Hacking Inexplicable Harmod Fail

vinci89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I followed the harmod guide to a T. My only concern was mediocre soldering skills. I practiced for a two weeks and did the hardmod. The blue screen popped up-
Code:
BOOTROM 8046 ERRCODE:  00F800FE
00000000 00000000
00000400 0000000

Then I used Transcend RDp8K reader( recommended on the guide here) , inserted my microSd adapter, but on serval tries one of the two things happen-
A) The computer Hangs
B) The drive is recognized but it's 0 bytes and on clicking says " insert valid drive". Win32imager doesn't seem to recognize it.

I re soldered these sd card adapter wires, in case they were the problem.
image.jpg

Would appreciate any help.

Last edited by vinci89,

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I followed the harmod guide to a T. My only concern was mediocre soldering skills. I practiced for a two weeks and did the hardmod. The blue screen popped up-
Code:
00000000 00000000
00000400 0000000

Then I used Transcend RDp8K reader( recommended on the guide here) , inserted my microSd adapter, but on serval tries one of the two things happen-
A) The computer Hangs
B) The drive is recognized but it's 0 bytes and on clicking says " insert valid drive". Win32imager doesn't seem to recognize it.

(snip)

I actually had a similar problem when trying to use a "confirmed working" card reader, it would just hang or if I played around with it enough, it would eventually say it needs to be formatted, but still wouldn't read. I had better luck using a different reader, the sweex cr006, but that's an oldie and probably isn't available. All I can suggest is try borrow one from a friend or family and see if theirs works?

edit: although that is all assuming you're talking about a n3ds and not the o3ds, since the o3ds doesn't have any problems at all with most, if not all readers

Last edited by DrunkenMonk,

vinci89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am on the old 3ds Xl actually. I do have two other readers(random brands), they don't hang but don't recognize the adapter at all. Just greyed out empty drives.

Also I think the needs formatting error is normal. Wish I got that at least. :|

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
I have the same transcend card reader and 0 hardmods worked on it so far. I got an anker one to test, but it's on its way.

vinci89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have you tried in a different PC?

Yeh tried them on 3 different laptops. No luck

Sd card is wired wrong.

Could you please elaborate. I just cross checked with the guide + multiple other sources, unable to find the mistake. Is it the quality of soldering ?

I have the same transcend card reader and 0 hardmods worked on it so far. I got an anker one to test, but it's on its way.

This sucks. The guide needs to be updated then, cuz I painstainkingly acquired this old model specifically for harmod. Also could you let me know here or PM if anker works. Thanks

Last edited by vinci89,

vinci89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hell ? Sure, like I said in OP, don't have the greatest soldering skills despite weeks of practice:blush:
Wired backwards? Um how exactly do u mean??

For The order of wiring I followed this
3DS_NAND_Restore_06.jpg

Last edited by vinci89,

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
try to clean up your solder. looks like you used more than you needed to. It could also be that you need a different sd adapter.

Ante0

Trophies
XP
Country
Hell ? Sure, like I said in OP, don't have the greatest soldering skills despite weeks of practice:blush:
Wired backwards? Um how exactly do u mean??

For The order of wiring I followed this
3DS_NAND_Restore_06.jpg

It's not wrong.
But it looks like white and green are touching?
Try bending the "pins" up and in different directions, could be easier to not soldering them together/not melt the sdcards plastic.
Then bend them back when you're done with it.

Reactions: vinci89

vinci89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's not wrong.
But it looks like white and green are touching?
Try bending the "pins" up and in different directions, could be easier to not soldering them together/not melt the sdcards plastic.
Then bend them back when you're done with it.

Well thanks for the tip, but after a few tries I got the soldering done from a mobile repair guy, & is much cleaner than my attempt.But the transcend reader still doesn't recognize it. Nor do 2 others on three different laptops. :unsure:

vinci89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Previously generic micro sd adapter & now a Sandisk one. Cable is a usb cable with 4 small wires inside. The cable was working fine, used to charge old PS3 controllers.

Laptops tried asus + Hp windows 10 & a Mac 2013

Last edited by vinci89,

vinci89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Um i don't know if you got the right picture. This is what I meant.( now I redid this basically with a new microSd Adapter & it Still doesn't work) .

image.jpg

The usb cable with 4 wires is soldered onto 3ds at points mentioned on the guide.

Edit: vb_encryption I see you do these mods on a professional level, sadly i no longer live there.

Last edited by vinci89,

vinci89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Neither. DAT0. This is the color coding I am following ( based off a youtube tutorial which used a similar usb cable)

image.jpg

Also, vb_encryption what brand of reader do u use?

Last edited by vinci89,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Code:
00000000 00000000
00000400 0000000

A) The computer Hangs

image.jpg

If you are getting the blue screen error without a SD reader connected, something is bridged.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended