In the lieu of SOPA/PIPA protest, the ACTA Agreement is adopted

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Time to move to Switzerland.
Euhm did you not read the post above? Switzerland joined as well...

Actually they didn't sign the agreement. They're here as negociating party. So basically, the laws in Switzerland won't change, but they'll try to assist countries who signed the agreement (like more controls at the customs)

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
So basically, the laws in Switzerland won't change
That picture clearly says that ACTA is above any country's laws, though.

It's a little bit more complicated... It's not the same for every country. By example, in France, international laws are above national laws. In Italy, they must be accepted and included in national laws (again, there are some exeptions, but again, they must be ratified by some superior institutions). Switzerland is even more complicated (:P) because we're in a direct democracy (which means that we must vote in order to accept the agreement. A good example would be the adhesion to the European Union ; we voted 'no' and that's why the economic crisis had less visible effects on our country. And international treaties have a limit ; you can't actually do much if one of the country doesn't respect the laws. You can still bring them to the International Court of Justice (ICJ), but again, if they don't want to respect the sentence, nobody can force them. The only consequence will be that the relations between the countries will get bad. And the last point is the fact that a country can't apply his laws in another one (the only exeptions are if a treaty is signed and respected by both countries, and major crimes like treason, genocide, murder, etc...)

tl;dr : The laws are not applicable if the country doesn't sign the agreement because it's stipulated in international law that the treaty is valid only for the designated parties, 'just like' a contract

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, ACTA is terrible. Worse then SOPA and PIPA because they can affect other goods outside of the Internet (generic medicine and seeds), but I wonder, when will this agreement start affecting us (or anyone)?
I live in Canada, and this country signed it. When exactly will my Internet start getting filtered through the fine grids of ACTA? I think I saw something about the EU having the final say, but I'm not sure...

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Utter garbage, no one wants use an internet where information is witheld. When you try to control something this much, people will want to leave.

"The Undernet will rise" :ph34r:

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So basically, the laws in Switzerland won't change
That picture clearly says that ACTA is above any country's laws, though.

It's a little bit more complicated... It's not the same for every country. By example, in France, international laws are above national laws. In Italy, they must be accepted and included in national laws (again, there are some exeptions, but again, they must be ratified by some superior institutions). Switzerland is even more complicated ( :P) because we're in a direct democracy (which means that we must vote in order to accept the agreement. A good example would be the adhesion to the European Union ; we voted 'no' and that's why the economic crisis had less visible effects on our country. And international treaties have a limit ; you can't actually do much if one of the country doesn't respect the laws. You can still bring them to the International Court of Justice (ICJ), but again, if they don't want to respect the sentence, nobody can force them. The only consequence will be that the relations between the countries will get bad. And the last point is the fact that a country can't apply his laws in another one (the only exeptions are if a treaty is signed and respected by both countries, and major crimes like treason, genocide, murder, etc...)

tl;dr : The laws are not applicable if the country doesn't sign the agreement because it's stipulated in international law that the treaty is valid only for the designated parties, 'just like' a contract
tl;dr Siwtzerland will suck up as much as possible to the EU and US and will do whatever is asked... just like it has always done

Also the EU signed ACTA :(

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
sauce

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1