Installing Windows through USB

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by BlackWizzard17, Aug 12, 2013.

1. BlackWizzard17
    OP

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    I have successfully put windows 7 on a USB flash drive through the Microsoft tool.
    What my problem is getting my windows to boot from the flash drive.
    On my other computer i was able to change the boot order to run off a CD-Rom but this computer is totally different. the picture that shows the files is all the stuff that was transfer to the drive.
    The other picture shows how i can change the boot order but it does not work. I need help on what i might be doing wrong or if i need to post more information.

Thanks in Advance.

Attached Files:

2. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Can you be more specific when you say "it does not work" regarding boot order?

3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    First of all, remove your text format please.

Secondly, what exactly are you having issues with? I mean, I understand you're having troubles booting to USB, but what do you mean changing the boot order doesn't work? As in, when you change Removable to 1st device it just doesn't save? Or if you change it, it just doesn't boot off the USB drive? Some USB drives require additional drivers to work (which is absolutely retarded, but whatever). If this is the case for your USB drive, it won't boot and you'll need to use another one/burn a Windows ISO to a disc.

4. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh

Fixed the formatting.

Anyway, the first thing I would suggest is update your BIOS. It's likely it's outdated and the current revision doesn't have the boot from USB option. Other then that It looks like you did everything right.
    Although I would suggest you slipstream your USB install to SP1 to grab a ton of updates

Also lol @ your pirated copy of windows ;O; SO OBVIOUS

5. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    It should support his USB drive, as the third in boot order is "removable." Also, lol.

6. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    It shows Removable in the picture of his BIOs, so it supports USB.

EDIT: :ninja:'d

7. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    Or does it? Removable could be Removable Floppy Disk :ninja:
    Plus a BIOS update generally contains compatibility fixes with USB Hubs and compatibility, etc.

8. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    It could also be "Removable Compact Disk." But that'd just be silly.

And yeah, he could update his bios (if it isn't already updated), but since he seems to have a problem working the bios, it seems likely that his attempt at updating could result in messed up computer. Unless it's a simple procedure, but it doesn't look like it from how old the bios looks.

9. BlackWizzard17
    OP

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    Okay thanks for responding, now how would I update my bios or know if my bios is up to date

10. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
  11. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Just to add, it's also possible the USB drive itself either wasn't formatted correctly to boot (shouldn't be the case with the MS tool, but I've seen it happen a few times) or doesn't support booting (rare, as it usually means it requires drivers to support built in features to work, which is plain retarded). Then there's the possibility that a pirated version of Windows is missing one or more key files to boot.

In all 3 of these cases, the system would tell you something indicating these errors when trying to boot, assuming you set Removable to first boot priority.