iOS 5: all the details

naruses

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iios5.jpg

Scott Forstall has just taken the WWDC 2011 stage and details about the changes and improvements in iOS 5 are flowing thick and fast.

We've now put together the full list of highlights from the WWDC presentation, which you'll find after the break. iOS 5 will be made available this fall, with compatibility promised for the iPhone 4 and 3GS, iPad 1 and 2, and iPod touch 3rd and 4th generation. [/p]

QUOTE said:
  • Firstly, stats. Scott notes that Apple has so far sold 200 million iOS devices, with more than 25 million of those being iPads. There have been 14 billion downloads from the App Store, tallying over $2.5 billion paid out in revenue to app developers. The iTunes Store isn't doing badly, either, with 15 billion songs sold.
  • And the first new feature: an overhaul of notifications. At last! A new Notification Center aggregates all your, well, notifications into one and is accessible by swiping down a menu from the top of the screen. Yes, just like Android. Small X buttons alongside each note allow you to dismiss it, though there's no "clear all" option for the more decisive among us. Notifications are also making their way onto the lockscreen, where swiping across a text message takes you right into it. A little something like Samsung's TouchWiz implementation.
  • Newsstand is a new place to house all your magazine and newspaper subscriptions.
  • Twitter integration is also coming to iOS 5, with a single sign-in allowing a multitude of apps to make use of your Twitter credentials. That includes the Camera and Photos programs, finally letting you tweet images out directly from your galleries.
  • Safari Reader is a new browser feature that will strip out distractions and present the text of a webpage with no other excess content. Accessible via a button next to the address bar. Also added to the iOS browser is a Reading List, which does what the name suggests by accumulating a list of pages you want to read later. Accessible on multiple devices. Tabbed browsing is making a debut in v5.0 as well, which is sure to be a boon for iPad users.
  • Reminders is another self-descriptive feature. This one's intelligent enough to remind you to do things based on your location. It'll sync across devices and with your calendar.
  • Yay, there's now a camera button right on your lockscreen! The volume-up button is also doubling up as a physical shutter release key when you're in the camera app. Pinch-to-zoom is said to be available right in the app, while holding your finger down on a particular area will lock down exposure to optimize the shot for its particular lighting. Some new in-device editing options have also been added, including cropping, rotation, red-eye reduction, and a one-click enhance option.
  • A new split keyboard has also been shown off in iOS 5.
  • Headline feature: PC Free! No more cables required for syncing. Now we're talking. Setting up and activating a new iOS device can be done right on the device itself, and syncing will be wireless too -- there'll be no need to tether to a computer anymore. Over-the-air updates are also part of the new deal, and in better news still, they'll contain only the data that's changed, meaning you won't have to re-download the entire OS every time Apple opts to make a minor tweak.
  • Another pretty significant novelty: iMessage. It's a messaging service exclusively for iOS users (irrespective of which device they're rocking), which comes with delivery and read receipts, an indicator for when the other party is typing, and the ability to push messages to all your devices. Kinda, sorta like BBM. You'll be able to send messages, photos, videos, and contacts. Group messaging will also be available. It works over either WiFi or 3G and looks to be making good use of Apple's new push notifications.
  • Perhaps the biggest innovation of all in iOS 5, however, will be the way iCloud affects the use of your mobile device. Hit up our overview post of the company's new cloud-syncing solution to learn all about it.
  • iOS 5 will ship in the fall to the following devices: iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, iPad 1 and 2, and iPod touch 3rd and 4th generation.

icon11.gif
Source (Engadget)

I guess this is an more of a social networking update for iOS

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ipod Touch 3 and 3GS is a huge surprise (I said in a previous thread that they might drop them).

I just hope they have optimized their os to use the GPU mainly (the same in all current idevice SGX535 apart from Ipad2), I don't want an iphone 3G on IOS4 fiasco again.

Otherwise, new features are awesome especially twitter integration.

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Tanveer said:
I see. Good to know that it will work on the 3GS and 3rd gen iPod touch
biggrin.gif
!

This is pretty logical finally, so far every Idevice had two major IOS upgrade:
-1st gen got IOS2 and 3 (Last one was 3.1.3)
-2nd got IOS3 and 4 (last one 4.2.1)
-3rd will now have IOS4 and 5.

And finally a little bet:
Final firmware for the iPod touch 3 and 3GS will be IOS 5.3.X.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's see what I already have from this list...

Overhaul of Notifications - Yup. In fact, I believe that the guy that made MobileNotifier (the notification tool that I'm using) is working for Apple now.
Twitter Integration - I don't have this tweak, but it's on the Cydia Store. Somewhere.
Safari Reader - Just a dummed down version of Ad-Blocker and TextReader, I guess.
Reminders - LockInfo and MobileNotifier, again.
Physical Camera Button - Activator for the Cydia Store does this too, along with SnapTap on the Cydia Store.
Split Keyboard - Keyboard Tweaks. Cydia.
Computer Free Syncing - Wi-Fi Sync. 'Nuff said.
iMessage - Glorified biteSMS? On the... you know the drill.
iCloud - Huh. The only thing that Cydia doesn't have... I think.

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Now the only thing that makes me want to JB my iphone is sbsettings.

If Apple had added a gesture to be able to toggle on and off functions (3G/bluetooth/gps) and turn off/lock the phone without pressing any buttons, I'll quit jailbreak.

(And also something to change user agent because it's annoying that some site offer only their hyper limited mobile version when your iphone is 1000% capable of browsing smoothly the full desktop version.)

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
boudincaca said:

If Apple had added a gesture to be able to toggle on and off functions (3G/bluetooth/gps) and turn off/lock the phone without pressing any buttons, I'll quit jailbreak.

(And also something to change user agent because it's annoying that some site offer only their hyper limited mobile version when your iphone is 1000% capable of browsing smoothly the full desktop version.)
Really? I think that Winterboard and LockInfo are also great reasons to stay JB'd.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
boudincaca said:

Are there not browsers in the official App Store that change the user agent? I'm sure they aren't as good as Safari in most cases, but I think they exist...

And SBSettings seems to be one of the few things Apple hasn't added officially yet. Maybe next update. All iOS updates are basically more polished versions (well, in some cases more polished. in others pretty similar) or jailbreak tweaks.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
sergster1 said:
God dammit apple thanks alot for basically telling all ipod touch 2g owners to go fk themselves ¬_¬
Well, it is pretty old....

Anyway, I am excited for this.

But not that I have to wait until August to use it. And not happy that it officially comes in Fall, since I kinda want to use it now. Anyway, *waits for Apple dev center to go online*

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
iOS 5 Preview!
[youtube]LAhP-yLJJ9s[/youtube]​

QUOTE said:
Simon Pierro, a German magic entertainer, found unusual ways to have fun with his iPad 2. According to him, this is what the “new iOS update” will look like. Don’t get too excited, it’s not iOS 5 (with some luck, that’s for tomorrow), but still, the tricks used in the video are pretty amazing. Enjoy!

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
iFish said:
sergster1 said:
God dammit apple thanks alot for basically telling all ipod touch 2g owners to go fk themselves ¬_¬

But not that I have to wait until August to use it. And not happy that it officially comes in Fall, since I kinda want to use it now. Anyway, *waits for Apple dev center to go online*
You want to use it now? Well the majority of the update is stuff that was already possible via jailbreak. So you can get most of the features now, albeit perhaps very slightly less polished/integrated.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SifJar said:
iFish said:
sergster1 said:

You want to use it now? Well the majority of the update is stuff that was already possible via jailbreak. So you can get most of the features now, albeit perhaps very slightly less polished/integrated.

I don't have any plans to jailbreak my iPad 2.
tongue.gif

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
what they didnt say and would be the most interesting thing is jailbreak on iOS5. Are apple gonna up the security measures. true its gonna be hacked but let the online checks (DRM) put a stop to app store purchases or installing new apps.
whatever i said, i feel everything is counterable.

for iCloud, i think dropbox comes quite close to it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"