Installing Dolphin in the HBC

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by calmwaters, May 27, 2013.

1. calmwaters
    OP

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    I've been having trouble getting Dios Mios to run my GC games. I've been at it for 2 weeks now, and I'm sick of it. Then I started thinking about installing Dolphin in my SD card and running that in my Wii.

2. miihackwii

miihackwii Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2013
    I may have the wrong end of the stick here? But I thought that the Dolphin emu was for pc not the wii?

BortzANATOR likes this.
  3. calmwaters
    OP

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    It is. I was thinking that they could make a version of it that's compatible with the Wii. It'd be like the emulators you can download from the Homebrew Browser

4. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Dolphin doesn't run on PPC.

5. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Nov 15, 2009
    Brazil
    My home
    Wii emulator running on wii? ...that wiiSeption..

lukinoz, Lanlan, Sicklyboy and 3 others like this.
  6. calmwaters
    OP

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    I know. Are there any plans to make it run on there? Dolphin plays my GameCube files perfectly on the computer; why can't I run it on my Wii? It'd save me a lot of trouble.
    Yes, it sounds crazy and awesome as well. :)

7. Rydian

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Because your computer is many times more powerful and has much more resources than the Wii.

I mean you might as well be saying "That guy I met at the gym can bench-press 150 pounds, why can't my 3-year old son do it?"

pwsincd and Vague Rant like this.
  8. calmwaters
    OP

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Okay.

9. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Nov 15, 2009
    Brazil
    My home
    Yup ...as our good old friend, the Persian Messenger used to say, This is madness!!

Sicklyboy likes this.
  10. PsyBlade

PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Jul 30, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Sol III
    Gave Devolution a try?

11. calmwaters
    OP

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
  12. kumpandjill

kumpandjill GBAtemp Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    United States
    no way it'd just work like that. it'd have to be re-written, optimized for the different architecture, etc.

13. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    I think you've misunderstood the post. 'Dolphin' was the codename for the gamecube before release, which was the namesake of the emulator.

Dolphin will never be ported to the Wii. Emulators are created for the purpose of simulating hardware that you don't have via software. Software is slow compared to hardware... very slow. The Wii already has all the actual, real hardware necessary to run Gamecube, so the effort of porting Dolphin (were it even viable) would be wasted. My understanding of DIOS MIOS is it puts the Wii into Gamecube mode and force-feeds the game-data into it through SD/USB rather than the intended Disk Drive. Devolution, on the other hand, seems to be taking full advantage of the Wii's hardware which does everything the Gamecube does and then some and better.

Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, as I have no behind-the-scenes looks at either DIOS MIOS or Devolution.

14. Rydian

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Yeah DIOS MIOS gives extra hardware access to the GC mode, while Devolution 'scales back' Wii mode, so to speak.

15. calmwaters
    OP

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    DIOS MIOS is a Homebrew application that lets you launch GameCube games from the Wii. Devolution is a rewriting of the Dolphin code to make it run on the Wii; this also makes it a Homebrew application.

16. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Where are you getting the idea that "Devolution is a rewriting of Dolphin code"?

17. calmwaters
    OP

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    "WHAT: Devolution is a loader designed to run gamecube games on a wii. Dolphin was the codename for the gamecube, Revolution was the codename for the wii, add them together = Devolution." It's the Dolphin code merged with the Revolution code. So yes, some stuff probably had to be written. Instead of having the Wii and the GameCube, now you have the WiiCube. :lol:

18. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    No, 'Dolphin' was the code name of the Gamecube before it was announced. 'Revolution' was the code name for the Wii before it was announced. 'Devolution' is a combination of the word 'Dolphin' and 'Revolution'. What you are quoting is simply the derivation of the name of the project.

19. calmwaters
    OP

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Exactly.

20. Krestent

Krestent What to post?

Mar 31, 2009
    United States
    Donlphin the emulator has nothing to do with Devolution, which is referencing, as people have said, Dolphin the game console. I don't see what point you're trying to make.