Invisible "SD Card Menu Data" Channel

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by LeonardoGolden, Apr 9, 2009.

Apr 9, 2009
  1. LeonardoGolden
    OP

Member LeonardoGolden GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Today I started Bonsai Barber on my SD card, and it restarted my wii. I thought it was weird. Anyway, it gave me the message "Wii system memory is full"

I had 255 free blocks. I go to my data management for channels and I see a new channel called "SD Card Data Menu - Bonsai Barber"
    It doesn't show up on the Wii Menu and it takes up the same amount of blocks Bonsai Barber does.

Why did the wii copy the channel over to the system memory? Aren't they supposed to play off the SD Card?

The same thing happened with World of Goo, except it deleted Bonsai Barber's.

What's going on?!
    I'd like to keep my blocks!

This whole storage solution is bullshit. What's the point if it'll end up taking space in your system memory?

2. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    The wii can't read from SD so to boot the from the SD menu it copies the game back to the NAND (temporary). So you still need enough space on your wii.
    Sucks, doesn't it?

3. LeonardoGolden
    OP

Member LeonardoGolden GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So much for a "storage solution"...
    And here I thought I could finally have Ocarina of Time on my Wii...

I guess I'll have to find a bigger SD Card so I can copy over all the VC/WiiWare games on my Wii.

4. TroyTheZombie

Member TroyTheZombie GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    wow. That makes it kinda pointless actually.

5. Det1re

Member Det1re det1re.de

Germany
    ...it's just a typical "nintendosolution".

6. crwys

Member crwys GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You guys are making it worse than it seems. Lets say you have 10 blocks left on your wii, you go to play a game off the SD card menu. You will still be able to play it, but when you exit from the game you launched, the wii will say you need to free up space, just delete that temporary channel. Even if that doesnt work out, lets say you have 10 channels that take up 1,000 blocks. (Each channel takes up 100 blocks. You put all those in the SD card, that saves you atleast 100 out of 1,000 blocks anyways. Keep in mind that if you launch one game from the SD card menu, then launch another one, it automatically deletes that temporary channel from the last game you launched and creates a new one. So there will always be 1 temporary channel,no more than 1.

7. Megan

Newcomer Megan Member

United Kingdom
    As long as you keep about 350 blocks free, you'll be fine.

8. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    What is the largest WiiWare game available on the shop channel, anyway?

9. Det1re

Member Det1re det1re.de

Germany
    "World Of Goo" or "Onslaught".
    Not sure which one...

10. kevenz

Member kevenz GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    the largest is space invaders gets even with the dlc

it's like 600 blocks.

11. imapterodactyl

Member imapterodactyl GBAtemp Fan

United States
    That's a bit misleading. I believe the DLC is all save data. The channel itself is around 350 blocks or less. As long as your Wii has about 350 blocks free, you should be able to play any game from your SD card. As others pointed out, once you switch to another game, the NAND is wiped and the new game gets the temporary spot. So if you've got a 4GB SD card, and you fill it with only Wiiware/VC games, it can hold.... what, like 40,000 blocks plus? And all you need free on your Wii is 350? Sounds like a perfectly decent storage solution to me.

Hell, I've got over 25 Wiiware/VC games on my SD card right now that I can play any time I want, with a solid 1,000 blocks free on the Wii, and TONS of space left on the card... something that wasn't even close to possible before the SD storage option. Hardly "pointless" as a poster above said.

12. crwys

Member crwys GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You don't even need free space on your wii. If i wanted to play World Of Goo on my SD card menu, but I only had 10 blocks left on my wii. I CAN STILL PLAY IT. It's just when you exit the game the wii will ask you to free up space, just simply delete that temporary World Of Goo channel.