Installing PS2 games onto an HDD partition

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by ChaosBoi, Apr 30, 2010.

Apr 30, 2010
  1. ChaosBoi
    OP

Member ChaosBoi Ushiromiya Battler

United States
    Okay, so I have created two partitions on an IDE HDD. One is for Wii games (I use an IDE to USB cable for this by the way) while the other one is going to be used for PS2 games. I don't have a spare drive nor the money to buy a separate hard drive at the moment, so using another hard drive is not an option. When I ran the WinHIIP program, it doesn't let me choose a partition to create the PS2's master boot record on, but rather it only lets me choose the entire drive as a whole.

Is there a program out there that will allow me to just use a partition and not the entire drive? I searched google but couldn't find anything. Some help would really be appreciated.

2. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    No. You need the entire thing as a PS2 formatted HDD for it to work properly. You can add custom PS2 partitions for use with other PS2 apps using ULE but it's no dice for your Wii/PS2 plan.

3. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Format your hard drive to Fat32 and run your Wii games from WBFS folder place your PS2 formatted games on root of drive simple best of both worlds Openps2loader is here http://sksapps.com/index.php?page=hd.html everything you need to convert your Ps2 games can be found there aswell

4. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    pretty sure ps2 wont read fat32
    it needs some special formating that hdl does (which is why the hdd wont show up in windows when its formatted and only in that program)

5. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    PS2 only reads fat32 when you use USB loaders it only runs HDL when you run an internal hard drive on a FAT PS2

6. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Which is what he was doing/asking about....>_>

7. alphanemisis

Member alphanemisis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i bought a seagate go slim 2.5" 500gb hdd.... i tried to plug it in to my ps3 and it wont detect it... i have alot of dvd backups i want to playback ( since the ps3 is supposed to do it) ... someone tell me whats wrong!

and is there a way to play game backups (psx, ps2) from hdd on ps3 this way?

8. Sao Mortel

Member Sao Mortel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    NO!! No (useful) hacks on ps3 yet. Buy a used ps2 (or psp for psx) if you want to use those backups.

9. dnniwa485

Member dnniwa485 GBAtemp Fan

@sao mortel

actually theres one.. using PS2_loader v0.7 by ifcaro + Swap magic can boot games via HDD(USB) and SMB(Network)

confirmed works only for the PS3's launch Unit (PS3 SKU 20Gb,60GB and some 80GB units)

@chaosboi

you format your HDD usng your PS2 or your PC using enclosure

and PS2 doesnt recognize partitioned HDD, so itll probably delete all existing partitions on your current HDD.

also all homebrew loader programs cant also recognize a partitioned HDD, even if it is formatted in FAT32

so to put it bluntly, you cant partition your HDD that you gonna use for PS2

10. alphanemisis

United States
    priority hdd use: video playback....
    not as concerned for game backups...
    how do i do it?
    does the ps3 have to format hdd?
    how do i do it when hdd is already partitioned and formatted?

11. dnniwa485

Member dnniwa485 GBAtemp Fan

OT:

@alphanemisis

your off topic.. make your own topic

and ill answer you..

12. alphanemisis

United States
    ok posted new topic... but im still interested in hdd gaming, just not a priority.
    just as i am tired of my 700+ dvd collection rotting, and scratching... i would like a little insurance on games since they are significantly more expensive.