Hacking Installed Letterbomb, now what?

lexluthor5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an older Wii running system menu 4.3u.

I've successfully run Letterbomb and have the Wii Homebrew channel and bootmii installed (IOS method).

I want to play Wii games off either a backed up DVD (preferable initially) or USB HD (maybe down the road).

I'm sorry, I've read guide after guide and can't quite figure it all out.

What do I do to complete the process that will allow me to do this?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Now that you have the Homebrew Channel, You can launch some homebrew by placing them on your SD card, in apps folder :
SD:/apps/homebrew folder name/boot.dol

Some homebrew, like USBloaders, require that you install custom IOS which enable USB access.

You can follow modmii tutorial to install such cIOS.
Then download any USBloader you want and launch it like any other homebrew.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are like 5 threads on the first page all asking the same question. Gotta love the first week after a new exploit...

lexluthor5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've read a lot of the guides/posts, but still not sure.

I've run modmii and followed the guide to create the SD Card.

Where does it tell me what to do next now that I have the modmii card with all of these new files on it?

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ModMii Sticky said:
How to mod your Wii

•Run ModMii, from the Main Menu enter "W" to start the ModMii Wizard

•When asked if your Wii is a virgin, you can answer yes "Y" even if your Wii is not a virgin in order to re-hack your Wii and update all your Wii's softmods. You should only answer no "N" if you know specifically what softmods need updating or if you only want to change your system menu version.

•Answer the questions ModMii asks about your Wii, it's very simple, so I won't even go into the details, but here's a video tutorial made by Pepxl based on v4.0.1. Later versions work much in the same way, so its still a great tutorial even if you are using a newer version.

•Wait until the program is done working, verify that all the files downloaded successfully, then (if you didn't change the drive letter to your SD card) locate the newly created folder called "COPY_TO_SD". Copy everything inside this folder to the root of your SD card (merge folders if it asks).

Now just follow the generated guide.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
lexluthor5 said:

Where does it tell me what to do next now that I have the modmii card with all of these new files on it?
*sigh*

In the folder on your computer where ModMii created the files, there should be a read me file. Copy all the files to the root of your SD card, put the SD card in the Wii and follow the instructions in the read me.

lexluthor5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bowser said:
lexluthor5 said:

*sigh*

In the folder on your computer where ModMii created the files, there should be a read me file. Copy all the files to the root of your SD card, put the SD card in the Wii and follow the instructions in the read me.
Like I said, I'm sorry. I don't want to brick my wii. I just re-did bootmii as boot2 and am running a NAND now, just in case.

It's just not as clear as you might think if you've been doing this a long time.

When you say "should be a read me file", I guess you mean the ModMiiGuide.txt file? When you don't want to brick your device, little details like that are important.

In that guide, I already have HBC and Bootmii, so do I totally skip over #1?

#2 is the NAND backup and I've got that covered.

#3 and #4, ok, I guess I can follow that

#5, I just install everything?

Rest, I guess I'll get to if I make it passed #5

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you've got bootmii as boot2 then you really don't have to worry about bricking your Wii...

It's really best to fully understand what you are doing before you do it. Google CompleteSG if you want to learn a little bit. Continue with ModMii if you just want to get it over with.

Yes, continue from the steps that you haven't completed on your own in the guide ModMii generated for you.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if you are afraid or not sure of something, keep reading a lot of other user's thread until you completely understand how your wii is working, and what you have to do with.
Don't be impatient, don't do thing on a hunch. be sure to follow exactly what other users or guides are telling you, and it will be fine
smile.gif

lexluthor5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. Did all of that. Just didn't know what I had to instal like 15 files like that, but I guess I do.

So I've now got a USB loader channel, which I guess I load games off a USB-HD with (once I figure out how to put them on there).

I also installed a neogamma channel that seems to let me load games off a backedup DVD.

I think I'm good.

Thanks all!

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan said:
if you are afraid or not sure of something, keep reading a lot of other user's thread until you completely understand how your wii is working, and what you have to do with.
Don't be impatient, don't do thing on a hunch. be sure to follow exactly what other users or guides are telling you, and it will be fine
smile.gif

how do you edit a post without it saying "post edited by..."? Is that one of your Mod superpowers?
tongue.gif

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Old8oy said:
Cyan said:
smile.gif

how do you edit a post without it saying "post edited by..."? Is that one of your Mod superpowers?
tongue.gif
It sure is! One of the perks of being a mod
tongue.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yeah, it is.

When I add [Reason for edit: blablabla] I usually disable the "edited by" to not have both at the same time.
But it's memorized, so when next I do a quickedit, There's no choice to re-add it
tongue.gif

(and I (quick) edit my posts a lot)

lexluthor5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there anything else I should do/install at this point?

Anything else to install?

Since I didn't brick it, is it ok to uninstall bootmii from boot2? I'd rather not have to explain to everyone that they have to hit the reset button each time they turn on the wii to get to the main system menu.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Never un-install it.

It's a protection for any future brick that could happen.
It will let you boot into a homebrew or bootmii instead of booting the system menu, and will let you re flash your NAND with the backup you did.

It can also be used to launch your Wii directly into the Homebrew channel, instead of the Wii menu, so you can access your homebrew more quickly.
You can edit the ini file in bootmii/ folder on your SD card, or use a homebrew (Bootmii Config editor) to edit it directly from your Wii.

Edit:
Ah, and also, you don't need to press reset.
You can set delay to 0 second to autoboot/bypass Bootmii screen. OR delete the bootmii folder on your Wii.
Don't delete the bootmii Boot2 on your Wii, only the folder on your SD card (or better, rename it instead of deleting it, it can still be usefull).

Your best choice is to set it to 0 second.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan said:
yeah, it is.

When I add [Reason for edit: blablabla] I usually disable the "edited by" to not have both at the same time.
But it's memorized, so when next I do a quickedit, There's no choice to re-add it
tongue.gif

phew, thought I was losing it for a second there...
tongue.gif

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
lexluthor5 said:
Is there anything else I should do/install at this point?

Anything else to install?

Since I didn't brick it, is it ok to uninstall bootmii from boot2? I'd rather not have to explain to everyone that they have to hit the reset button each time they turn on the wii to get to the main system menu.
You can make Bootmii automatically launch into the system menu. Use a homebrew tool called Bootmii Configuration Editor.

lexluthor5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I see, it'll eventually go to the system menu and I see that I can use bootmii to change that delay.

So, I'm ok with copying the key.bin and nand.bin files to my PC and deleting that off the SD card?

What can I delete off my modmii card now?

Can I delete the whole WAD folder?

What about in apps? Do I no longer need (and can delete) IOS236 mod, mmm, priloader and SIP?

I guess I'd leave hackmii, usbloader_cfg and yawmm?

Anything else that I should delete/keep?

Oh, also I just noticed that even if I have bootmii installed as boot2, it still doesn't load if the SD Card isn't in there. I didn't realize that. I guess that stays on the SD card then for sure!

[

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this is him being described +1