Introductions

pyrocide

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,

Name is pyrocide, been fiddling with homebrew stuff on my PSP-1001 Phat w/ 5.00m33-6 and would like to start getting to the same for my DS Lite.

Looking for some advise on purchasing a kit

Needing a card that does the following **if at all possible** for DS Lite

- Purchasable in the US
- Ability to make backups of games I already have like Mariokart DS and Brain Age etc.
- Plays said backup roms
- Allows for a 32GB capacity micro SD card (have one left over from my Galaxy S2)
- Plays homebrew games (for example Pokemon Emerald 386)
- Able to upgrade firmware for future development
- Large compatibility of *working* GB/GBA/DS games - particularly Mario/Final Fantasy/Pokemon/Kirby/Donkey Kong/Castlevania series games

Would prefer not to spend money on features I wont ever use, but if its the only way to be able to I do not mind.

I have been informed by another forum that I have 2 decent choices to purchase, SuperCard DSTWO or EZ Flash 3in1 + SuperCard DSONEi.

Can anyone comment on these options?

EDIT: Also, one thing that kept from buying one of the kits was the wide spread selling of fakes and trash copys of legitimate kits. What are some reputable sites to purchase from?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
1 - None of them are made in the US, any you buy in stores will be imported and more expensive, and IRL shops that carry carts tend to carry a bunch of shitty R4 clones. It's best to order online form chinese/import shops since they have the widest selection and cheaper prices.

2 - There's homebrew to do that on any modern slot-1 cart (but it's a painfully slow process, I think using a slot-2 as well is faster).

3 - Any modern slot-1 (DS slot) flash cart can do that.

4 - Any modern slot-1 cart can do that, but be careful as SDs that come with phones tend to be shitty quality.

5 - For GBA stuff, you'll want a slot-2 flash cart (GBA slot) as well. While the DSTwo can do GBA stuff, it's not as good as a slot-2.

6 - Any of the ones with current DSi/3DS compatibility can do that.

7a - Any modern slot-1 cart can run 99.9% of DS games at any given time (sometimes you need to wait for an update to play games that just came out).

7b - As for GBA games, that's a toughie when it comes to pokemon and such because most slot-2 carts do not have RTC hardware which messes with any pokemon games that use time-based events (like growing berries and the day/night systems). This includes the 3-in-1, no RTC there. There are sometimes patches for these games that will let them run anyways or allow you to tweak the events regardless of the time, but they're not always available and not as good as letting the game run naturally. As far as I know all the carts that had RTC went our of production years ago so you'll be paying quite a bit more for one (and GBA-slot carts are more expensive than DS-slot carts in the first place). I can't tell you any more than this since I just said "fuck it" and got a PSP for emulation to skip those issues, so I wouldn't be able to tell you what models to look for or anything.

The most expensive DS-slot flash cart that's recommended (the DSTwo) is still less than the price of a new DS game, so no need to worry there (it's GBA stuff where you hit trouble).

As far as fakes, the fakes tend to be of cheap carts like the R4 and Ak2i. We've never seen a fake DSTwo or DSONEi.

pyrocide

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As i mentioned before, Ive got a PSP with a cfw and it can run GBA roms flawlessly, not a big deal there, and no I am not an avid berry grower, i am however a 100% completetion freak and lvl 99 freak. I dont recall any pokemon that are RTC dependent, however i havent play anything past Emerald.

The main reason for me wanting to buy a kit is to not have to keep up with the 10s of DS games and GBA games i have in a bucket.

Apologies for the confusion. I knew that the "carts" werent made in the US, I was meaning a website that I can purchase legally in the states. IIRC, the UK banned the sale of some of them and restricted access to websites selling them or something to that effect. Thats what I was getting at with the "Purchasable in the US" statement.

The SDHC is an ADATA card i bought for the galaxy phone. Not one that came with the phone, infact i dont think the phone even came with one.

So its best to get the Slot 1 and Slot 2 combo for what i want, since the DSTWO doesnt do GBA games as well. Any recommendations for combos or is the one from the other forum sufficient?

And another question, as i understand it, 3DS games like Mario Kart 7 are not able to be backed up and played on a non 3DS system, correct?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Espeon/Umbreon's evolutions depend on the time of day, but other than that I don't think anything else in Gen III does. Gen IV won't be an issue as DS ROMs can use the DS's form of RTC properly (as it's based on the unit and and offset IIRC).

RealHotStuff has a US site, and ModChipCentral ships from across the border in canada.

3DS ROMs cannot be run period.
(But yes 3DS games only run on the 3DS.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr