Hardware Intel HD Graphics - ok for gaming?

ComeTurismO

CTO
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello all, before I begin, I apologize if I ask such a noobish question, but i'm not a techy guy...

I have a laptop that runs on Intel HD Graphics, with 4GB Ram, Processor Intel Pentium CPU N3530..

Is it good for gaming?
Like... when GTA V comes out for the PC?
LOL sorry im such a curious noob

temptemp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello, Intel HD Graphics means that you got an integrated graphic card, which isn't good for gaming, heavy games requires atleast a dedicated graphic card. I don't think that you'll be able to run GTA V on your PC, or if it runs, you'll have very low fps.

Reactions: Margen67

Akiranon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Your processor is actually using Bay Trail cores (commonly found in Atom processors), so that means that your integrated graphics are going to be even worse. Intel gen 8 graphics (most of the time around 20 EUs) won't run GTA V decently... Your even slower gen 7 graphics (only 4 EUs) certainly aren't going to, either.

Just buy a desktop if you really want to play the latest PC games decently for a normal price (gaming laptops are expensive and still slower than most desktop computers).

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have a i5 with the HD 4600 and I can say it's pretty weak for gaming. The latest game I ran on it was Dragon Ball XenoVerse and it runs at a steady 30 FPS at 720p. It does the job but don't expect much of it. But you never know it might get a boost with the new DX 12.

temptemp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I didn't link it directly cause I don't know if it's considered as spam or whatever, I'm kinda new here.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Hello all, before I begin, I apologize if I ask such a noobish question, but i'm not a techy guy...

I have a laptop that runs on Intel HD Graphics, with 4GB Ram, Processor Intel Pentium CPU N3530..

Is it good for gaming?
Like... when GTA V comes out for the PC?
LOL sorry im such a curious noob

absolutely not.

having a intel graphics usually means you don't have a graphic card and the CPU is doing all the work...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gonna be blunt, that IGP (or any) are rarely good enough for gaming, only those super high-end Iris IGPs are decent and even then, integrated graphics chips will never be sufficient enough for real gaming.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Gonna be blunt, that IGP (or any) are rarely good enough for gaming, only those super high-end Iris IGPs are decent and even then, integrated graphics chips will never be sufficient enough for real gaming.

What do you consider an IGP those days in a Notebook?
Of course dye-integrated gpus (like Intel HD that are even part of the processor's dye) are IGPs.
But is an nVidia GT630M an IGP? It is a very basic kind of graphic coprocessor (as it wouldn't work in its own without a real graphic card), and it comes soldered into the mainboard of cheap IntelHD based notebooks.
Anyway it is good enough to run Skyrim and probably GTA V in low.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you consider an IGP those days in a Notebook?
Of course dye-integrated gpus (like Intel HD that are even part of the processor's dye) are IGPs.
But is an nVidia GT630M an IGP? It is a very basic kind of graphic coprocessor (as it wouldn't work in its own without a real graphic card), and it comes soldered into the mainboard of cheap IntelHD based notebooks.
Anyway it is good enough to run Skyrim and probably GTA V in low.

No, as they aren't integrated graphics processors, they're labeled as dedicated. Intel HD chips are IGP, nVidia chips are dedicated. nVidia Optimus is hybrid, both integrated and dedicated, they're an odd breed.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
If you're absolutely determined to use integrated graphics, you'll need to buy fast RAM. In most machines really fast ram isn't really needed (anything faster then 2ghz is probably over kill unless you have a specific program that would benefit from it). But computers with integrated graphics share a part of the main ram and with video game processing, faster ram helps things like frame buffers and such work at faster speeds or at least better able to load textures and unload them faster.

You're gaming experience will still be subpar either way, so you might as well buy a decent mid-range dedicated graphics card. :P

Reactions: Margen67

ComeTurismO

CTO
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
temptemp
the_randomizer
migles
guitarheroknight