Indie RPG platformer, SOUL THIEF, from GBAtemp member gets its first demo

SOUL THIEF

After two years of development, we (Red Horizon) are proud to announce that we can finally show our game to the public as a demo version. SOUL THIEF is an RPG which means that there is a story, quests, NPCs etc. but it's also a Platformer with puzzles, parkour and enemies!

You can find the description of the game down below (please note that there is less content in the demo and only the first zone is accessible) :

-- DISCOVER ! --
Soul Thief is a fully fledged RPG ! You'll get to collect items, solve mysteries, meet new people and more importantly... Discover the truth about yourself. Your journey begins when you wake up in a monster's body with no memories whatsoever. Trying to recover from your amnesia, you'll look for your original body, hoping you can re-fuse your Soul with it. However, your problems are much deeper than it seems...

-- FIGHT ! --
Monsters are everywhere ! Even though you're a magical creature yourself you have a human Soul. Unfortunately for you, other monsters don't and that's why they consider you as an enemy. But don't worry, you have access to a wide arsenal of swords, potions and magical ores that you can infuse in your weapons to upgrade them. And remember, only the fittest shall survive.

-- OVERCOME ! --
The world you will evolve in is no other than the vast archipelago of Oforia. Your adventure will lead you to explore diversified landscapes ranging from freezing plains to the heart of blazing volcanoes. All the cities are linked to each other by natural paths, where monsters are not the only threat : platforming obstacles and puzzles are also part of the challenge with their load of secrets. Can you find every hidden chest ?

:arrow:Download

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
First of all, kudos to you and good luck! Hope you will bring us honor!
Secondly, what engine does it run on?
and Lastly, that piece of music is enough to make me interested in your game. Can't wait to hear more! :)

Last edited by RedoLane,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Are suggestions welcome? I hope.

My suggestions:
  • Make it a priority to let the user play without using a mouse, having to reach to the mouse to select YES/NO/CONTINUE etc in menus/talking is kind of annoying, it would be better if you could just select the given answer/option using arrow keys / wasd.
  • Add proper gamepad support, for some reason when I try to use my XBONE gamepad the up and down are switched with left and right and action buttons are not mapped (joy2key is a workaround but you still need to reach the mouse to select answers)
  • Hmm... I would say make the tutorial easier to follow, specially the part about parrying?... well, I noticed I suck at parrying, perhaps I should git gud.
  • I caught a weird bug just after killing the enemy in the tutorial: when the new level started I tried to break open the door but I got "out of energy" and the energy never charged back. Not sure how I triggered the bug, but quick saving and loading again made it work.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

My suggestions:
  • Make it a priority to let the user play without using a mouse, having to reach to the mouse to select YES/NO/CONTINUE etc in menus/talking is kind of annoying, it would be better if you could just select the given answer/option using arrow keys / wasd.
  • Add proper gamepad support, for some reason when I try to use my XBONE gamepad the up and down are switched with left and right and action buttons are not mapped (joy2key is a workaround but you still need to reach the mouse to select answers)
  • Hmm... I would say make the tutorial easier to follow, specially the part about parrying?... well, I noticed I suck at parrying, perhaps I should git gud.
  • I caught a weird bug just after killing the enemy in the tutorial: when the new level started I tried to break open the door but I got "out of energy" and the energy never charged back. Not sure how I triggered the bug, but quick saving and loading again made it work.
agreed

antiNT

:)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar

My suggestions:
Gamepad support is definitely planned and will be added as soon as possible.
We're going to make an animation when you fail a parry, I think that's a better option.
For the bug, I'm gonna see if I can reproduce it and fix it.

Thank you for playing and for your suggestions.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks like a cool metroid-vania with rpg elements.
That said im going to have to be that guy and say its not really a RPG. That of course does not take anything away from it. I'm not putting down your game either. I definitely gonna try the demo. You think you might bring it to switch if it becomes popular?

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Some impressions after trying the demo (written as I played):

-The lack of an options menu. We have no idea of what can be customized or what are the buttons to press going in.

-I feel the character's animations are really sluggish. The movement loop for the feet is not resetting properly, and feels too slow for the character's speed.

-Unskippable cut-scenes should not exist anymore, even the opening one. Really annoying to have to go through it again after dying.

-Text is overlapping on the debug screen (P button), at least when playing at 1366x768@60Hz, but I think it's not meant for the end user anyway, so...

soul thief.png

-Opinion here, but I really despise overpixelated graphics. The game was OK until I found the Diary (J button). That's a bit too much.

-Some typos ("Pary" on the tutorial after killing the dummy), and the Parry does not stun the dummy at all (it should, so we know the parry actually worked). Nor it looks like a parry with that follow up attack.

-Some keys should not be used to fast forward text (specifically Alt and Tab) since they are used to leave the screen.

-Just reiterating what has been already said: Mouse should be entirely optional here, or even removed. Not having an option to see the cursor also sucks for a multi monitor setup.

-Wall Jump initial speed being lower than regular jump speed feels terrible.

-No jump attack, or no attacking while jumping feels bad too.

-Having clear text together with pixelated text, like the game over screen, also feels very weird.

Overall, the game looks fine, but needs quite a bit of improvements. Keep at it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :whip: