Introducing Recom, a comprehensive and superior compression format.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Qriist, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Qriist
    OP

Newcomer Qriist Member

United States
    Lastest download: 2012-01-15
    http://www.multiupload.com/O565IAN0I7

This is a toolset I have been working on for quite some time. The basic premise is very simple and adheres to two points:
    A: The files must be compressed to the smallest possible file size in the most reasonable amount of time.
    B: The file integrity must be protected at all costs!!!

I am a semi-amateur programmer and have written these tools in AutoHotKey_L 64-bit. I have tested over and over using many different scenarios. Alas, I can't predict everything. This release contains the first module for Recom that I will be releasing, Revolution. Revolution processes Gamecube and Wii games.

Main features:
    -Automatic! You place your game images and archives in the indicated directory and Recom will process it in turn. Split RAR's and binary splits are no problem!
    -Safe! At no point will your original image be deleted until all stages of compression and other forms of processing complete successfully.
    -Efficient! I have spent a large amount of time messing with these tools to find the fastest, best, reproducible settings imaginable.
    -Naming! If the option is enabled and a ReDump dat is available, the program will rename your output game based on the dat file at hand, with semi-auto updating of the dat files. (Once ReDump restores the dat files to the website I can make it entirely automatic..) This allows for standardized naming conventions and easy updating of already processed files. (Renaming is much faster.)
    -Unified! For images with garbage data, this data is moved to an external file. Users can opt to download only the scrubbed archive (or the scrubbed archive+junk data) and the unRecom extractor will detect and use the proper technique. This means that "casual" users can easily grab the tiny scrubbed archive while the "collectors" acquire the entire thing, and both seed the same torrent!
    -Economic! If everyone uses this method, even those with slow connections or limited space will be able to download more games in less time.
    -Futureproof! If an amazing new compression format or technique pops up, I'll be able to implement it and the end user will be able to run all previously Recom'd games through it.
    While the script looks quite primitive and unrefined, I do intend to add a better visual interface if the community likes what they see. (That is, if I get good reception on the METHODS at hand.)

This software is still BETA, though I have processed over a hundred gamecube and wii images. I can vouch that all characters A-Z, 0-9, parentheses, and the ampersand (&) are properly picked up while renaming. If other special characters are found in the redump dats that use special codes, I don't know them. The program will sorta fritz in this case... Just kill the plugin (ex, "Revolution.exe") and inform me of the game and system. Your original game will NOT be touched, mmmkay?

User feedback prompted me to make an intrinsically dynamic system. You need to run the Recom Initialization program before first run. Your "bit-ness" and RAM capacity will be detected and Recom will automatically compile the best possible settings for you! The meta files will allow your instance of Recom to "communicate" with previous instances.

Good luck! I hope you guys start using this format from here on out!

Here is the latest Recom:

Here is the latest Readme:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

For those of you familiar with Wiimm's wit, this builds on his WIA format to handle Gamecube and Wii games. Kudo's to him, that format is nasty awesome.

The following are some sample results from my UNTOUCHED, INTACT ISOs, compressed with my format. In red following each game, it shows what the scrubbed ISO + winrar looks like, size wise.
    The Legend of Zelda - Skyward Sword (Korea) 3gb (ISO+RAR=3.83gb)
    Rayman Origins (USA): 1.44gb (ISO+RAR=3.44GB)
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl (USA) (v1.01) 5.11gb (ISO+RAR=6.73GB)
    Geist (Europe) 340mb (ISO+RAR=647mb)
    Metroid Prime Trilogy: 4.41gb (ISO+RAR=7.43gb)

2 people like this.

2. troydude6

Newcomer troydude6 Advanced Member

United States
    This is truely excellent. You've done some great work here. Keep it up

3. NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Member NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU Now with extra redundancy!

Australia
    WHAT?! 12GB of RAM?! Who has 12GB of RAM?! Even most of today's top end computers have only 8GB!

Sounds cool though!

4. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    I've seen this on BG, nice work. If only such a thing existed for the Xbox 360.

5. Qriist
    OP

Newcomer Qriist Member

United States
    RAM is getting ungodly cheap nowadays. You can easily get 16gb (4x4) for 150 bucks, and even cheaper. Still, it isn't a requirement to run this program, as YOUR best setting is detected and written into the code.

6. hunter291

Member hunter291 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    Somehow, I am to stupid to find the dl link. Can you highlight it or something ? :S

7. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Maybe i'm going mental but the link points to the wrong files...i think you meant this one -> http://www.multiupload.com/RNY4W8BIA8

Also,

Hey Qriist...

8. hunter291

Member hunter291 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    Maybe your confusing the redump link with the recom link :P But I didn't find the recom link. Thanks :D

9. Qriist
    OP

Newcomer Qriist Member

United States
    Derp. Didn't include the download link, how stupid. It is there now. -.- The link in the spoiler is indeed intended as pointing to the redump archives.

Hey Xist!!!!! How are you? It has been quite some time, eh?

10. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Been a while indeed....and my fortune is about as good as CEX's was.....mostly bad....:(

Anyway, it's nice to see that you're still working on these neat little apps. For some reason i never really made it over to PSX-Scene....

11. Gh0sti

Member Gh0sti iOS Guru

United States
    very cool can u play Wii isos compressed like that from an external hhd on wii?

12. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    I was actually reading about this on *snip* yesterday. It's pretty crazy that you managed to compress Metroid Prime Trilogy to 4.4GB.

Although I wasn't able to get this to work with my Prime Trilogy .wia file.

13. coolness

Banned coolness PSN: Dutch_DarkLord

Netherlands
    i was hoping for a soort of emulator that plays ps2 and psp games on the nintendo wii
    than i could play KH birth by sleep :P

14. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    That is some impressive compression. I wonder if this will become the future standard for archiving games.

Keep up the great work!

15. Qriist
    OP

Newcomer Qriist Member

United States
    soulx, what issue were you having, specifically? I just double checked and WIA format files work perfectly fine as input.

16. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    This is awesome. Id love for this to be the standard in compression. Ill try to spread the word. =P

17. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    This sounds very interesting. Especially the support for the PSP. I've downloaded one too many poorly compressed CSO files.

18. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Cool story, but what does this have to do with Recom?

OT: Interesting idea, I'll be able to use it for PS2 ISO's, have a lot of them.

19. Ace

Member Ace GBATemp's Patrick Bateman

Sweden
    Well, I'd actually love to see this work on the DS, since I carry lots of games on my DSTWO. It seems utterly unbelieveably good!

1 person likes this.
  20. Presto99

Member Presto99 You slammin, bro?

United States
    This seems awesome...excuse my n00bness, but this is just for archiving, right? Obviously none of the USB loaders support loading a Wii game like this, right?