iPhone 3G Battery Nightmare

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by sonknuck23, Jan 22, 2011.

Jan 22, 2011
  1. sonknuck23
    OP

Member sonknuck23 Mighty Switch Force >

Canada
    So I got an iPhone 3G from eBay, and to my surprise, the battery lasted all day. Literally, all day. It'd hit 20% at about. . . 9pm, and I took it off the dock at around 5:50am. (work.)

So, I did some tethering the other day (which I've done before, no biggy, 'cause our internet is cut.)

Ever since that day, my phone after a full night of charging. . I took it off the dock around 7am, and it's now 10am and it's already at like, 45%.

What's going on? Did tethering ultimately fuck up my battery? Or maybe something in the background is going on that I don't know about which is secretly murdering my phone battery. . ?

iPhone is 3G, 16gig, 3.1.2, Jailbroken & unlocked.

2. metamaster

Member metamaster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Once any electronic device is fully charged, you're supposed to stop, otherwise the battery deteriorates. I doubt that this is the cause here, since you only left it for one night...

3. aaniil

Newcomer aaniil Member

United States
    I had the same problem with my old ipod touch.
    I'm guessing, well i put it to this anyway, but jailbreaking your ipod/iphone makes the phone run several more processes than what it does on OFW in the background, hence it drains the battery quicker, as it's working harder. It also made my ipod overheat loads aswell. I guess the best fix is putting it back on OFW.

4. sonknuck23
    OP

Canada
    But it was jailbroken the day I got it 'cause I needed to unlock it, and it'd still last all day. . .

5. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Uhmm... this is true but not so much nowadays. iPods etc. know when their battery is fully charged and switch off the charging circuit (battery charging symbol will change to a powered by mains symbol) to avoid this happening. I tend to leave my iPod on charge all night then take it off for use during the day (since my dock is an alarm clock dock it makes sense to do this)

6. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    In Cydia, change settings to view at least "developer" filters and install "top" and MobileTerminal. Open the terminal and type the top command to see what's taking up all of your CPU (double-tap to hide the keyboard to see more processes). If nothing, then perhaps the battery is borked.

My 3GS randomly started having battery issues after months of working fine. Had to do a full restore without a backup to fix it (restoring from backup replicated the problem). Still brought it in to the Apple store to get a replacement anyway because why not, with a 1 year warranty.

Oh and don't forget to close top (swipe up-right diagonally) and exit MobileTerminal (tap to bring up menu and hit Exit). Alternative to MobileTerminal is to SSH in via wifi with PuTTY to run the top command, either way works fine.

7. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    You need to give him more instruction.

Go to CYDIA>MANAGE>SETTINGS>DEVELOPER> then Search>Top>Install>Return to Cydia>Search>MobileTerminal>Install>Return to Cydia>Exit Cydia then follow DanTheManMS's instruction. [​IMG]

8. sonknuck23
    OP

Canada
    and. . when I see these processes, what exactly am I looking for? [​IMG] I'm a little confused, haha. . .

9. Hedgehogofchaos

Member Hedgehogofchaos GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I know that push notifications butchers my iPhone 4s battery life. Turn that off if it's on.

10. sonknuck23
    OP

Canada
    Nothing has been changed that I am aware of since it transitioned from lasting all day to dying every 6 hours.

the only push notifications I have on is it updates my e-mails every hour. and I usually don't get much, lmao.

11. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Unusually high CPU usage, that's all. As in, if you've got nothing backgrounded, total CPU usage should be close to zero. You might have mediaserve or Springboard using up a few CPU percentage points, but there should be nothing over 10.