. Not sure about compatibility or rom speed, have yet to see an update in a while.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flubba has been active lately... he just released a TG16 emulator, and a few months back a SMS/GG emulator.

Other then that, nesDS got a minor update in October and Lameboy got a big update last June.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah, most of the emulation scene has been pretty slow hasn't it? Especially the major systems.

But then again, Supercard DSTwo is going to have a dedicated GBA/SNES emulator, and if the iPlayer's GBA emu is any indication, that SNES emulator could be fantastic!

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
matejdro said:

Most wouldn't for the iPlayer, as it has limitations in that it won't play commercial NDS ROMs and not all users are going to be interested in paying $35 for a cart when they'll have to keep another around for DS ROMs.

I'm guessing that the DSTWO will be much more popular than the iPlayer, and bought by many more people. There's also the fact it has built-in GBA and SNES emulation, which already a step in the right direction.

gary2010

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i think the scds2 will give the emulation scene a jump start, there should be some homebrew apps taking advantage of the extra power the scds2 has

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
Trophies
XP
Country
matejdro said:

GBA-NDS

matejdro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
So, DSTWO is out for some time now. Are there any emulators announced or even already released for DSTWO with exception of included GBA?

EDIT: i saw that there is no SDK yet. Sorry for post. So we should continue waiting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up