Is AKAIO open source?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by cyklo, Sep 5, 2008.

Sep 5, 2008

Is AKAIO open source? by cyklo at 4:20 PM (2,313 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. cyklo
    OP

Newcomer cyklo Member

United Kingdom
    I have tried searching and ended up confused. Is the current AKAIO (1.2, or whatever it was I downloaded today) open source? I've just received my AK2 today and AKAIO kicks the official firmware's arse.

The reason I ask is that I love the ability to put a shortcut in the top level ("My DS"?) menu, but I'd find it useful to use the plural "shortcuts". Rather than whinge, I wanted to see if I could set about doing this myself (even though I know nowt about DS coding, but hey, trial by fire and all that). Is this possible?

2. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    no it isn't. the firmware is coded in c++ with some assembly for the softreset, cheat engine, ak2 patching code and a few other functions - so its not "ds" coding. it isn't open source because of the state of the aks and the korean flash kit market. you see akaio contains ak2 code, and the ak2 official firmware is not opensource. if it was released then it could easily be ported to places the ak team doesn't want it. so norm and smiths are respecting their wishes... for now.

-another world

3. cyklo
    OP

Newcomer cyklo Member

United Kingdom
    I've had a look at the SVN for the AK-RPG firmware, and all the shotcut-related functions are in that bit, not the closed source bit. But of course I wouldn't be able to compile it into anything usable on the AK2 anyway.

Never mind then. Suppose this is just another possible feature suggestion for the long, distant future...

4. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    There was some talk about making the loaders entirely external to the menu. It already supports external loaders for the AK2, but it also has an internal loader for each supported cart. If the loaders were all made external, you might be able to compile the menu without having source code for the loaders.

-Bri

5. cyklo
    OP

Newcomer cyklo Member

United Kingdom
    It seems I found my own little workaround thanks to other AKAIO features. I now have two folders, "archive" and "favourites", and move files between the two using cut so I don't get long scaning times with regularly used files.