Hacking Installing HBC - boot.dol Not found

mrsparkle-

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I've been trying for quite a while now to install the Homebrew channel on my Wii. I got the motivation to try install this after I updated to 3.4..
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, once I found out that it's still possible to use the Twilight Hack and the like (Yes, I know that the Twilight Hack gets deleted after use etc..) I tried putting the necessary files on my SD card to install the homebrew channel. Just for clarification purposes, here's a screenshot of how I've got the files on my card.

I think in terms of the Twilight Hack and the type of save I need to use, I've got that down because it seems to start the hack and everything when I walk back as soon as I choose the appropriate save file (TwilightHack2). But as soon as it starts and attempts to look for the boot.dol file, it says something on the lines of "boot.dol not found, looking for boot.elf. Can't find boot.elf. Then it leaves a message saying hanging or whatever.

Initially I had the "wiiload" folder that came in the HBC package, but after some Googling someone suggested just leaving the boot.dol on it's own. Same problem. If I have got something completely wrong here, forgive my ignorance. But a part of me is suspecting the SD card, but then I question how I could get to the point of starting the hack.

So if anyone's been in a similar situation or knows what's going on I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks.

kitt050383

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

mrsparkle-

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Ltkort

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
mrsparkle- said:
kitt050383 said:
QUOTE said:
Troubleshooting

* If you get an error such as Failed to read boot.elf or boot.dol (-1), your SD card may not be formatted as FAT16. Try reformatting your SD card with the Official SD Card Format Tool.
Source: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Twilight_Hack

Official SD Card Format Tool:: http://www.sdcard.org/about/downloads/

-kitt050383
I'll give that a try now and let you know how it goes, thanks.

Or you place the boot.dol in the root of the sd. and then it works....

kitt050383

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Or you place the boot.dol in the root of the sd. and then it works....

Hey Ltkort did you not check out his screenshot it is in the root!!!!!! And Hes getting the error message....

Duh!!!

-Kitt050383

If that was meant as a joke... k...

mrsparkle-

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm.. I used the SD Format software and popped that files back on and I tried running the Twilight Hack and now it starts off, but then goes in an endless loop of "start cluster = ffff". Tried some Googling on it but not too much on it.

slowmind

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This happened to me when i was trying to install HBC on my friends 3.4E

I downloaded it again, and replaced the boot.dol. I also redownloaded the Twilight Hack 3.4E save
This didnt resolve it.

for some strange reason the way i resolved it was not to replace the file but to delete both files on the sd card, take the sd card out, put it back and put the files back on. FOR SOME REASON THAT WORKED
i was about to give up after that as well.

so try that out, might have just been a fluke.

mrsparkle-

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I just tried out another SD card and the installation was successful. Guess something must've been up with the other card. Thanks for all your help guys.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW7LwaU1xMw