Hacking Question Installing XCI over USB?

upfromtheskies

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to install XCI over USB? I've been told this can be done with nut and tinfoil, but I can't get nut to recognize my xci files. I've also tried a USB HDD, but tinfoil doesn't see my XCI files on it.

upfromtheskies

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you gonna install XCI may as well just install NSP instead, smaller size where it would save you storage space in the long run.
The reason I'm using XCI is because I can play them mounted from the USB HDD connected to my Switch dock, but I would like to be able to install games to my SD card too and I don't want to keep two different versions of games.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason I'm using XCI is because I can play them mounted from the USB HDD connected to my Switch dock, but I would like to be able to install games to my SD card too and I don't want to keep two different versions of games.

Tinfoil does allow XCI installation but it require the acid patch, and I don't really understand the naming convention with nut server so I can't help you with that.

Reactions: upfromtheskies

upfromtheskies

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tinfoil does allow XCI installation but it require the acid patch, and I don't really understand the naming convention with nut server so I can't help you with that.
I think my tinfoil is patched because I can install XCI with it from google drive, but it won't see XCI on my external HDD. Do you know if they need to be in certain folders?

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why don't you just install them from the external hard drive using SX OS while docked? You could always delete them later but they would stay on your external. Instead of messing with a computer that would be the easiest way. Just go to Album then Installer, and hit a to install.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any way to install XCI over USB? I've been told this can be done with nut and tinfoil, but I can't get nut to recognize my xci files. I've also tried a USB HDD, but tinfoil doesn't see my XCI files on it.
Do what I do keep a copy of a few games on my sd in xci format, when you boot up SX with hdd attached, hdd always take priority and sd games are at the end. If not hdd sd games appear and it can be the xci on both so the same version

upfromtheskies

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why don't you just install them from the external hard drive using SX OS while docked? You could always delete them later but they would stay on your external. Instead of messing with a computer that would be the easiest way. Just go to Album then Installer, and hit a to install.
I've been told to avoid doing this because they won't work with NSP updates and DLC when installed that way - but I've never tested it. If I do this with untrimmed XCI will it install the untrimmed part too?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also add "usbfs" to the file browser and you can install any XCI no matter what it is named (as long as it ends in xci).
When I open USBFS in the file browser of tinfoil it's empty - even when I have my external HDD attached with XCI - do I need to make a folder called USBFS?

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been told to avoid doing this because they won't work with NSP updates and DLC when installed that way - but I've never tested it. If I do this with untrimmed XCI will it install the untrimmed part too?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

When I open USBFS in the file browser of tinfoil it's empty - even when I have my external HDD attached with XCI - do I need to make a folder called USBFS?

My apologies got mixed up with nut usb installation, just browse to the XCI using usbhdd in tinfoil. add usbhdd protocol if it isnt listed.

upfromtheskies

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My apologies got mixed up with nut usb installation, just browse to the XCI using usbhdd in tinfoil. add usbhdd protocol if it isnt listed.
This fixed my problem with USB HDD install, I didn't realize I had to add usbhdd, and it wasn't appearing before in the file browser so I assumed tinfoil wasn't seeing my HDD. Thank you!

Btw - any way to get nut to recognize XCI? I've tried adding title ID to the file, but it won't see any XCI when I scan for files.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.