Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyGennaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Gamecube Launcher or function added to a backup launcher....is anybody actually actively working on this now because honestly all I've seen it discussions ABOUT how people would like it to happen and not one topic have I seen with somebody who actually knows what they are doing who IS working on a launcher that can do that so that is what this topic will be about...is there anybody out there who works on the launchers or any special homebrew that is actively working on this...?? That's the topic...thanks.

digitydogs

404 Error: Member Not Found
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Waninkoko and wiigator have both looked into it. Last i heard no one was bothering with it anymore, however ppc_gba may be doing so.... If anyone is to get it working i expect it will have to be waninkoko as hes the only one with the knowledge to do so not opposed to backups. (he is the one who wrote the dvd dip used by ALL backup loaders)

JoeyGennaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No offense, but 70 views and only 1 reply is NOT GOOD PEOPLE!! So what is up with the other developers being "against backups" that's pretty silly considering more than half the people on this board want a gamecube backup loader if not even only for the purpose of seeing if it CAN be done. What is the point of abandoning this project? And if waninoko really is working on it how come we haven't heard anything from him in ages...ever since the gamma loader came out, it seems.

So I'm calling out all developers or people that are working on new loaders and homebrew to see if you can get this done, please DON'T abandon this..this would be HUGE news once it was done - there are obviously a lot of people out there with some good experience with the Wii, unfortunately I'm not one of them....but please work on this!!

Rykin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
JoeyGennaro said:
No offense, but 70 views and only 1 reply is NOT GOOD PEOPLE!! So what is up with the other developers being "against backups" that's pretty silly considering more than half the people on this board want a gamecube backup loader if not even only for the purpose of seeing if it CAN be done. What is the point of abandoning this project? And if waninoko really is working on it how come we haven't heard anything from him in ages...ever since the gamma loader came out, it seems.

So I'm calling out all developers or people that are working on new loaders and homebrew to see if you can get this done, please DON'T abandon this..this would be HUGE news once it was done - there are obviously a lot of people out there with some good experience with the Wii, unfortunately I'm not one of them....but please work on this!!
70 views and 1 reply is because they were curious what the topic was about. Your topic title explains nothing.

That and everyone else is tired of seeing this same question again.

If you want Gamecube backups and are too impatient to wait- install a chip.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
JoeyGennaro said:
No offense, but 70 views and only 1 reply is NOT GOOD PEOPLE!!

Chill out dude it hasn't even been a day! Also your topic title is way vague.

QUOTE(JoeyGennaro @ Jan 20 2009, 07:28 PM) So what is up with the other developers being "against backups" that's pretty silly considering more than half the people on this board want a gamecube backup loader if not even only for the purpose of seeing if it CAN be done. What is the point of abandoning this project? And if waninoko really is working on it how come we haven't heard anything from him in ages...ever since the gamma loader came out, it seems.
More than half the people on this board, sure. How many people on this board do you think are serious wii developers, and how many spoiled kids?

You are getting few replies because no one is telling you the truth. Simply put, no one wants to make one. Everyone who wants to play gamecube backups can buy a wiikey clone for $8. Anyone with the technical skill has easier means, and would rather spend their time developing without breaking the law unnecessarily. There's a better chance of you making a gamecube loader yourself than seeing a real one this week.

JoeyGennaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate your honesty, however I do not agree with those able to do it and yet are unwilling to do it. If I had the technical information or ability to do it, I would be the first to do it, that's for sure. There really is no reason NOT to do it. And about the Modchip - everything I have done from this forum has been done with an SD card and programs. I am not hardware capable whatsoever, so taking apart my Wii and actually soldering or doing anything of the sort is completely not an option for me - and I certainly don't know of any people who offer that service, so yeah, this is my only option at this point.

But as far as Gamecube backup being the only thing I have been looking for, it isn't. I have followed every loader, program & homebrew that have come out and they all have been great so I don't follow under your list of a spoiled little kid.....a gamecube backup loader though seems to be my only option for this particular function at this point. The reason I named the topic as such was because of the many topics named similarly about this same thing, however the difference in mine is that I'm actually calling out to the developers specifically.

Commadore64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if this helps this discussion out or not but from what I gather it is something with the way the drive (rom on the drive) reads the disk and determines if it is a GC disk or a WII disk. All the hacking is when the environment is identified as a WII (System menu or the disk channel animated banner). Telling the machine to boot the GC backup will work with the chipped WII or just reboot without.
Unless they can circumvent the ROM on the dvd player (which the chip does) the drive wont recognize the disk as a GC disk and gets to the next level - boot in Wii mode.

*talking out my @ss here but:
If they can capture the environment of very the instance a wii boots into and enters into GC mode
Figure out how the WII gets into GC emulation mode and whatever prep-work needs to be done
and intercept any dvd calls that are GC specific to handle anything a true disk returns
..maybe they can. But this is not a simple task. Ultimately I'd think they'd need to access the drive at a very low level - like making the Wii do a firmware flash on it's own drive.
Drive chips handle this and tricks the WII without all of this overhead

Hardware (wiikey) resolving what software cannot

Just my own view.

*maybe when they get a really good grip on the IOS (wii) it will reveal what the MIOS (gc)is doing

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
JoeyGennaro said:
The reason I named the topic as such was because of the many topics named similarly about this same thing, however the difference in mine is that I'm actually calling out to the developers specifically.
A lot of wii devs have a very idealist view of homebrew. The wii devs with the real skill often see things through a rose colored glass and have a very idealist view of homebrew that is not to be perverted with piracy.... read up on Bushing.

Sorry that things are not the way you want. You're not going to learn to program a better soft mod if soldering six points are too tough for you. It's super easy, but if you're not willing to learn it ain't happening. I'm on your side, more loaders are needed if the soft mod demographic isn't really filled.

Also, if you're calling out to devs, you're in the wrong place. This is a board more a board for pirates rather than developers. Fire up an irc client and hop on over to #wiidev on EFnet (i think)

digitydogs

404 Error: Member Not Found
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Commadore64 said:
Not sure if this helps this discussion out or not but from what I gather it is something with the way the drive (rom on the drive) reads the disk and determines if it is a GC disk or a WII disk. All the hacking is when the environment is identified as a WII (System menu or the disk channel animated banner). Telling the machine to boot the GC backup will work with the chipped WII or just reboot without.
Unless they can circumvent the ROM on the dvd player (which the chip does) the drive wont recognize the disk as a GC disk and gets to the next level - boot in Wii mode.

*talking out my @ss here but:
If they can capture the environment of very the instance a wii boots into and enters into GC mode
Figure out how the WII gets into GC emulation mode and whatever prep-work needs to be done
and intercept any dvd calls that are GC specific to handle anything a true disk returns
..maybe they can. But this is not a simple task. Ultimately I'd think they'd need to access the drive at a very low level - like making the Wii do a firmware flash on it's own drive.
Drive chips handle this and tricks the WII without all of this overhead

Hardware (wiikey) resolving what software cannot
Just my own view.

*maybe when they get a really good grip on the IOS (wii) it will reveal what the MIOS (gc)is doing

Ok i'll say it in this thread one time... I am sooo tired of repeating myself in every 5th thread on this board.

According to Wiigator the only thing preventing the loading of game cube backups is the simple fact that the gamecube disks use different read commands than either a wii disk or a dvd disk. The MIOS has already been hacked, the needed register can already be activated in wii mode. So we just need someone to figure out a way change the dvd commands used by GC. MIOS is not the problem or answer... Also if you go to wiidev DO NOT mention backups or anything related to them or they will ban you without thought or question. now a few quotes from wiigator:

One remark to the GameCube discussion:
I sent the source code for starting GameCube games on Wii to ppc_gba. It is not possible to run the games, because the games use the wrong DVD command to read the DVD. I don't know, if he was able to get around the problems.
I patched the MIOS and there is no further patch required for MIOS, because this will not help in any way.
What you currently could do is: Accessing DVD with Homebrew software in GameCube mode. So you could watch a DVD in GameCube mode. I don't what sense this will make, because you can this already in Wii mode, but it is possible.

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
really funny thread, you know fine well there is bound to be someone that is looking, testing, and trying to work, progress on it*
So why ask?
How many times does this need to be made into a new thread....
Anyway why wait 2 years for a GCLoader? when you an either play your old GC, or buy a dam chip from 2 years back.......it goes over my head, why wait this long to want to play GCGames.....
huh.gif

And then it should be a close, and no I'm not flaming anyone, just saying how it is*

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can also just put a chip in a wii and 99% of the games works then, so no need of any loader too if we think like that.

So we could also wondering why some loaders have been released for the wii games.

I already have a GC and a lot of games on it so I don't really care if a loader is released or not, but I just try to be logic.

We could also say the GC is an old system, and so that it won't cut money from Nintendo, but the Wii loader is cutting money from Nintendo (let's be honest, 99% of the people who are using the Wii loader do that to no pay the games, same for people who put a chip in their wii).

So, if we think a bit more, we could say that in an idealist thinking, a GC loader would be better than a Wii loader in a "legal way".

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
JoeyGennaro said:
If I had the technical information or ability to do it, I would be the first to do it, that's for sure. There really is no reason NOT to do it.

WTF ?
Why are you bitching if you so determined ? Go and learn about it all yourself - the information is out there.
There really is no reason NOT to do it.
If you say u want it done , go do it yourself, everyone can learn if they put their mind to it, so stop depending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: show him fighting in ww2