Install Unity exported CIA through FBI

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by HaloBenish, Sep 13, 2016.

1. HaloBenish
    OP

HaloBenish GBAtemp Fan

Feb 1, 2008
    Canada
    Is this possible?

2. Wolfy

Wolfy Person That Never Was

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere In The Aether...
    No reason as to why it couldn't, it's still a .cia file as long as it was from Nintendo's Developer Tools, but it makes it impossible for someone to share any work they've created using.

3. HaloBenish
    OP

HaloBenish GBAtemp Fan

Feb 1, 2008
    Canada
    It doesn't install for me, how do I sign development CIAs so they can be installed through fbi?

4. Wolfy

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    You can't sign a .cia as you are not Nintendo, but FBI able to install unsigned works so it shouldn't matter.

But if it is not working, then we cannot really help you out as Nintendo basically has a noose around your neck if you do anything they don't like.

But we can help wit FBI not working, does it give an error?

5. HaloBenish
    OP

HaloBenish GBAtemp Fan

Feb 1, 2008
    Canada
    Yea it gives the invalid signature error or something. I have n3ds with fbi and it allows installing unsigned cias, it won't allow me to install the unity built cia file though. I am going to try and decompile that cia then recompile it and try installing it. I might be stuck buying a 3ds dev kit though.

Last edited by HaloBenish, Sep 13, 2016
  6. Wolfy

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    I don't quite remember, and don't answer this as you are apart of the program, but for everyone else, does experimental works run on non-dev 3DSes?

7. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Dev CIAs are encrypted using an unknown keyset which differs from normal keys. Unity will also have created a *.cci file. That's a gamecard image (same as *.3ds), and uses the normal keyset. You can either rename it *.3dz and use in gateway, or convert it to a cia using tools found elsewhere on the temp.

Ryccardo likes this.
  8. HaloBenish
    OP

HaloBenish GBAtemp Fan

Feb 1, 2008
    Canada
    I'm using 3ds to cia on a cci renamed to 3ds. It gives me a decryption failed trying to build the cia...

EDIT: I'm a dummy, looks like I need to install python and do some more research

9. HaloBenish
    OP

HaloBenish GBAtemp Fan

Feb 1, 2008
    Canada
    So the cci to cia converted file installed fine but throws an error upon booting... Should I be installing with FBI or some Dev Menu thing? Should I install to SD or NAND? Should I install to sysnand or emunand? Pasta(sys), Luma(red), or Rei(emu)?

10. Wolfy

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    The CFW doesn't matter as long as it allows you to install and run unsigned .cias. Install to SD, because you should never install to NAND as that is used for updates and such, though I installed Super Mario 3D Land and no matter how many times I format I'll always have one good game by default :3

And again, FBI is fine but it doesn't matter as long as you have access to installing .cias.

Make sure you are exporting it from Unity in a correct format?

11. HaloBenish
    OP

HaloBenish GBAtemp Fan

Feb 1, 2008
    Canada
    Yea, I get the CCI and CIA from Unity and installed to emunand via fbi, still can't get past an error has occurred screen. I can play my backups installed via cia/fbi fine in emunand though.

12. Wolfy

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    Have you tried the .cia? Or only the converted CCI? Just something to try even if it doesn't work x3

13. HaloBenish
    OP

HaloBenish GBAtemp Fan

Feb 1, 2008
    Canada
    both...

Only converted cci is installing but it crashes on boot

14. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Try it with an empty project.
    Also, how did you get the 3DS build option to activate? I have the official thing from Nintendo, but it doesn't have a 3DS or Wii U option

15. Wolfy

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    [Caution!!] When talking about anything related to the Nintendo Developer Program that you have learned/acquired by being a part of it.

16. Svaethier

Svaethier GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 2, 2013
    United States
    Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
    Don't know why you want to use a dev tool unless you plan on actually developing something :/

17. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    The first thing I said about the unknown keyset was said by someone else on the temp. The second thing was a question, so NDA doesn't apply to me. (It would to the answerer though, but if they downloaded from a leak instead of NDA, they can answer)

In the meantime, I figured it out.

18. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I believe the keys are actually known, but I have no idea how you'd decrypt it to make it work on retail 3DSes.

19. devleon

devleon Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2016
    Gambia, The
    How did you get it to run?

20. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Read the instructions on Nintendo's website carefully, and make a note of the product keys.