Interesting problem...

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by shutterbug2000, Aug 31, 2015.

1. shutterbug2000
    OP

shutterbug2000 Cubic NINJHAX!

Oct 11, 2014
    United States
    I've ran into a rather unique problem. I've been working on a homebrew for a while now, but no matter what I try, it won't run on the console... and yet it runs fine on an emulator. Any ideas why?

(and no, I'm not trying kernel access/ cia installing or anything like that :P)

2. machinamentum

machinamentum GBAtemp Regular

Jul 5, 2015
    United States
    You need to provide context if you want help solving your problem. There could be countless reasons why it'd work on Citra or 3dmoo but not on hardware.
    Where's the code?
    What are you trying to do in the code?
    What do you mean it won't run? Is it crashing on start up? Is it soft locking?
    What are you using to launch the homebrew? Homebrew Launcher? Ninjhax/tubehax/ironhax without the launcher?
    What parts of the hardware are you trying to call into? Are you using the linear heap correctly? Are you flushing the data cache when needed?

3. shutterbug2000
    OP

Oct 11, 2014
    United States
    What happens is when I attempt to load the program, it freezes after doing the service "takeover", with either a black top screen and a red bottom screen, or a garbled top screen with a red bottom screen. It does compile to a rather large file, around 2 mb or so, which makes me wonder if it could be a ram related issue. Also, I'm lauching from the HB launcher, but I've tried without the launcher as well. I've tried NINJhax 2.0 and ironhax, but it doesn't make any difference.

Any other details you might need?

4. Ultimatezmaili

Ultimatezmaili Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2015
    Jordan
    do you have the latest boot.3dsx by smea?

5. shutterbug2000
    OP

Oct 11, 2014
    United States
    I can check, but I believe so.

EDIT: Made sure I had latest, still crashes.

6. machinamentum

machinamentum GBAtemp Regular

Jul 5, 2015
    United States
    2MB is pretty huge, what are you using inside the binary? Are you using the GPU at all? Are you embedding images or sound into the code or loading via SD card?

7. mattycfp

mattycfp Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2015
    United States
    25.0000° N, 71.0000° W
    Try using a smaller file. See if it still crashes. If it doesn't after that, then you know there's a problem with the file size/code.

8. elhobbs

elhobbs GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 28, 2008
    United States
    can you use the bottom screen for printing? add some printf calls with some code to wait for a button press - essentially a manual break point. put these in some key places, startup game loop - and see where it dies. usually the fastest way to find issues lacking an actual debugger.