iOS Users Starting To Overtake Android User For Game Piracy

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Cartmanuk, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Cartmanuk
    OP

Member Cartmanuk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]
    Chris Pruett Developer Of Wind-Up Knight Speaks Out On Twitter About Rate Of iOS And Android Piracy
    speaking out about the problem of piracy on mobile devices.​
    Saying that his experience is that his games were actually pirated more on iOS and still continue to be pirated more on Apple’s platform​

2. nukeboy95

Member nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

United States
    nerver gonna beat pc or nds piracy

3. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    I laugh how iOS users have to risk and jailbreak their phones while Android users just need to download a cracked .apk.

6 people like this.
  4. retrodoctor

Banned retrodoctor Banned

United States
    Yeah, it's hilarious at how easy it is to rip off the three good Android developers.

5. Cartmanuk
    OP

Member Cartmanuk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Some twitter quotes

3 people like this.
  6. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Might seem simpler, but too many release groups put out poorly-cracked apps that obviously were not tested, and then you have to deal with the device compatibility issues.

7. Rizsparky

Member Rizsparky Saiyan Prince

United Kingdom
    Thats a good point, but usually the .apk's are labelled with the approriate resolution or the device name it was ripped from so its easy to filter out which apps are compatible.

8. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    this. Its really not an issue at all. Someone can buy an app, back it up and upload it online. If it's needs patching, theres an app that patches nearly everything for you.
    "crack teams" dont really need to do anything anymore and are just spreading their name.
    Android is easy to pirate.

9. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    ios? Soon we'll have to call it iou!

3 people like this.
  10. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    if it were more realistic, like 0.10 cents per app like MOST are worth, then i may just buy it for ease. until there is an app which costs money AND has practical uses/works properly then i may purchase it.

just saying there is a lot of "paid apps" that are terrible and a lot of awesome apps that are free (or with ads). there is a reason things are pirated and most of the time its not just from being poor.

11. Izen

Member Izen GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Jailbreaking isn't really a risk at all. If you manage to mess up, no matter how horribly, you can always restore to official firmware because that's how iDevices operate (and there will be no remnants of the jailbreak, either). Unless you, like, go at it with a hammer. Then you probably won't be able to restore.

12. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    you can brick by jailbreaking

but anyway, there was small talk of removing the install unsigned packages from future android versions after numerous complaint from app developers, I dont really see it happening

13. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    I don't think developers would play nicely with that. There are too many different android app shops. Too many open source things you can get that simply can't go on a store. Oh yes, you'd lose the ability to run apps you yourself make without putting them on the shop.

1 person likes this.
  14. aireca

Member aireca GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i wonder what will happen with ouya :ha: , nah, i know what will happen

15. gifi4

Member gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Australia
    Droid users have the same problem, in a way. If you don't be careful with what permissions you allow certain apps to use when installing an apk then shit can go down xD

16. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    I no rite xDDDDDDDDDDD
    In a serious way, I have never encountered such a cracked .apk.

1 person likes this.
  17. gifi4

Member gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Australia
    I ended up getting an apk that had a permission to do with networks and it kept shutting the network down (Couldn't send messages or make calls) uninstalling it didn't fix it so I had to factory reset the phone...

18. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    there seems to be many reasons why
    from what i have noticed.

releasing free versions of the same paid apps with google ads really isnt a big distraction for many ppl. they need to do it more often.
    to get cracked ipa files is definitely easier than cracked apk files
    there are so many users for ios over android hence more hackers and more pirates.

probably these are not the reasons but they seem very likely

19. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    I hate the fact that most apps released today have inapp purchases and advertised as "free" when they are clearly not, these apps that advertised as "free" cost people up to £100s of pounds just to buy virtual money or clothes, that is more than a console game double over, these infested apps are bombarding the android market and should be banned/removed you can't tell if the game you are downloading is a inapp game because the developer bribes people to give them 5 stars so to make him look good and mord people will download thier junk uknowingly its a neverending cycle snd i think thats why people pirate, i don't mind ads in games but when they are intrusive it gets annoying.

20. retrodoctor

Banned retrodoctor Banned

United States
    Android users that pirate do so because they either have no moral compass, they can't afford it, or "just because they can." The reason why so many iOS developers either choose a freemium process is because the Android app market or whatever it's called has a higher rater of piracy than it does for actual purchases for virtually every single title in the store. It' sad, to be honest, but if you're a developer and expect to make any kind of money on Android, your best bet is to do so with ads. However, people will surely remove those and move on.