Installing games from other regions

Karstent

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It would seem, judging by a few posts I've seen, that it's entirely possible, but I want to make sure just in case. Would I be able to install USA and JPN Virtual Console titles on my EUR Wii U and play them just fine? Using CFW that is. I'd be installing them to NAND, since I have enough space for them.

I was also wondering if I can install USA and JPN Virtual Console WADs as well on the vWii, and play them without bricking it.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
How so? I heard that the original Wii had problems with that at least. The WAD from the wrong region would certainly brick it.
Installing the wrong region system menu WAD would brick a Wii (region changing is a whole process that requires more than just a system menu WAD) but that's about it. Channels are perfectly safe. On vWii specifically, the things to avoid are system titles like system IOS and system menu because they're different than on Wii.
You can't launch them from system menu though, since there is no Priiloader for region free patches (yet, it's currently a work in progress)
You'll have to launch them from USB Loader GX or similar.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: jeannotte

Karstent

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Installing the wrong region system menu WAD would brick a Wii
Why would people install system menu and IOS WADs?

You'll have to launch them from USB Loader GX or similar.
That goes only for Wii Shop Channel WADs then, right? I take it Wii U eShop titles can be launched regardless of the region.

So how good is launching them from USB Loader GX compared to just installing it to the vWii's NAND? Are saves easy to access, as in, visible from the Wii Menu like any other standard title? Because if so, I may as well just copy and launch every WAD from there. Do you know of any updated tutorial on how to do that?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Why would people install system menu and IOS WADs?

That goes only for Wii Shop Channel WADs then, right? I take it Wii U eShop titles can be launched regardless of the region.

So how good is launching them from USB Loader GX compared to just installing it to the vWii's NAND? Are saves easy to access, as in, visible from the Wii Menu like any other standard title? Because if so, I may as well just copy and launch every WAD from there. Do you know of any updated tutorial on how to do that?
Some people tried to region change but didn't do it correctly and ended up with a brick, and some people tried to manually update their Wii by installing the latest system menu WAD, but forgot to install the corresponding IOS that goes with it and is required for SM to work. And a lot of people installed cIOSCORP/DARKCORP, which normally doesn't cause bricks, but if something went wrong during installation it's possible. All of these things would be a very bad idea on vWii since system menu WADs don't work on vWii unless they're encrypted with a special key and cIOSCORP/DARKCORP would brick it guaranteed.

Wii U titles need other region free methods, like Spiik.

Saves? Data Management isn't in USB Loader GX, you can't manage your saves from it.
Launching games works the same as Wii Menu pretty much, just with extra features.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: That counts as a software update :tpi: