Hacking Is chip decapping even beneficial at this point?

Will chip Decapping be beneficial to the community?

• Yes

Votes: 107 73.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • I don't really care.

Votes: 24 16.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I know. But was still online the last time i looked. Seems like it is officially a scam now.
Still on 3dsbrew: http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Fundraiser

I honestly dunno what the moderators on there are doing, but I'd do my best to quickly dissociate 3dsbrew from that scammer ASAP, but instead, it's still there.

Tattorack

Interstellar Explorer
Trophies
Website
tattorack.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Denmark
For Hombrew's sake? Heck yeah!
Great as playing certain roms for free is, I always enjoy seeing creativity of people that don't belong to some big company (and I could also try my own hand at Hombrew ;) )
So yeah, I think that decapping and learning more about the systems solid insides will help a lot with that ^^

lambstone

No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I've bought way more games for the 3DS (10+ titles) as compared to the DS (2 titles). Rom playback isn't a priority for me.

What I'm interested is stuff like removing the 10min video playback limit and region free.

Reactions: dot7z and Neytz

mansonss

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Duo8 Just wanted to bring it back to the topic with an update, I have been informed that my funds will be here sometime this month. I'll be going from there, seeing as I have taken on new responsibilities and have new expenses to deal with. It shouldn't be too much longer though before things happen.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Duo8 Just wanted to bring it back to the topic with an update, I have been informed that my funds will be here sometime this month. I'll be going from there, seeing as I have taken on new responsibilities and have new expenses to deal with. It shouldn't be too much longer though before things happen.

Great :) Keep us updated OK?

MisterTea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi, just throwing some ideas :

Make a lab do the decap and of course, make microscope pictures of all the layers
Share the pictures here / Make a team to reverse engineer ZONES of the chipset.

The thing is, doing it alone will take a loooong time but if you have a team working on different zones of the chipset, it will be just perfect.

Also, if you opt for this idea, it will be a pleasure to be part of this and contribute to the 3DS scene.

Decapping will always be useful.
It only needs work.

mansonss

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not if done by a professional lab.

Inb4 ruining the chip and starting all over :D

Yeah this will definitely be done by a professional lab.

Hi, just throwing some ideas :

Make a lab do the decap and of course, make microscope pictures of all the layers
Share the pictures here / Make a team to reverse engineer ZONES of the chipset.

The thing is, doing it alone will take a loooong time but if you have a team working on different zones of the chipset, it will be just perfect.

Also, if you opt for this idea, it will be a pleasure to be part of this and contribute to the 3DS scene.

Decapping will always be useful.
It only needs work.

Being totally honest here, my skills in reverse engineering go as far as sandwich making. xD I had planned on having the chip processed at a lab, and the scans either released into the wild, or maybe contact some of the big-shot 3ds hackers and see if they would like to do anything with them. Or perhaps if a team contacts me interested on working on it, I will give them a copy. But other than that, I'm not sure what comes after receiving the scans.

MisterTea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The best thing would be to make a team of people dedicated to analyze a layer zone by zone.
Maybe an other team to check the first analyze to see if there is no error.

Also the current 3DS developpers won't be able to analyze the whole SOC all by themselves.

You need to get the chip professionally mapped or to make a team as I said earlier.

Again, I really like this type of project and I would love to help reverse engineer all the gates etc...

To conclude, reverse engineering of decaped chips, is visual work.
You don't really need knowledges about code/hardware to map the gates.

MisterTea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can post pictures of a 3DS on the net without legal issues.

You can post pictures of a 3DS motherboard on the without legal issues.

Why wouldn't you able to post 3DS SOC pictures without legal issues.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can post pictures of a 3DS on the net without legal issues.

You can post pictures of a 3DS motherboard on the without legal issues.

You can pee in your home without legal issues.

You can pee in the ocean without legal issues.

Why wouldn't you be able to pee on the field during the Sochi Olympics without legal issues?

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

There aren't legal issues, don't know where people got that from. There is absolutely nothing illegal about deconstructing a piece of hardware you own, not matter how deep you go. Merely releasing images is fine.

Reactions: Metoroid0

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply...