Hacking Inexplicable Harmod Fail

vinci89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you are getting the blue screen error without a SD reader connected, something is bridged.

Yeh I just tried it,I do get the blue screen error before connecting to he reader . What exactly do you mean by bridged? And where do u think it has happened ?

vinci89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Post a picture of the soldering in the 3DS and we'll be able to tell you.

Take a photo of sd adapter and 3ds in one picture with all soldering.

Sure. I will post it ASAP. Got to warn you, much like my other photo of adapter soldering, it's not a pretty picture. :blush: But I want to get to the bottom of this. Have had this bricked sucker for way too long.

Update(pic):

image.jpg

Last edited by vinci89,

torpedo_XL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sure. I will post it ASAP. Got to warn you, much like my other photo of adapter soldering, it's not a pretty picture. :blush: But I want to get to the bottom of this. Have had this bricked sucker for way too long.

Update(pic):

image.jpg

Omg dat soldering :)

Best case some cold soldering. Or short circuit but unharmed motherboard. When you clean up tihs soldering mess and resolder porperly and carefully it will work.

Worst case you make a short circuit and f*cked up some components on motherboard. Congratulations you have a new brick. Hard to find what cause the trobule this case.
Maybe only erased bootloader or something(i am not expert at nintendo hardware).
Maybe components burned when you power up things and need to be replaced(i dunno some ordinary guy can do this).

Take @vb_encryption_vb's advice and take it to good repair shop. Because i think you can't clean up this mess with your soldering skills :)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Update(pic):

image.jpg
That looks really messy, looks like way too much solder on the red cable and it might be bridging to the chip underneath it, it's a bit hard to tell for the other two because the picture quality is not great, I'm no expert though so better take vb_encryption_vb's advice.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you use soldering flux? What works for me is putting a bit of flux on the wire, a bit of flux on the solder point, then a tiny bit of solder on the point and on the wire. After that you can solder it to the point really easily. I've only done temp mods, but this is how my micro sd adapter turned out.

wPa5MKE.jpg

vinci89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
:) Alright , it is what it is. No one does 3ds repair around here, so searched around and waited for a long time. It was a bricked either way.

@vb_encryption_vb , I will take it to back to the shop again & see what he can do. You are right tho, I did learn soldering just two weeks ago, this seems advance.
Did you use soldering flux? What works for me is putting a bit of flux on the wire, a bit of flux on the solder point...I've only done temp mods, but this is how my micro sd adapter turned out.

wPa5MKE.jpg

I did use liquid flux, alchohal swabs to clean etc . I think the fault lies in lack of practice/expertise. And that's some beautiful microSD soldering , you show-off!:P

P.S- Will update this thread, in case someone lands up in same shit/ or curious to know if my 3ds will ever rise again from the dead. Thanks for the help!

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:) Alright , it is what it is. No one does 3ds repair around here, so searched around and waited for a long time. It was a bricked either way.

@vb_encryption_vb , I will take it to back to the shop again & see what he can do. You are right tho, I did learn soldering just two weeks ago, this seems advance.

I did use liquid flux, alchohal swabs to clean etc . I think the fault lies in lack of practice/expertise. And that's some beautiful microSD soldering , you show-off!:P

P.S- Will update this thread, in case someone lands up in same shit/ or curious to know if my 3ds will ever rise again from the dead. Thanks for the help!

Any electronic shop with soldering experience should be able to remove the excess solder. Hopefully nothing fried...

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Update(pic):
image.jpg

dear lord that soldering :0. You'll be incredibly lucky if that hasn't blown something, definitely just don't do anything else, take the other members advice and seek help at a mobile repair shop or something.

I didn't expect it to look that bad haha.

I personally use a thinner gauge wire for hard mods and I twist the ends before tinning them so they have a very fine tip, and I use resin-core solder, not feeling the need to use flux, which it looks like you used in excess also.

I hope for your sake this gets resolved and I'm actually interested to know what happens, so once you get it looked at, come back and tell us please :P

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Yeah looks like it's the dat point bridging the resistor array, but all the pads have way too much solder on them, either ask around for a repair shop that will take a look at consider sending it off to someone,

it's these kinda of things that made me never want to write a hardmod guide.....because tbh it's like doing a " do your own heart surgery" guide .....there is too much room for error if you dont really know what your doing

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah looks like it's the dat point bridging the resistor array, but all the pads have way too much solder on them, either ask around for a repair shop that will take a look at consider sending it off to someone,

it's these kinda of things that made me never want to write a hardmod guide.....because tbh it's like doing a " do your own heart surgery" guide .....there is too much room for error if you dont really know what your doing
I couldn't disagree more. I'm really glad the info's available. I would've been screwed a bunch of times if it wasn't.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I couldn't disagree more. I'm really glad the info's available. I would've been screwed a bunch of times if it wasn't.
You can disagree all you like, but as I said it's why I never wanted to write a guide as the info was already freely available, it just want made so noob enticing that there has been several killed consoles due to it being presented as something any old noob can do if they go buy a soldering iron and have 10 mins spare

Reactions: Seriel

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can disagree all you like, but as I said it's why I never wanted to write a guide as the info was already freely available, it just want made so noob enticing that there has been several killed consoles due to it being presented as something any old noob can do if they go buy a soldering iron and have 10 mins spare
Oh, my bad. I know you said "I", but I thought you were implying that you'd prefer it if there wasn't a guide. Sorry. This is quote is from the guide so I think it gives a pretty fair warning.

"Before we begin the tutorial, it is CRUCIAL that you know/have experience soldering. There are many videos on YouTube on how to solder, and I will link a few at the end of this guide. Soldering takes practice to learn and get the hang of, so don't just blindly jump into modding without a solid understanding of soldering, because most likely YOU WILL BREAK YOUR DEVICE"

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Oh, my bad. I know you said "I", but I thought you were implying that you'd prefer it if there wasn't a guide. Sorry. This is quote is from the guide so I think it gives a pretty fair warning.

"Before we begin the tutorial, it is CRUCIAL that you know/have experience soldering. There are many videos on YouTube on how to solder, and I will link a few at the end of this guide. Soldering takes practice to learn and get the hang of, so don't just blindly jump into modding without a solid understanding of soldering, because most likely YOU WILL BREAK YOUR DEVICE"
yeah but it's like making a "noob friendly diy open heart bypass" thread....sure you can say "you must be a qualified heart surgeon, but the fact it's so dumbed down makes it seem very attractive to (for lack of a better word) noobs, and the thing about noobs, one of their main features is a insane ability to skim over warnings and skip steps on even the most "noob friendly" of guides

basically all I am saying is that hardmods are never noob friendly, and trying to put it forward as such only invites things like this to happen

the truth is at one point fairly early on I had made a full video guide on doing hardmods, I was about to publish it and seen 2 threads where people had messed up so badly and we're still under the belief that they had done a mighty fine job despite part being missing and what looked like a hardmod performed by blowtorch I decided I didn't want to be responsible for such messups XD

PS sorry op I am not trying to make a big point of this ofcourse everyone is more than welcome to give things a go and from the looks of it you are willing to accept your mistake which is nice, but that's not always the case and sometimes people who mess up go on the attack and blame everyone else for their mistake, it's those kinds of people I would discourage from trying anything :)

good luck on getting it sorted and sorry if it came across that I had a rant as that wasn't my intention I just wanted to clarify what I meant in my initial comment as it seems I came across wrong :/

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: Seriel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D