Is a Class 2 8gb Micro SD Card Good?

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by Nottulys, Nov 6, 2008.

Nov 6, 2008
  1. Nottulys
    OP

Member Nottulys GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I want to upgrade my memory on it, but I dont know what type or class it has to be.....any help?

2. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    Class 2 will give you lots of slowdowns. Class 4/6 is better.

3. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    class doesn't really matter.
    i have class2 sandisk 4GB, and the only game to ever give slowdowns for me was avalon code, which had some minor glitches in the intro movie.
    other games, even ones with KNOWN speed issues(like twewy) ran fine.

from what i heard the class only tells about the minimum write speed you should expect.

4. powerpuff

Newcomer powerpuff Advanced Member

United States
    Sandisk cards, in general, are middle-to-upper. Kingston Japan are faster. Everyone else is sort of a crapshoot.

If I were forced to generalize, I might say that larger cards are in general slower. But only if forced to generalize, since experiences vary widely.

Also be aware that some M3's seem especially sensitive to slow media, and some don't.

5. AXYPB

Member AXYPB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Actually, I have Class-6 4GB cards in SD and MicroSD form factors and they are both faster than any smaller card I've used.

6. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    Yay Ive got a sandisk microSDHC 4gb class 2 and its fine, and powerpuff kingston is a brand I dont really trust anymore. My friend bought a 2gb kingston japan from a proper retail store and it turned out to be a 1gb!

7. hawkz02

Newcomer hawkz02 Advanced Member

Singapore

Hi just wondering your friend format the 2gb using what?? Cause if u use a device that only support a 1gb and u give it a 2gb the device will auto format it to a 1gb even u feed it a 4gb.....

8. tguellich

Newcomer tguellich Advanced Member

United States
    In my opinion, all the cards I have used follow some simple rules:

1-The larger the card, the slower it works.
    2-The higher the class, the faster it works.
    3-Not all cards are created equal. Each brand is different.

I have tried many brands and the absolute best in my opinion are A-data (and cheap too!) I recommend an A-data, Class 6, 4 or 8 Gb. They run like lightning. I tried to save a $1 and bought some PQI's before, they suck, even though they claim Class 6.

9. spark001uk

Newcomer spark001uk Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hi,

Just got an M3 Real, and currently using a bog standard Sandisk 2gb in it. So, what's the deal with 8gb? I'm lookinjg around and currently i can get an ordinary class 2 Sandisk for around 10 - 12GBP, or the Ultra class 6 for around 22GBP. My question is, is it worth almost double the money, or is there a good chance the class 2 will suffice? It seems most people here are finding it ok?

Thanks
    Mark

10. Cheater388

Newcomer Cheater388 Advanced Member

United States
    I got a Sandisk 8GB Class 4 and I've had no slowdowns since. There's really not a problem with cards class 4 and above.

Oh, and make sure to format your card with the SD card formatter! It might actually transfer faster!

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=1530

11. spark001uk

United Kingdom
    Well, all i can find is either class 2 or class 6, and the price difference is near on double! Now, bearing in mind as someone else said that the class refers mainly to write speed, and it seems some people aren't having any trouble with read speed, is it worth paying double???

12. AXYPB

Member AXYPB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    That depends on what you plan on doing with it. Most games and programs won't give you any problems with Class-2 cards, but specific games such as Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin or The World Ends With You are known to crash with slow cards. Using a fast card like a Class-6 SDHC card is a future-proof solution; getting one is a good way to ensure you never encounter such problems. If you don't plan on playing any games known to have problems with slow cards any time soon, you can always upgrade if the time does come. Otherwise, it probably isn't worth it to you to pay double just to play a few problem games.

13. spark001uk

United Kingdom
    Ok done a bit more research, and here's my choice, need a little help deciding! (prices inc vat/p+p)

4gb - Class 2 = £6.50 , Class 6 = £12.00

8gb - Class 2 = £14.10 , Class 6 = £21.00

Which should i go for! I have heard the 8gb can be a little slower at reading than a smaller one, which may or may not affect me, but i'm trying to weigh up everything along with these prices??

14. naveedy

Member naveedy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i use a class 2 8gb and i cant tell a difference.