Is bittorrent-launcher likely?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by sonicsleep, Jun 25, 2015.

1. sonicsleep
    OP

sonicsleep Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2009
    I feel this is one of the most important homebrew things that could be developed for the 3DS.

In the sense of backups, you would no longer need a big SD card. And with the new 3ds' external storage now effectively "internal", it seems like this makes a lot of sense.

Instead of backing up all your gameboy, gameboy colour, gameboy advance, genesis, nes, snes, ds and 3ds games to your 1 SD card... You could retrieve them via bittorrent when you want to play them. You could access them through a glorious custom menu, with a search box.

Besides the 3DS games, most games would be finished downloading in less than a 1 minute. It could be a totally seamless experience. If you kept your games over the network and not over the internet, then even 3DS games would load super quickly.

There's a lot of potential... But do you think it will actually happen? I was surprised no one made a bittorrent api homebrew for the Wii, because similar goodness could have been done there.

2. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Do those kind of retro games really take up that much sd memory? :blink: I mean a couple of gigs would get you hundreds of games, the entire NES NA library is 200MBs iirc.

And it wouldn't be portable as you would need wifi -- certainly an issue with a portable system. Slow launching is another issue, I don't want to wait a minute to play Galaga.

3. DJPlayer

DJPlayer Banned

Banned
    May 21, 2015
    Netherlands
    Useless and won't work without Internet...
    I've a 64GB SD-Card. that's more than enough

zoogie likes this.
  4. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    We call it FTP, and there are a few already made.

5. TVL

TVL #|

Feb 17, 2004
    World -1
    There are FTP for both Wii and 3DS. Temp store 512kB Pokemon Red on the SD and delete after playing. :D

6. sonicsleep
    OP

sonicsleep Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2009
    okay I know that the launcher for games like that wouldn't be used by everyone.

But bittorrent itself is a pretty useful protocol. Is an api likely to be developed or overlooked again?

7. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    I think OP wants bittorrent though. More sexy and piratey. :P
    He wants the thrill of pirating on every play session lol.
    I don't think anyone's going to waste a minute coding this tbo. I know you're passionate about it, just being realistic though.

8. Coto

Coto GBAtemp Addict

Jun 4, 2010
    Chile
    lol but what if your computer has no seeds? you would have to use your cartridges

9. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    not overlooked, but ignored :)
    maybe you think this is a good idea, but i think it is not.
    1 minute to download a 3ds game? hundreds of people are constantly going to be seeding all the time? (why?)
    why not use your computer for downloading, and the 3ds for playing?

although, having an http file downloaded that saves to the sd card could be useful in some cases.

10. julialy

julialy Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    I have an idea:

a 3ds bittorrent client that can search, download, and install your games for you... with the usual sites' APIs
    that would be pretty amazing.. like popcorn.

RodrigoDavy likes this.
  11. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States

Not sure where you're pulling your NES sets from, but a complete, uncompressed NES set is quite a bit larger than that. Even simply zipping the roms cuts down the size pretty significantly though...

12. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    pretty much pointless, i doubt anyone would really have the desire to make a slow network solution when you could just grab a spare SD not to mention if your taling about cia files you would have some long ass waits to actually play a game, yeah nes/GB VC maybe, but there is really no excuse for those, they hardly take up HUGE amounts of space and im sure you could limit your collection to games you might actually play, but for bigger files like full retail games your looking at atlast a good 40mins to an hour to download something like pokemon and install the cia file, only to delete it and download it again next time....and we thought CD loading time solutions where bad