Apple iOS 5 Jailbreak query

Odnetnin46

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I looked through the guide a bit, and can not find a straight yes or no.
As short as I can be, is there an untethered jailbreaking utility for an iPhone 3GS(or rather, any non-4S/iPad 2)? Preferably a Greenpois0n-esque application.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
yes there is.
I used the untethered jailbreak on my iphone 4S yesterday, under iOS 5.0.1.
the applications to perform the untethered jailbreak of your 3GS device are called:
Redsn0w 0.9.10b2 and Corona 1.0.3

google them...
I've found tutorials but they're in french :creep:

Reactions: 1 person

Odnetnin46

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks!
Getting Redsn0w up and running now...
EDIT: Uh oh. No identifying data fetched error.
Downloading IPSW...
EDIT: Done and booted, but no Cydia or Pwnapple.
I have no idea what happened.
EDIT: Okay, it didn't jailbreak at all. Retrying...
EDIT: Errors galore. For some reason, it just skips the DFU stuff and gives me an "Unidentified Error" error.
EDIT: GRAH. Still not working. And now iTunes is picking up two iPhones. Two HD partitions?

"USB Connection Error".
I am done on this computer. Help? Using an 2006/7ish iMac with 2GB of RAM. USB connecter is fine.
Trying on Mac Pro...

Odnetnin46

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, this is getting rediculous.
I tried again from the Mac Pro, with a little more success, and it allowed me to DFU (I also selected the 5.0.1 IPSW beforehand, FYI, and found out it was luckily an old bootrom).
But then it said that my device wasn't supported for an untethering. So I booted tethered with redsn0w, and a pwnapple showed up.

And then there was no Cydia.

I then powered off, thinking that I might have to reboot to get it to show.

I did not, in fact, jailbreak it at all. I booted untethered, with no Cydia or pwnapple, and now I have a 850MB IPSW/boot partition hovering around on my iPhone, wasting space (I did, however, get that annoying seperate recovery mode iPhone to go away on iTunes).

What am I doing wrong?

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Sounds like you forgot to tick "Install Cydia". Restore your iPhone then try again, it's probably erroring because it's already jailbroken.

Edit: did not read correctly. Redsn0w is pretty self explanatory. You download the latest release, click jailbreak then follow the instructions. Never had a problem with it before. This was likely just a random glitch. Not used it since the A5 break though. If there are options then make sure you choose 3GS/pre-A5. Also don't point redsn0w to any IPSW. It should auto detect. You might have the wrong IPSW

Odnetnin46

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
redsn0w has been recognised by the devs to have trouble identifying 3GS models, so you MUST use an IPSW and tell it that it's either an old or new bootrom. I found out by jailbreaking my iPad that the IPSW was being picked up as an iDevice itself and was sending conflicting signals through iTunes/redsn0w (you can't have two iDevices plugged in when jailbreaking), so I had to delete it, but unfortunately I need it for the 3GS to be recognised.
So I'm at a standstill. Get to work, iDevs. You have bugs to fix.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.