Inquiry About Homebrew Development

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Sasori, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Sasori
    OP

Sasori GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    I recently started learning how to make Homebrew for the Xbox 360 and would like to tie in my learnings with the 3ds scene by making a tool to connect my 3ds to my console. However I had a question in regards to the development of this application.

The xbox uses C# which is different from the 3ds so my question is. How would I be able to include the correct dependency in my 3ds application?

i.e. the 360 would use the following DLLs

Code:
    using JRPC_Client
    using xDevkit
    While I see the 3ds is setup completely differently with an "h" file.

Would someone be willing to shed some light on this, or point me in the right direction?

2. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    An .h file is a header file for C/C++. You can't program homebrew on the 3DS in C#. You can, however use Lua and/or C/C++.

3. Sasori
    OP

Sasori GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    That is what Im trying to figure out. Im trying to use C++ currently. However is it possible to call the required dependencies with this, if they are from a dll?

All the DLL does is point to the plugin that is on the console that i am trying to control

4. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    You can use Obj-C, which you possibly may be familiar with. Though I'm wondering about the usefulness of connecting a 3DS to a 360. And no, you wouldn't be able to call a DLL on a 3DS since that's a Windows specific format (dynamically linked library). The 3DS is a lot more similar to UNIX.

Last edited by Joom, Feb 5, 2016
  5. Sasori
    OP

Sasori GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    Convenience really. If you have a modified console there are some things you can do that involve RTE :)

if I use obj-c for this application I should be able to call that dll and build without issue?

6. TheCruel

TheCruel Developer

Banned
    Dec 6, 2013
    United States
    You need static linking, dynamic linking won't work, especially linking with windows dlls. You will need to recompile those libraries into static archives using a cross-compiler (presumably devkitARM).

Sasori likes this.
  7. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    No. Sorry, edited my post before you replied. The XBOX family uses a modified version of Windows (OG uses WinXP, and 360 and XBONE use WIN 8/10), much like the iPhone uses a heavily modified version of Darwin and OS X.

Last edited by Joom, Feb 5, 2016
    Sasori likes this.
  8. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    Shame nobody's made patches for the ro module for CFW yet. It'd be cool to load dynamic libraries (CROs) with it.

TheCruel likes this.
  9. Sasori
    OP

Sasori GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    Thank you. Ill look into find the source of this DLL to see if I can get a header out of it :)

I appreciate the help. I thought it would be cool to send some cool xNotifies to my console from the other side of the room lol
    xNotify in question

10. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    You can do something similar using the Notification API, but I forget what the actual call is. Refer to 3dbrew.org for more information.